Thinking of becoming a Witness again and my reasons for doing so :(

by reniaa 383 Replies latest jw experiences

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Leo is sure full of quotes to accentauate the minor!

Can you imagine her majors?

• reniaa
    reniaa

Good morning peeps :)

Here's like for the mammal find....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6817636/?GT1=6065

A second mammal fossil found at the same site claims the distinction of being the largest early mammal ever found. It's about the size of a modern dog, a breathtaking 20 times larger than most mammals living in the early Cretaceous Period.

skeleton of early dog-sized mammal
    Wei Gao / Chinese Academy of Sciences The skeleton of Repenomamus giganticus, about the size of a modern dog, is seen here compared with skeleton of an extant tree shrew.
    Considering the specimens in tandem, scientists suggest the period in which these animals lived may have been much different than is commonly understood as the Age of Dinosaurs -- a time dominated by long-necked, 85-ton plant-eaters and the emergence of terrifying theropod hunters with bladelike teeth and sickle claws.

It appears that at least some smaller dinosaurs had to look over their shoulders for snarling, meat-eating mammals claiming the same turf.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Interesting find Renaia

I hope you stay with us instead of going back to the witness - it will be more fun. We even meet up from time to time. I've learned more from being here than in all of the 30 years of being a witness. The association is tempting - I used to enjoy talking to elderly ones etc. But the religion forced me to occupy a very tiny cramped space that was stifling.

When I look back now I see that it is a man-made organisation and every member must use all of their time to support it and ensure that it survives. Children, elderly, the vulnerable, all, must do their share of slave labour - penalties are imposed if they don't.

ql

• reniaa
    reniaa

Well that cut and post went a bit wrong but the link to article is interesting :)

I'm having much trepidation about baby, 3 kids and single parenthood again, one severely disabled eeek people think i'm mad and that could be right but I think we don't have much choice in this reality lol I think i'd welcome a few delusions..I have a lot of reality in my life :s

On the stauros/stake point also word xylon used which also translates as upright piece of wood/tree not cross

The Classic Greek Dictionary, Greek-English and English-Greek, With an Appendix of Proper and Geographical Names prepared by George Ricker Berry reads under "stauros": "..an upright pale, stake or pole; in plu. a palisade. II. the Cross.(p.648). Although this lexicon seems to give "the Cross" as a meaning for "stauros" it seems rather as a reference than a meaning("theCross" rather than "a cross")and to that of Jesus Christ. Hence definition II is somewhat 'suspect' and may only reflect the lexicons belief that the stauros in the NT was cross-shaped or it may be giving it as a reference, that is, that when we read in the English Bibles "cross" this is from the Greek stauros and no indication it was actually cross-shaped. In its definition 1 though there is no doubt the meaning of stauros and anything other than that stauros meant more than one piece of wood, whether it was a "pale, stake or pole" is not mentioned and certainly none of which were 'cross-shaped.' This is its meaning in all the Greek classics such as Homer. There is no evidence that the from or shape of the stauros in Jesus Christ's case was any different.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/newworldtranslation/stauros.htm

Thankyou for your info guys I have read all 8 pages with interest, I liked the graph too :) cheers r, crusoe for your comments.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Its interesting to look at similarities between the 'Jesus' character and lots o similar ones pre-dating him!

Search youtube for Jesus Horus and lots of stuff comes up!

Th only reason many follow Jesus is the status they give a colloection of writings from all manner of time and place!

Some do the same today with whatever religion they choose to adopt as 'God is on our side!'

IMO the life in each of us is what it is and to go beyond what you see is to deny faith in yourself IMO!

• reniaa
    reniaa

thx quietlyleaving :)

I think you have to call them all man-made, Jesus may have started Christianity but implementing it and making it into a owkable organisation has always been our own responsibility. So I've always tried to look at christianity in all it's forms without predjudice or experience influencing! in the end I came to the conclusion that the only thing to really distinguish them was how they represent the bible and it's teachings.

If I became a witness again which to be honest would not be an easy thing for me, being tempted is one thing but they would face a barrage of questions from the newer maturer me :) I would leave this site if I became a witness, it's not fair to continue using it and though informative in some ways, a lot of what I've been shown I have come across before on atheist forums but they tend to say negative things on religion as a whole, lumping them all together saying they are all controlling etc.

Here's an example my horrible ex-partner church are called Harvest churches

http://www.partners-in-harvest.org/

They are nice and friendly believe in Cross but like witnesses also believe we are living in end of days. Unlike witness they can just prayer and repent apparently to get past any wrong-doing.

Like witnesses they have 3 meetings a week also something called 'cell-groups' either all boys or all girls (same sexes don't mix at the cell-group meetings) but the girls one aren't very well supported, my partner can confess in a cell-group making repentance in front of whole group and it never goes any further certainly no female member would hear of it, so if he is like mine and was unreliable with women no females of congregation would be warned (I found out recently i was 4th female to get pregnant to him all the other had abortions after he left them :S). I do get the impression men are more favoured in this organisation, women are always behind them supporting, They only have men doing the talks and don't even lets females have the small talks witnesses do, They do take up a lot of your live beside the meetings they encourage you to goto regular seminars (more male talkers) that tend to fill your whole weekends and some week nights too.

but research for yourself they do have bands at each meeting that are fun and do lots and lots of singing :) which i think is pity witnesses don't do more live music that way.

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

this was probably said but I didn't want to read through 9 pages. This sounds like the result of poor choices, not because you are in the "world". When you choose to date an alcoholic or a compulsive gambler, have children out of wed-lock, or date guys who, (though christian by faith) are still immature or irresponsible, it says something about your judgment and maturity. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but witness or no witness, I'd say the same thing to almost anyone.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Reneaa

thx quietlyleaving :)

I think you have to call them all man-made, Jesus may have started Christianity but implementing it and making it into a owkable organisation has always been our own responsibility. So I've always tried to look at christianity in all it's forms without predjudice or experience influencing! in the end I came to the conclusion that the only thing to really distinguish them was how they represent the bible and it's teachings.

Yes I agree - they are all man-made and some religions have a worse effect on people's lives than others.

I'm trying to find the 'workable organisation' aspect in political governments. At least democracy allows us to argue and criticise them and if enough people can get together they can stimulate important changes in governmental policies. Religions however by and large do not listen to or take account of women's arguments and reasoning. Within religion women will always be sidelined because it seems to me that religious authority isn't prepared to look at how their traditions evolved in the first place.

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi there krist, in my defence these guys didn't have big pointers over their heads saying "Alcoholic, Gambler. Womaniser", If i'd been more experienced at 18 I could have realised there was something wrong with first hubby and always been taken out and wined and dined by the man courting me, like with some alcoholics he had and still has an ability to hold a massive amount of boose without it effecting him after years of practise, It was only after our marriage that It slowly dawned on me I was playing second fiddle to a bottle of beer.

As for other Two I do plead a certain level of guilt with them I discovered how much we can self-delude when thinking ourselves "in-love" it's very hard to step back and say this persons has a bad habit you may not be able to live with.

This is where I am a little in favour of DF if a person is publically acknowledge to have done something detrimental especially like maybe sleeping with another man's wife etc then you are protecting the congregation unfortunately where it falls down is as you can see with many examples, it can be wrongly or overtly harshly applied by overzealous BOE and if one person is charassmatic defender and the other is a young teen unable to fluently give their side, things can go badly wrong :( but then again to allow a person to go into a repentance booth and confess in complete anonymity say a few 'hail mary's' then go on to do what they are doing without any redress /shrug, Can there even be a middle road?

hi Quietlyleaving, I hope you find a workable government organization. I thought religions were scary to explore but governments have me running in terror lol, they are two real, the responsibility of wars and life and death decisions woah tooo much, I do agree with you that religions do make females supportive to men but I'm not sure governments don't as well, a woman in the political arena has to be twice as able as a man to get anywhere (personnally I find Hillary Clinton quite scary too!)

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I lost all notion tht a religion is the place to meet a partner because by its very nature the religion is the partner!

If I meet a woman who is right for me and we feel we both click with each other then she will be my religion, not forced, or onerous but natural and honest and open about feelings and all stuff really simply because beauty lies in soulmates and pair bonds between man and woman!

I have to add though that I dont expect it to ever happen because it, for all my life, hasn't already!

So becoming JW places a person in the hands of the minds of others without my own freewill and I abhore the very notion of it just as I would not want to do suchlike to others!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit