Thinking of becoming a Witness again and my reasons for doing so :(

by reniaa 383 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gopher
    Gopher
    See I told you guys I think to much!

No, it's good to have open discussions like this. The way I see it, the God of the Bible and man both have guilty histories of mass slaughter. However, the slaughter anticipated by the JW's at Armageddon would make anything mankind has ever done seem like childplay. If 6 billion people were to die suddenly at his hand, that would be the equivalent of 2 million 9/11's. How horrific. And I think it's sick for any "loving" religionist to wish this to happen.

What do you think about this proposition: The Bible is a collection of books written by men to inspire service to the Israelite God (just like other holy books inspire devotion to their gods or leaders). And the flood never really happened because it is not scientific. (Do some research, you may see the point.) There is conventional geology, and "Flood geology" which tries to superimpose the Bible account onto known data, but contradicts conventional geology. Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_geology

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Enjoy your Memorial. It sounds like you are expecting to be welcomed back with
    open arms. Let us know how that goes, but don't forget to see a therapist or call
    a hotline before doing something drastic if it doesn't go as hoped.

You may enjoy the Memorial, you may be welcomed with open arms. You may
    find unconditional love among the JW's. And Armageddon may come this year.

• reniaa
    reniaa

Lol I got all the 'Flooding' kicked out of me as a regular on the Atheist forums, it's a favourite of theirs, second only to where's proof of exodus and jesus's miracles. I would say those 3 are the mainstays of atheists arguements against the bible, with agnostics it's mainly the 'he can't be a God from the bible because he creates to much suffering.

It did occur to me once a scenario where God could do the type of 'destroy everybody' thing with some justification and that is if we were ourselves about to destroy the earth and he had to step in to stop us? I wonder could we have the amount of scientific power to do that and unknowingly put the earth in great peril and could that justify him stepping in ruthlessly?

You know when I was a practising Witness and went to the memorial everytime time, I wasn't this evil alien being with a loving smile plastered on my face waiting to suck people in, I was just a normal person usually wondering if I'd locked the front door lol I always was in rush memorial night! The thing is I remember people fading from our congregation and I have to admit as a shy sister I never visited a lot but when I did sometimes it was made quite clear I was unwanted at their homes,

We say after DF/DA or just fading, witnesses shun us but if we are honest and you find the JW's isn't for you, don't you yourselves do a bit of the pushing away? I know I did, I'll be honest when I faded, I deliberately avoided witnesses always making sure I wasn't home at likely visiting times and I also moved away out of old friends reach because some did still try and encourage me to come back.

I just don't remember being as borg-like as you would have me be when I was a witness, I just remember loving Jehovah and shock horror! I enjoyed the door to door work, I also had some good friends who were real and I think would still talk to me if I contacted them but I choose not too especially as I'm not sure I want to go back.

• TD
    TD

Hi.

I'm an unbelieving spouse of an active JW (My wife.) I don't have any problem with JW's believing and practising their religion if it makes them happy so I honestly don't have an axe to grind here.

You said:

I have to say biblically God did do the Flood thing and more than 99% was killed then, so there is a past of him doing it,

Do you accept the literal interpretation that the JW's attach to the flood story? (Even my JW wife doesn't)

• TD
    TD

MJ's graph:

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I dont believe most of the JWs who are JWs actually believe everything the WT say is inspired from god!

And everything about the WT - everything!!! - depends upon that premise!

Otherwise what thay say is not from god - interpretations of men in fact and as such no better than some other academic working it all out!

That's why they so insist on it!!

So get real and ask yourself do you believe they are wired to god? And if not are your motives for joining them for some reasons you cant fully explain?

Like you like the idea some believe they are from god because they will be obedient even though you know otherwise?

It can get a bit messy with the selfish reasonings!

• chikikie
    chikikie

didnt the flood happen. I always thought that was factual, that it happen that way.

• reniaa
    reniaa

you know what! I think I do believe the flood happenned :)

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

The flood is a an ancient fable of mythology and nothing else , how honestly can anyone believe in all practicality that all those animals could be collected and

kept in those close living conditions with the necessity of having to eat the exact food that they would need for them to remain healthy.

The probability factor has to be considered and a bit of common sense.

God only exists in the minds of men that desire his power, its that simple

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

reniaa,

Do you believe the flood was worldwide and drowned dinosaurs?

Do you believe the Earth was cloaked permanently in cloud to cause temperate zones from pole to pole in a greenhouse style atmosphere and protecting human flesh from radiations enabling them to live a thousand years?

Do you believe that carbon dating is fooled due to massive changes in Earths atmosphere causing concentrated radiations, giving rise to apparent flawed advances in carbon half lifes which question scientific dating techniques?

Do you believe all species on Earth now present came off the ark or that ones now present evolved from those able to fit in an ark?

Do you believe all mankind now on Earth evolved from one family on that ark?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit