Moral Values of an Atheist

by hamilcarr 100 Replies latest jw friends

• real one
    real one

Psalms 53: 1 Only a fool would say, "There is no God!" People like that are worthless! They are heartless and cruel and never do right.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Real One, you keep on surprising me! You are giving another argument in favor of my thesis that believers have a poorer moral sense than atheists. Anyone who calls another group worthless, heartless and cruel has an immature conscience. I can only quote Jesus' words: 'Forgive them, for they know not what they do'.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    To say we need organised morality to prevent anarchy is ludicrous when you look at human history! Humans use organised morality for group leadership to send men to war when their morality finds cause in the power hungry minds wanting to impose their will on the morality of another group. Atheism can become a self supporting system looking at how best humans can resolve their own difficulties. You are looking at what criminal minded individuals may use it for but as we know there are many of those in all walks of life.Your reasoning suggests to lie about knowing what god is and wants in order to impose regulation on otherwise unsuspecting individuals.

I don't have a clue what the heck you are talking about. All I'm saying is that atheist have ONE belief in common that is a disbelief in god. That is all. I don't know where you came up with all that other pie in the sky... Maybe you need to reread my post?

When I referenced the 'powers that be' I was certainly not referencing a non existent god. I'm referring to religious and secular authorities. Not some non existent harry potter in the sky...

• beksbks
    beksbks

I prefer to think more along the lines of Sauron than Harry Potter............

• Caedes
    Caedes

Real one,

I have a challenge for you, when you search for atheist philanthropists on the net, how many do you find?

That of course ignores all the many atheists in all walks of life who do what they can to improve life for all of us. I dont imagine that atheists are any more philanthropic than theists are, but then I'm not the one claiming that atheists are heartless and cruel.

Are you attending the deputy dog and vinny school of diplomacy? If this sort of comment is what happens when you find jesus then I'll pass thanks.

Deputy dog

So, you are claiming that anyone who thinks up their own set of moral values is self-righteous? Where I come from self-righteous means something else completely. Would you care to back up this wild claim with some sort of reference. Perhaps you have a dictionary that happens to share your unique understanding of the meaning of self-righteous.

Father Dawkins?! Is that the best insult you could think of?

• Caedes
    Caedes

You know when I go to give blood tonight I didn't realise that the only reason I do it (as a cruel and heartless atheist who has never done good) is for the reward of tea and a biscuit.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

All you Christians who say it's wrong to kill people, please tell me why. What's so wrong about killing people?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

There is nothing wrong per se with killing people. Murdering people however is wrong.

Burn

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BurnTheShips:

Murdering people however is wrong.

Why?

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

real one wrote:

Psalms 53: 1 Only a fool would say, "There is no God!" People like that are worthless! They are heartless and cruel and never do right.

You're a moron.

Let's examine this unbelievably ridiculous statement of yours, shall we?

Atheists are "worthless":

Abraham Lincoln-Yeah right, Abe never did anything to benefit mankind & society.

Albert Einstien- Nope, no benefit here. "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Andrew Carnegie- This man was a noted philanthropist...and an atheist.

Benjamin Franklin- None of his inventions or ideals were a benefit to anyone, I suppose?

Ernest Hemingway

Gloria Steinam

Bertrand Russell

Galileo Galilei

Thomas Edison

Should I keep going?

Atheists are "heartless" & "cruel" and "never do right".

I went out this last winter and handed out blankets to homeless folks. How heartless & cruel of me! Oh..and I'm an atheist.

I could go on and give countless examples of non-believers who do good things out of the kindness of their hearts, but you've proven that common sense and reason are not qualities that you possess, so why waste time & bandwidth. I think I've made my point.

-Breck

:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit