Moral Values of an Atheist

by hamilcarr 100 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

If you want more info on the evolutionary source of morality, I can highly recommend Matthijs van Veelen's dissertation 'Survival of the fair', in which he makes use of evolutionary models and the game theory to explain the origins of morality. During his preparation he was heavily criticized by Dutch christians. They deemed an evolutionary approach to immorality a gross insult to the christian community. They even claimed Van Veelen's real purpose was to design a fascist theory with his fuzzy mathematics and his disgusting evolutionary biology. It's important to note the Netherlands also have a Bible Belt, a region in the north of the country where small groups of fundamentalist christians exert influence on societal issues: the ChristenUnie is a part of the Dutch government.

H.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

According to Edward O. Wilson, founder of sociobiology, an ethical system that discredits its own natural and evolutionary source is structurally incomplete.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Contrary to common sense, morality may not be the product of civilisation or culture, but civilisation may be the result of our biologically rooted morality.

• Zico
    Zico

Hamilcarr:

"Maybe my English is too poor to see the semantic difference between experience and experiences apart from the singular versus plural ;-)"

You've lost me on this one. I don't see where singular versus plural comes into it. I asked a question, I didn't make a claim. That's it.
    Your English however, is excellent.

"Zico, can you give me some examples?"

Try Belgium.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Try Belgium.

I'm trying!

I was looking for more concrete instances, not a country, but a real idea.

I just discovered you are born in 1986 too :-)) Vintage year, isn't it?

• Zico
    Zico

I don't know what more you're looking for Hamilcarr, I don't know what else I can add to the thread, and I just feel like I'm repeating myself. Maybe we can just agree to disagree on this one, and look forward to future discussions?

"I just discovered you are born in 1986 too :-)) Vintage year, isn't it?"

1986 is the highest of all years!

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I don't know what else I can add to the thread

You're right, this thread is getting too long ...

and look forward to future discussions?

That's a deal!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Why should you be Atheist...religion is the Opium of the people. Where was God when the Tsunami killed 300,000 people who were poor and very religious praying to him 3 times a day? Why would he leave us here with 7,000 different religions?...even if he exists I cant be blamed for having doubts..thats his fault.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Witness007 - consider buddhism. Their god isn't the same one as the Christians - many buddhists believe in God as an abstract concept rather than an old man in the sky who decides or doesn't decide to intervene.

So if you base your non-belief on rejection of the Christian god, you are failing to see that there are many other concepts of "god" out there and many other philosophies regarding why there is suffering on this planet.

Some ideas on god actually allow for evolution (gasp!)

My personal philosophy centres on divinity existing as an all pervading force. Also that we are all part of god and we all evolve with the divine since there is no separation - we each carry divinity within us and we may or may not choose to tap into it.

Sirona

• funkyderek

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit