Thinking of becoming a Witness again and my reasons for doing so :(

by reniaa 383 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jenlet
    Jenlet

"Witnesses definately aren't perfect"

I hear this sort of thing from individual JWs a lot, as in "Well, they're the best of a bad lot". Understand that this is not the official position of the organization, though. The current party line is that the Jehovah's Witnesses have the "truth". God is using the organization to dispense "truth", even when it isn't true.

Returning to the JWs involves more than just going back to the Kingdom Hall and making friends. It involves going door-to-door spreading "truth". How do you feel about telling "wordly" people that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 B.C., when it was not? How do you feel about telling "worldly" people that blood transfusions are forbidden by the bible, when they are not?

Is it worth spreading lies in order to make friends?

• Sirona
    Sirona

Honestly,

I have met more spiritual people OUTSIDE of the JWs than inside of it.

I've met, in the 8 years since leaving, people whose bible knowledge puts the JWs to shame. I'm not kidding. There are people out there who know so much more about the bible than JWs do. Some of them accept Jehovah as Gods name and they preach to others (but not door to door usually).

I've also met really spiritual non-Christians. People whose lives are truly about giving to others. They spend time each week giving to others and doing things for others. There are people like that on this board, but of course they don't advertise it because they are not like JWs (they don't need to prove themselves to everyone else, theirs is a relationship between them and god). Some spend hours and hours doing healing and prayer for those who are ill. Some give up their time to do charity work or community projects.

These are the people you need to be around. These are the people you need to copy if you want any fulfillment in life.

I'm only just learning this myself but I will tell you for certain that the JWs are a spiritual wasteland. It is really ridiculous to imagine that God, in 1919, did an inspection of religions and chose the bible students! Its even more ridiculous to suggest that he continues to approve of them - the religion with a sordid history of false prophyseys, destroyed lives and families, abused children and a trail of blood behind them which is always covered up! They don't even follow their own rules and beg for forgiveness for the millions of people they have hurt.

You just need to make the effort to find people out there who are truly spiritual. You might not find them in the first Christian church you visit, either.

Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

and...

you don't need a Kingdom Hall to be around God.

Look into your baby's eyes when he/she is born and there is God.

Sirona

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Am I at fault for all my mistakes? that seems a harsh judgement even if I am a bad person-picker surely some blame can be put on the current practise of people being encouraged to go after money and self-indulgence.

Not everything is your fault. (Though that doesn't necessarily mean that none of it is either.) But the blame can't just be pinned on 'worldly' people either (whether you use that word for them, or even just have that attitude). This is why I previously said "Whether they were all your fault is not the point." Not all non-Witnesses have unsuccessful relationships. And not all Witnesses have successful ones.

• mouthy
    mouthy

im a witness and have been all my life. being a witness is not something you do to get friendships. its an acceptable way of serving Jehovah. If you get friends along the way, that is a tribute to your application of qualities that make you a good friend and also the good qualities of other witnesses. whats the real reason you are not already doing it?? Well Queenie Welcome to the board. But as a JW are you not breaking your orders NOT TO GO ON THE Internet? I was a witness for 25 years made 10 people JW's... I still love all JWS but when you are taught NOT to THINK!!!!! that is why God gave us brains. To think... You are taught not to think independently. If you are the only one in the world with your fingerprint,why can you not believe your the only one with an individual brain.....Sorry to steal the thread. but I hope Queenie comes back...

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Wow...this thread has really brought out the newbies.

Renaii..If going back is what you feel would be the best thing for you & your children, then that is what you need to do. If you have read CoC and have been out for so many years; then you obviously now what you are getting into. It just appears that you are going back just to have friends & those types of relationships. Is that really what you want to put yourself & your children into? Conditional Love??? You return and then stop going to meetings and see how fast those friendships end. That could be emotionally damaging to your chidren. I think since just going through your break up; you are just feeling lonely and the thought of being a single mom is too scary. If your BF would have stayed, would you still be considering going back to the JW's???? I doubt it...

im a witness and have been all my life. being a witness is not something you do to get friendships. its an acceptable way of serving Jehovah. If you get friends along the way, that is a tribute to your application of qualities that make you a good friend and also the good qualities of other witnesses. whats the real reason you are not already doing it??

In addition to what Mouthy said; Quennie..just you being a member of an apostate site, you are not serving Jah in an acceptable way in the eyes of the JW's. You could be df'd just for being here.....

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I'm still not sure they would DF me wouldn't that be against the principle of the 'prodigal son' son text? Does anyone know a particular case of anyone that has come back after a number of years confessed past sins done in that time away but no longer and then promptly been DF'd for them?

My mother! Actually, she did not even 'go back' fully. My mother was baptised in 1959 or 1960. She promptly became a submarine Witness. We were indoctrinated as children, she had an occasional 'study' with the local Jw's, but she never really got with the program.

In the early 70's the Watchtower banned smoking, and gave active Jw's 6 months to stop or be disfellowshipped. My mother had not even attended a meeting other than the Memorial for years, prob a decade. Attending the Memorial was enough meeting attendance to qualify her for all the Watchtower love of disfellowshipping. So here they come - Watchtower in hand - and disfellowshipped her as 'leaven to the flock'. Hell - she wasn't even part of the flock! Her attendance at Memorials was enough to make her subject to DFing.

I have heard others on this board state that after as many as 15 or 20 years out - they were disfellowshipped. I am sure there are those on this board who can tell about being disfellowshipped after returning to the meetings. There was a Watchtower, or perhaps it was the 'Flock' book, that stated in so many words that if one returns, then would be the time to meet with them to determine if they were committing sins worthy of expulsion at that time. Perhaps someone knows the reference.

The 'principle of the prodigal son' is not practiced by Jw's, is it? If I returned, would my relatives or friends be allowed to 'accept me back', throw a feast, and grant me full acceptance based on my return to my 'senses'? No way, dear. They would be forced to wait till I was accepted back by three elders who meet privately in a little room to discuss my reinstatement, finally decide I am repentant [based on having attended enough meetings over a long enough period of time - not based on my current conduct or my repentant attitude]. Likely at least a year would pass before anyone would even acknowledge me - no the prodigal son is not a principle considered by the Watchtower Society. In that parable the father 'saw his son when still a long way off and began to run to accept him', no committee met with him first and made daddy wait for a couple months or years to talk to him.

Jeff

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi jgnat :) I do read the bible a lot, Twelve tribes of israel and allowing gentiles become christians by peter as reasons to have more than one christian faith, I've been thinking on your words not sure those work because even though there were twelve tribes they were all still jews and had to follow the bible laws strictly and the governing body/elders of each tribe still had to answer to moses and the levi priests who themselves were the one group held responsible for the whole spiritual well being of the jews. And once gentiles became christians they had to follow it the same as any jew practising it. What really lets down the thought of all christian faiths leads to God is the diversity of what they believe a lot of which simply isn't from bible origin. Does a faith have to be answerable to God if they preach or practise something non-biblical?

hi jenlet, If i am to believe in christianity and the bible, I don't think I can do it alolne, the bible does show that from israelites onwards it prefers us to do is as a group, so from that point I have to pick one that stands out 'Best of a bad lot' as you say, difficult one! especially when It comes to the Cross 3=1 thing which is really the major hurdle for any witness I think when crossing over to another Christian faith, it's certainly proved the biggest stumbling block for me, even if you say the witnesses are wrong, I have a friend from atheist forum who was an ancient language expert mostly greek and he confirmed what the witnesses said that the word use is stauros - stake not cross but also not 'torture' stake either just 'stake' in the bible, then the 3=1 thing we go from one God from jews to that.....has anyone else had problems with this when looking at other Christian faiths?

I will admit one definate thing in favour of JW's is I've always applauded the 'Door to Door' work even now, jesus set the example and it's very definately biblical, much better than just preaching to friends and family who may feel browbeaten by family members always trying to convert them, 'Door to door' preaching is simple and honest, it's sad that more Christian faiths don't do it. But you are right I couldn't preach anything now on the doors unless I fully believed in what I was preaching inc the blood issues.

I would never spread lies to make friends, I don't think my main reason for going back is to make friends, I admit it is part of it but I couldn't go back unless I could fully believe again or at least enough to see it as the nearest expression of what jesus wanted his christian followers to practise.

I hope you guys don't mind me exploring my faith etc with you?

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

Would you get DF'ed or not? I guess that is a roll of the dice depending on the temperment of the BOE (or even the comittee) where you return. It is clear to me that god is not driving consistency or quality assurance there. If you go back to a "hang 'em high" type of congregation then you can draw your own conclusions. I have known other congregations that were fairly liberal on forgiving transgressions while people were away. They took the "we are not the spiritual police" attitude that you are responsible for your own actions.

I do feel for your situation. Being a JW colors your view in many ways. I think a lack of self worth can be a common symptom. I tend to internalize my anger. It has left me very cold toward the JW faith. I've done a small amount of therapy which has helped. I definitely think talking it over would be best for you.

You have a huge decision before you with respect to your children. Being raised as a JW made me even more introverted and ashamed of how I had to live (particularly in school). No amount of coaching at the KH changed that.

I think many JWs get something positive out of the faith. But that element of fear (not that godly fear they talk about either) is too much for me. It's just a substitute hellfire. Obey or die.

I think the newbie JW that commented earlier (Queenie?) on why you should return didn't have much to back it up except for insinuations of that fear -- as in: You know its right so get off your duff and go do it! That isn't really an argument. Its more of the "rah rah", cheerleader, high-pressure sales pitches that turn me off ANYWHERE I see them (JWs, MLMs like Amway, Noni Juice, etc...)

I hope the best for you regardless of what you choose.

• reniaa
    reniaa

From what you said on the DF situation, the witnesses are still being very and overly strict on it, it's a shame although I can see why you can't just pat someone on the back and say all is forgiven, If you did that you'd be back to my ex-partners religion and their 'Get out of jail free' repentance card that has allowed him to justify abandoning me and our child with a little prayer and repentance. Still it does sound foolish and self-defeating to disfellowship those who have already been away years and would do nothing to help them,

lol I think I think to much.

I want to give my children an awareness of God but not of a Cross to kiss and worship?

oo what a quandary i'm in and would I be even in it if I'd found a good partner who had stood by me and our children?

Sorry all I have is questions :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit