Moral Values of an Atheist

by hamilcarr 100 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but so far, all of the atheists I have met have been very community oriented people of high moral value. They have a deep understanding of the nature of the environment and the human species and how we are inseparably interconnected. Most are highly educated doctors, nurses, scientiests, psychologists, teachers, etc. They volunteer and work to make the community and earth a better place. They do so, not because they get their values from a Creator or are in fear of divine repercussions if they don't. They do this because they understand that what is right for the human community as a whole, and what is right for the environment is right for themselves. It benefits everyone in society in the long term. They understand about personal responsibility. If we destroy the earth for greed and power, if we destroy other societies for greed and power, then we harm ourselves as a species and steal from our children's futures. They know we cannot claim "God told us to do it" and that makes it all OK. They know that God is not going to magically step in and solve all our problems for us that were caused by our own greed for power and wealth at the expense of other humans and the environment. So, they try to act in harmony with that knowledge. Their morality does not stem from self-righteousness but stems from true understanding and awareness of our nature and what is "right" (beneficial) to us, not just for instant gratification, but in the long term.

Cog

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Cog

They do this because they understand that what is right for the human community as a whole, and what is right for the environment is right for themselves. It benefits everyone in society in the long term. They understand about personal responsibility. If we destroy the earth for greed and power, if we destroy other societies for greed and power, then we harm ourselves as a species and steal from our children's futures.

Glad to see you're all in agreement on something. And I'm sure you vote as a block on political issues

• 5go
    5go

I wouldn't worry about atheist morality I would be more worried about christian morality if I where you. Christians don't seem to have much of a problem killing people for not having the same beliefs as they do. Even if the other one is a Christian.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I wouldn't worry about atheist morality I would be more worried about christian morality if I where you. Christians don't seem to have much of a problem killing people for not having the same beliefs as they do. Even if the other one is a Christian. Ever hear of Hitler or Stalin

• Gopher
    Gopher

What does it mean to be an atheist?

It means any righteousness ("Moral Values") comes from self. Which would make one self-righteous

Nope. Self-righteous implies a feeling of smug superiority. Atheism at its simplest is lack of belief in a higher power. Ultimately each one develops his or her own moral code. Even among believers in a particular God (such as the God of the Bible), there is not unanimity about right and wrong. There are a myriad interpretations.

• Gopher
    Gopher

A thread spirals into meaninglessness and frustration every time Hitler is brought into it, DD.

Burden of proof would be on the one who says Hitler or Stalin killed people because they weren't atheist.

They had hunger for power, control and conquest. That's what made them fierce demagogues. Prove otherwise, if you can.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Mkr882894etc.

To say we need organised morality to prevent anarchy is ludicrous when you look at human history!

Humans use organised morality for group leadership to send men to war when their morality finds cause in the power hungry minds wanting to impose their will on the morality of another group.

Atheism can become a self supporting system looking at how best humans can resolve their own difficulties. You are looking at what criminal minded individuals may use it for but as we know there are many of those in all walks of life.

Your reasoning suggests to lie about knowing what god is and wants in order to impose regulation on otherwise unsuspecting individuals.

• Zico
    Zico

Most people on this thread seem to agree that there is a higher good. Most agree the 'Golden rule' is a good moral law. I think that these concepts and beliefs have been imprinted on us by our backgrounds, and that our internal constructs of good are not independent of our Christian background and culture. I think claiming to be part of a group that is more moral than Christians would discredit the source of your morals.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Just some questions, Zico:

Most people on this thread seem to agree that there is a higher good.

Why do you say "higher" good. Why can't we just say good and bad?

our internal constructs of good are not independent of our Christian background and culture.

Who is the "our" to which you refer? What about the two-thirds of the world that does not claim to be Christian? Are they automatically immoral, or can they develop 'constructs of good' that are independent of Christianity?

• Copernic
    Copernic

If you want to be an atheist, come in Western Europe. You won't be killed by fanatics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit