Thinking of becoming a Witness again and my reasons for doing so :(

by reniaa 383 Replies latest jw experiences

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It
    Do what pleases you and do not always make decisions in your life by committee

Very well said! But don't make them in a vacuum either! Considering many sides of an issue is a big benefit here.

• reniaa
    reniaa

Yes you have all been very kind in your responses and I have lots to consider, I am going to the memorial (birth allowing) to get a balanced view of both sides but will mainly be in new mum nappy-mode for the next few months so won't be making any drastic changes to my life :)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Yes you have all been very kind in your responses and I have lots to consider, I am going to the memorial (birth allowing) to get a balanced view of both sides but will mainly be in new mum nappy-mode for the next few months so won't be making any drastic changes to my life :)

I really don't think going to the memorial will help you to get a balanced view. You already know the information that is given at the memorial anyway. But added to that, you'll be shunned at the memorial, which will only bring you down. That's really not what you need, especially if you're looking after a new baby. Though if you do go, you'll see just how much (how little) your JW 'friends' really care about you.

But please, please try not to even think in terms of people being either 'in the truth' or 'worldly'. These are harmful concepts designed to make it difficult for you to form close friendships with non-JWs.

• RAYZORBLADE
  • reniaa
    reniaa

Memorial isn't so bad it's fairly short and has a lot of bible scriptures something that always appeals to me :)

you know I had a bad experiance the other week, I fell over in the park while pregnant luckily no harm done accept a cut head and a black eye but what really got to me was a few people in the area saw me fall and no-one came to help me or ask if I was ok, You say the witnesses may shun me thats possible but as you can see from my first post, whats really is getting to me is sometimes things happen that really do make me think the World is "worldly" I ended up walking slowly to casualty my face bleeding no one who passed me even noticed me or did anything.

I am disillusioned with the world is there a forum for that :s

• Gopher
    Gopher
    what really got to me was a few people in the area saw me fall and no-one came to help me or ask if I was ok

Don't let people get to you! There are helpful people in the world, and in the JW's. There are cold, unfeeling people in the world, and in the JW's.

When I was first out of the JW's, I had a situation where I could find out if "worldly" people were bad or not. Due to arthritis in my hips I was using a walking aid, and often had problems with doors or with carrying things.

So many times, I had people offer to open the door or to carry something -- these were complete strangers, who'd never see me again. This was quite different than what I had learned to expect from "worldly" people while I was growing up JW. I had been taught that worldly people are uncaring and deserve to die at Armageddon. What nonsense. There's lots of helpful people, well especially here in the Midwestern USA. Maybe you should move here to see what I mean, maybe people in general are different where you are.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

...and will you shun your sisters if you go back?

It sounds like you want to go "back home" because it was "so nice back then and back there".

Doesn't sound like a good reason to join a church, but then people join churches for all kinds of reasons. I just always though acceptance of teachings should be the reason to join, not that "it was more comfortable".

I think someone once said, You can't go back home...

• M.J.
    M.J.

sorry, didn't get a chance to read the whole thread, but I posted something in the past that seems relevant given certain comments I've seen.

I wish I could just directly display the graph I made in the post but you'll just have to copy and paste this link into the address bar.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/134094/1.ashx

I think it's a good illustration of why "hasty generalization" is a logical fallacy.
    (Google "hasty generalization" if you aren't aware of the term. It's a good concept to be aware of)

• Sirona
    Sirona

The JWs would pick you up in the street but they're all eagerly awaiting the time when God kills 99% of humanity and lets the birds eat the corpses.

When I was JW I looked forward to Armageddon without a care about everyone else outside the JWs. I was told just about three weeks ago, by two JW ladies who I knew from when I was "in" that a sister in the cong was saying that Armageddon was really close and the proof she gave was that we've had an influx of flocks of birds here in the uk (its been in the news) and that this shows that Jehovah is getting the birds ready to eat the corpses.

Really loving religion!

Sirona

• reniaa
    reniaa

Sounds like yopu found a mad 'old bird' there sirona :)

I have to say biblically God did do the Flood thing and more than 99% was killed then, so there is a past of him doing it, I have also just read in exodus him offering to get rid of israelites for moses and have moses seed be the chosen ones he was so upset with the israelites hard-heartedness, Luckily moses managed to dissuade him.

I also think we as men are no different, 2 nuclear bombs dropped without thought of the innocent on towns and bombings by terrorists in town centres, school shootings etc make me wonder can we throw stones that way? I often wonder how I would feel if I was God looking down at us and the millions of ways we find to torture and kill each other, if I would be as ruthless as the flood was? See I told you guys I think to much!

Although if I was stood in front of God now and could ask him a question,... I would ask him "Why couldn't you have made the bible clearer for us, so all this diversity in beliefs could have at least been not so bad.?" You know that would be a good thread header I just thought of it..."If you could ask God one question what would it be?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit