Moral Values of an Atheist

by hamilcarr 100 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Gopher!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    They do this because they understand that what is right for the human community as a whole, and what is right for the environment is right for themselves. It benefits everyone in society in the long term. They understand about personal responsibility. If we destroy the earth for greed and power, if we destroy other societies for greed and power, then we harm ourselves as a species and steal from our children's futures.

Glad to see you're all in agreement on something. And I'm sure you vote as a block on political issues

Your reply seemed a little sarcastic deputy dog. However, you took my quote out of context. I specifically said that I'm sure there were exceptions to this and I was only giving my experience of all the atheists I have met as being highly moral and responsible people in the community.

Cog

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Gopher

That's right, Deputy Dog. You attack a person if you cannot attack the argument.

You attacked yourself! But, you're right, you atheist are superior to us Christians. Just ask your priest Father Dawkins. Nothing smug about him either.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I wonder if the cave men would consider modern brain surgeons smug...........

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Ahh, I see deputy dog has no actual arguments to prove the immorality of atheists so now he can only call names. Well, if the worst you can say about atheists is they are "smug" in their goodness, then that's not much of an insult.

As far as "Father Dawkins" goes, I became an atheist before I ever heard of him or read any books on evolution. I came to that conclusion simply by studying biology and observing the "nature" of things.

Cog

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Most agree the 'Golden rule' is a good moral law. I think that these concepts and beliefs have been imprinted on us by our backgrounds, and that our internal constructs of good are not independent of our Christian background and culture. I think claiming to be part of a group that is more moral than Christians would discredit the source of your morals.

The golden rule is in fact just one of many versions of the 'Ethic of Reciprocity'

It's not unique to Jesus, Christians, or the Bible.

Here's another version: " This is the sum of Dharma (duty / righteousness) : do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you. " ~ Mahabharata - Around 500 B.C

Christians are most definately not the source.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Here's a list of versions of the ethic of reciprocity in many cultures all around the world: http://www.religioustolerance.org/reciproc.htm

• 5go
    5go
    ethic of reciprocity

Actually some atheist pointed out that the rule should be do on to others how they would like to be delt with. Do to the fact that cultures differ and one may not want done to them as what the other wants to themselves.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I thought this a rather interesting read. IMHO it's not religion that dictates a persons morals, it's education, poverty level, and connectedness to society.

http://www.holysmoke.org/icr-pri.htm

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Just ask your priest Father Dawkins

This is an appalling argument! Sheer nonsense! What are his qualifications for being called 'father' according to the 'atheist church'? What's up nxt? Are you gonna claim atheists are being governed by an infallible pope and a college of cardinals? You are really ridiculing yourself by giving such arguments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit