Moral Values of an Atheist

by hamilcarr 100 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Some thoughts spinning through my head ...

What does it mean to be an atheist? It means you cannot imagine your homosexual neighbor being slaughtered by a loving God at Judgment's Day, it means you don't consider the primitive tribe described in Numbers 31 that slew Midianite men and raped innocent virgins to be God's first covenant people, it means you don't believe mankind is so perverted that it is in need of salvation through a man who came 'not with peace, but with a sword', it means you have high moral values that apply not only to the members of your denomination but to all men.

H.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    it means you have high moral values that apply not only to the members of your denomination but to all men.

It may possibly mean all the things you listed before it since those are based on concepts of what the Bible is, but being an atheist doesn't automatically give a person "high moral values" that transcend all religious affiliations.

• Zico
    Zico

So where do your moral values come from hamilcarr?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    So where do your moral values come from hamilcarr?

It's not about me - that would be too arrogant I assume, it's about atheists I know in general compared to my Christian friends. I just wanted to report my subjective observations.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Atheiest who do the right thing do so not out of fear of punishment, but simply because it IS the right thing to do, and to be a good person.

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman
    So where do your moral values come from

As an Athiest, I can tell you Morals come from how you want to be treated and dealt with. It does not come from some book or some invisible sky daddy. It is common sense. If you want to be treated with dignity and respect, you do likewise to your fellow man.I can go into a long list but you get the point.

• real one
    real one

it means you dont respect your creator

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Many atheists are also humanists as well, such as myself........born and raised a JW

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

All moral values are human; all too human. Some can't accept that and so have to believe in a higher purpose.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Being human gives you intelligence and emotion to choose campassion, understanding and empathy in order to see beyond organised religion! It gives you as an individual the power to realise your own fallibility and to fearlessly live life barren rules made up by other men with the same attributes you were born with. It gives you your own mind and your own love to share as you connect with life around you and not according to the whys and whens of outsiders who have no idea what it is to be you!

I veer towards Wiccan view of paganism from a position of having dipped my toes into Buddhism and atheism. I could feel quite at home with either group as well as others around the world with nature based beliefs.

I do not feel god needs me to believe!! It is I who need the life given as a gift if I am to do any more than nothing! A simple equation and any enjoyment along the way may count as a gift I will be appreciative of just as any suffering I will not. Simple reality for all of us!

Thats what all organised religions are - ideas of others!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit