Thinking of becoming a Witness again and my reasons for doing so :(

by reniaa 383 Replies latest jw experiences

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

You said that post and pasting is bad etiquette. It's simply reiterating and agreeing with another's thought and verbage. You are going to find that it's a common and very handy tool in this forum. If you don't like what you hear or read here, then go to those forums that are pro-jw.

Although there are many jw apologists here, they are only beating a muffled drum, IMO. The louder you beat, the less that it is heard. You have been beating your drum louder and louder and now you've noticed that some have taken off the ear muffs along with the GLOVES.

You see, the majority of us here have all been active jw's at one time in our lives. Many of us are 3rd and 4th generation. So, with up to 60 years or more expierence with the jw's we have all seen through the hypocracy of the wtbts. When you put together the vast knowledge and wisdom than has accrued with them, you have to believe that something is deffinately wrong with this so-called TRUTH.

Maybe you just haven't been beaten up enough by them yet. Maybe you haven't had the elders tell you that it is jehovah's hands. That it's being HANDLED. Maybe your child hasn't been moloested, heaven forbid, by an active jw, maybe even an elder. BUT!!! When it does happen, you will not get any JUSTICE from YOUR god and his earthly organization. If there are NO witnesses to the event, you will be told to SHUT UP!!! I KNOW first hand!!!!I have been told those very words.

So, my dear, carry on your little fantasy religious life. Some people need that feel good acceptance from an organization. But, when they turn on YOU, remember where you did hear the TRUTH!!!

NMG

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

It seems to me your are more in search of acceptance that spirituality.

Join a choir, far easier.

• chikikie
    chikikie

I think the lyrics to this song reflect how I feel on the JWs. My thoughts are different from my sister as she used to study the bible intensively, When i went I didnt need validation of the scriptures, I was brought up in it and thus the only religion I knew and other religions dont feel right.

Why I stayed in the JWs until I was 24

A) I believe that there is a GOD

B) I believe that there is a Jesus

C) I believe that the bible is Gods word.

I didnt need any more reasons than that.

The reasons I left.

A) the people were unkind to me

B) I had no friends

C) I was so lonely and didnt want my 4year old child lena to suffer the same fate, they already excluded her from most associations.

Anyway these are the lyrics that remind me very much of the witnesses,

SEWN by the Feeling

Give me the song and I'll sing it like I mean it

Give me the words and I'll say them like I mean it

Cos you got my heart in a headlock

You stop my blood and make my head soft

And God knows

You got me sewn

Danny boy, dont be afraid, to shake that ass and misbehave

Danny boy, I know you got time, but what are you waiting for,

Anyway the dust may just blow away, if you wait for a windy day

But you may find the chance has past you by.

I cant do the walk

I cant do the talk

I cant be your friend

Unless I pretend

So give me the song and I'll sing it like i mean it

So give me the words and I'll say them like i mean it

Cos you got my heart in a headlock

You stop my blood and make my head soft and God knows you got me sewn

• reniaa
    reniaa

BTW, the website has many other quotes and claims that are not well-founded, along with some valid observations (such as the fact that the archaeological remains of crucifixion from Giv'at ha-Mitvar are ambiguous as to whether a crosspiece was used), I would say to be quite cautious about accepting what such sources as Vine, Bullinger, Parsons say at face value, as they are quite erroneous (see my thread for some discussion).

Thank you leolaia for taking the time to answer my question but I do have 2 more sprung from having read the info you provided me with.

1/ from what you said your saying stake is the main way they could have refered to stauros but it could also be used for cross? because no other specific word for cross is given at the time? but you also say this word was used for many ways that romans executed prisoners, what proof do we have that in jesus's case it was a cross not a stake? ( your use of tau is intersting btw) or were all prisoners at jesus's time been confirmed as always been executed on a cross form of stake? I did look up more thoroughly the cross stauros point after your info and found this site, although looking at homepage it might be another JW site i'm unsure but it does gives illustrations:S can you tell me if their observations are on the whole correct aboutexecution crosses that where possibilities?

Methods of Crucifixion

At this point it is important to understand that crucifixions in ancient Rome may actually have employed more than one method. According to Wayne Blank in an article titled Cross or Stake published on his website, Daily Bible Study, there were actually four types of crosses used during Roman crucifixions. Mr. Blank describes them as follows:

The "Latin Cross," or crux immissa, is the traditional cross that is most often portrayed in illustrations and in "crucifixes." It was generally assumed that because a sign was nailed to the post above Jesus (John 19:19), there must have been a section of upright post above the horizontal beam.

The "St. Anthony's Cross," or crux commissa, was actually the most commonly used cross by the Romans for crucifixions. The upright post, which was notched at the top, was already in place. The executed man was tied or nailed to the cross-section, which was then simply lifted up and set into the notch at the top of the upright post. From an engineering point of view, as a reader pointed out to me (thank you Bruce), this was probably the most quickly and easily assembled - and also the strongest, because the weight of the condemned man was drawing down directly into the notch, where it couldn't go anywhere, unlike the traditional cross that had the cross section fastened to the side of the post, which could much more easily pull away. And, since the condemned man hung down below the level of the horizontal beam, there was still plenty of room for a sign to be nailed above his head.

The "Greek Cross" had equal-length vertical and horizontal sections.

The "Saint Andrew's Cross," or crux decussata, was shaped like the letter X, with the two bottom legs set into the ground.

As is clearly visible, each of these representations involves two beams to be used during Roman crucifixions. However, when it comes to Jesus’ crucifixion each of these methods clearly seem to contradict the Biblical record that states the Messiah was executed on a stauros (one beam). As was mentioned earlier stauros means “stake” not “cross.” This being the case, can one know for certain how Jesus was crucified? Although most professing Christians believe the Messiah died on a cross, a stronger case can be made that he actually died on an upright beam. There are two reasons to draw this conclusion. The first relates to the protocol involving how a “two beam” cross was carried to the execution site. The second relates to an event that occurred 1500 years prior to Jesus’ death. Let us examine the first point.

Bearing His Cross

One thing all authorities can agree on is that whatever was used to crucify the Messiah, its weight was truly great. Some scholars have estimated the weight of an entire two piece cross to be between 200 and 300 pounds. The main beam would weigh between 125 and 175 pounds with the cross beam bearing the balance of the weight. Furthermore, the victim who would die on such an instrument would only be required to carry the “tau” or cross beam, which alone weighed anywhere from 75 to 125 pounds (see: The Passion of Jesus Christ by Fr. William Saunders, Dean of the Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom, as published in the Arlington Catholic Herald 1998). But why is this fact important in determining which method of crucifixion Jesus experienced? The answer: PLEANTY! And that answer is revealed in the Messiah’s own words.

The book of Matthew records a time when Jesus was preparing to send His disciples out to proclaim the gospel. When doing so He warned them of the impending persecution they would most assuredly face (Mt. 10:16-23). Jesus then made an extraordinary pronouncement that has gone unnoticed by the vast majority of Christians today. Jesus said:

And he that takes not his cross and follows after Me is not worthy of me (Mt. 10:38)

With these words, Jesus was declaring to His disciples that those who are called must be willing to accept ALL the potential persecution that comes with being His disciple. They must be willing to bear their “cross” (stauros).

But it is possible there was something even more compelling in the Messiah’s words. Something that may very well have declared that He knew His crucifixion would be on an upright beam (stauros). Consider the following: If Jesus was crucified on a literal two beam or “Tau cross”, He would have contradicted His own words. This is because He would only have taken up part of His cross as opposed to the entire instrument of His death. Does anyone honestly believe this is what He did? Furthermore, does anyone honestly believe Jesus was exhorting His followers to only bear part of their cross and to follow him. In other words, if the persecution gets too tough you don’t have to endure it because I only told you to bear part of your cross.

The gospel writers most assuredly declared that Jesus carried every ounce of the horrible object that would be used in His execution. The Messiah carried a stauros, and His words declare that truth. Furthermore, His words may have been more than simply an exhortation. They may actually have been consciously prophetic. In other words it is possible that Jesus was intentionally revealing the specific type of crucifixion He would go through. Although this is conjecture, it is very possible and some renderings of this verse bear this out. Consider the words of The Complete Jewish Bible.

And anyone who does not take up his execution-stake and follow me is not worthy of me. (Matthew 10:38)

http://www.blowthetrumpet.org/TheCrossortheStake.htm

2/ secondly given the importance that the Cross has in modern Christianity wouldn't they have taken time to have refered to it more detailed in form than to casually refer to it, instead taking time to use more detail into how he died and the resurrection? (this might be an unfair question but I am meaning in looking at the language they do certainly spend not much time on the instrument used to kill him using as I think you have showed a commmon word that can denote just the general execution romans used?)

If i've read your conclusions wrong or missed something forgive me :S

reniaa

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Personally, IMO, I never really could understand what's the big deal as to whether it was a cross or a stake. Some folks just have to have some symbol of a martyr's death, don't they. Why are we at this late date still debating this issue?? Jw's make such a big deal out of it, don't they. Hey! Just live and let live on this matter,eh??

For the most part, without the few biblical accounts of jesus, there is NO secular historical record of jesus. Don't get me wrong here, I was a jw for well over 40 years. Now with out the aid of the wts I want more evidence of this man before I will believe or debate the cross/stake issue. I am a REALIST, and I am not deluded by fantasy any longer.

NMG

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Oh, and becoming an active witness again......A ROMANTIC NOTION is all it is.

NMG

• real one
    real one

I dont understand how you feel so strongly about those liars. They have been proven to be liars time and time again, failed prophecies. They are an idol. If you serve with them you will be considered to be an idol worshipper. They are not believers of God. They say they are but look at their fruits. They are murderers and they shut off the kingdom of heaven, matt 23:13.

They will find their fate as in Isaiah 44. The christian community does not consider them christian. they have their own Bible. no other christian group uses that Bible. Why do you think not? Dont let them fool you. there are true Bible believing christians out there. you must pray to God to find them, but more importantly you must read the Bible, kjv or niv, preferably

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Real one, I have to admit, for once I agree with you on something. Your first paragraph. But don't get too encouraged by that, I still don't like your preachiness. Just tone it down a bit and save it for outsiders.

NMG

• Robdar
    Robdar

If you want to go back to being a JW, then go. It doesn't sound like you really left it anyway. Good luck.

• reniaa
    reniaa

You said that post and pasting is bad etiquette. It's simply reiterating and agreeing with another's thought and verbage. You are going to find that it's a common and very handy tool in this forum. If you don't like what you hear or read here, then go to those forums that are pro-jw.

You read that post incorrectly and maybe I should have taken an example of the post I was talking about, I have no problem with posting and pasting as you said it is a handy tool, but that the person involved had gone through all my posts from other threads that are not on this thread and pasted them onto her post on this thread, maybe i'm old-fashioned but in all my time in posting on forums quoting peoples words from other threads that way has always been considered bad etiquette but maybe it is not considered bad form on this forum.

My sister told me and encourage me to come on as a way to explore why I wanted to go back to being a witness and meet people like me who are undecided, but obviously she was mistaken while some have been very nice and from my words can understand exactly where my head is at, Others have taken my thoughts and explorations especially ones that have made me reconsider witnesses as some sort of trolling or attempt at reconverting people and like you said the Gloves came off. It doesn't really paint people on your forum in a good light in this case.

You say on go on a pro-jw forum so therefore this is not one, therefore I would be wondering why you call this forum ;-

jehovah's-witness discusion forum .com everyone welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit