What are your Guilty Pleasures of a geeky/nerdy variety?

by Crumpet 100 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

Going through old books and magazines. The older the better.

Did you know for example that Lysol was originally a feminine hygiene product? Or that cigarette advertisements used to claim that smoking actually would improve your health?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Did you know for example that Lysol was originally a feminine hygiene product?

Ouch!

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

^^ Damn! Can you say BURN!!!???

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

I guess my wife and I are geeks for horror movies, psychologicals or gorefests.

I'm a big music and movie buff.

I have also spent the last 20 years reading horror, mystery and fantasy books (I guess you can add the Bible to the 'fantasy' list)

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Peter, Paul and Mary.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Just for clarification. The folk group not the Bible group.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I actually read through some of these things thinking "crap, that's geeky?" I guess not knowing that much of this is geeky is inherently geeky, eh?

I love foreign films with subtitles. I love comic books. I love anime. I love fantasy books (elves and such). I read text books for fun if the subject is interesting to me. I can't live without my blackjack (pda style phone)... I am a little ADD and was always missing engagements and never accomplishing anything before I had it. On my list of "biggest turn ons" is someone using a word that I don't know. I love that. LOL

But on the flip side, I have a horrible memory and can't remember trivia type stuff to save my life. I can't read manuals or anything else that I'm not completely interested in. I have to figure out anything I'm making as I go- it kills me to read directions. I am easily amused by electronics, but don't enjoy perusing electronics I don't need. And I can't help but giggle at people who get into anything fantasy related to the point of being... umm... well... behaving silly.

So I'm not ALL geek :)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I love that there's just as many girl geeks out there fessing up!

I guess my wife and I are geeks for horror movies, psychologicals or gorefests.

Mastodon, Mrs Mastodon and me three. (psst did you see the Saw 4 thread? Have you seen the film?)

• AuroraB
    AuroraB

I love sci/fi, other than that I am not a nerd at all just way cool. LOL I love Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Logan's Run, Soylent Green,all of theTerminators, and The Matrix. I love plots involving space travel, time travel or cryogenics, anything with a twist really. Right now I am addicted to "Heroes". #@%^ writer's strike! I'm right there with you! I can go without Heroes even though I watch it, but the lack of BSG is KILLING ME!!!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm into all kinds of "geeky" stuff. Old computers, electronics, really bad albums, old technology, Linux. I just modified an old computer power supply so I can use it on my workbench in the garage for powering things up (instead of searching for a damn adapter). Besides, this thing puts out a nice 8A - more power than I'll ever need :)

My blog is full of "geeky" stuff if you wanna check it out:

http://classicalgasemissions.blogspot.com.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit