Alarming statement in today's study article in WT...

by Mickey mouse 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Layla33
    Layla33

This kind of stuff is troubling, whenever I read anything remotely like it. I still have family in it that I love dearly, it would break my heart to see them packing up and moving to some cult like camp or something like that. It won't be good.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    This kind of stuff is troubling, whenever I read anything remotely like it. I still have family in it that I love dearly, it would break my heart to see them packing up and moving to some cult like camp or something like that. It won't be good.

I hear you, but for my situation I think it would actually be a good thing. My wife--who is still in--would be forced to make a decision whether to follow an increasingly dictatorial, cultish religion, or to stick with me. I would be crushed and bewildered if she chose to follow these crazy men, but at least it would settle things.

• notyetx
    notyetx

I think that many of them are far too cynical to "off themselves" i.e. the Heaven's Gate cult.

It may be that the paragraph was referencing some of the doctrinal and organizational changes rumored to be in the pipeline shortly. If some of the elders lose favored positions due to these changes, there would be some resentment. This might just be a shot across the bow.

Then again, I have been fooled before.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

All of this just shows that they are scared shitless. That too many are leaving. Their money is in jeopardy. Seems that each time in history they start on this "new instructions" theme, it's a scare tactic to wake JWS up from their "backsliding."

Wonder what Prince is going to do? After all, he is the epitome of "materialistic, entertainement, worldly" association.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    It made me ask myself how most JW's would react if instructed to do something which would endanger their life.

That is a very good question, and the answer is frightening. The study article comment is classic cult speak. The WTS fits all 8 of Liftons identifiers of cult mind control (http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/mindcontrol.htm). Combine black-and-white thinking, claims that God is speaking through the leaders, fear of eternal retribution if you leave the cult, and you have a group of people that will choose to do as told, no matter how insane. It is how Hitler was able to mobilse a nation to attrocities and how suicide cults work. The Governing Body has set itself up with similar power.

However, I think that it is unlikely to ever get to such a situation. There is too much information provided by the internet, too much at stake legally (and it seems the WTS is more and more being run by lawyers) and the members are too far apart geographically to get them hyped to enough of a fervour to do anything too dangerous.

it would break my heart to see them packing up and moving to some cult like camp

Yes, its called Bethel.

In the early 80's my study conductor would tell me that the time may come when the govt would move all JWs to a camp in the middle of Australia. Then God could destroy the cities without the JWs being killed. Other brothers actually stored provisions in the bush incase they ever had to escape. It has been discussed throughout the history of JWs but is unlikely to ever happen. The logistics of providing for 6 million people is too difficult, with no reward to the GB. The WTS is about growth, and that requires money and preaching, not isolation.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

How much instruction did we get back when we were expecting Armageddon in 1975? Absolutely none...

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I just realized: Could it be that we're getting ahead of ourselves; or rather, ahead of the Watchtower? What I mean is - could it be that this article is a preparation for accepting the generation change? 'Cause that WT issue hasn't been studied yet in the congregations, has it? I'm not very up do date on when the magazines are studied anymore...

Of course - the generation change wouldn't constitute 'detailed instructions', but the rest of the surrounding sentences seem to fit well as preparation for this change.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Mm

As the empire crumbles, the more desperate they will become. We are seeing it already with the secret WTs.

If they really cared for people as they say, they would publish everything they could on their website. It would be a very effective way to spread their message. They could cut printing costs.

Things are about to get much worse for those still in, as the numbers decline.

• R.F.
    R.F.

These possible "detailed instructions" are what some of the local have thrown in my face to get me back to meetings.

Silly me thought that Christianity was supposed to be refreshing as Jesus said it would be, something that gives you joy......not about fear.

One sister even told me last week that each meeting I miss is putting me in danger of being cut off from "The Spiritual Ark", and that i'm missing information vital to life. From what I understand it's the same mindless drivel that's always been presented.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

"we may receive detailed instructions"....then again, we MAY not....

So why would I want to hang around? Operative word is MAY - why would I stake my life on such a vague promise/threat?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit