What are your Guilty Pleasures of a geeky/nerdy variety?

by Crumpet 100 Replies latest jw friends

• Lou_Cypher
    Lou_Cypher

Foodnetwork, Ghost Whisperer & writing poetry .... Mea culpa!

• delilah
    delilah

Sometimes I like to watch Spongebob Squarepants....and Ghost Whisperer, The Home and Garden Network...

Crumpet, I also play Scrabulous on Facebook....I've got two games on the go right now...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Delilah and Burger Time (who I can't find on face book so check my link in my profile here) I'll play you both, but I have 9 games on the go, so I owe it to my opponents to finish before I start any new ones!

There's another geeky Puerto Rican I was expecting to show up any time soon on this thread - but he was probably up late watching Star Trek, or playing with his Star Wars figures and is late to the office...

• AuroraB
    AuroraB

Battlestar Galactica (the new one). They haven't shown a new episode since last spring and the long hiatus is just about killing me!

And I'm not ashamed to admit it. I watch an episode of Star Trek every night before I go to bed. It helps me sleep...(is that a good excuse?)!

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I added you to facebook Crumpet

• DT
    DT

Crumpet,

Claiming my 100 geek points saywhat! DT - what are sackbuts?!!!

They are kind of an ancestor to the modern trombone. I actually wrote an article about them http://lutesandviols.blogspot.com/2006/12/sackbut-noble-instrument-with-funny.html which includes information on how they got their name. And to remove all doubt about my nerdiness I wrote another article on other instruments with funny names. http://lutesandviols.blogspot.com/2006/11/instruments-with-funny-names.html

Pubsinger,

I've been to see these perform their Christmas repertoire the last 3 years!

http://www.waits.org.uk/york/index.html

They look like a cool group. I'm a little envious of the prevalence of early music groups in England. I wish there were more opportunities to see early music performed in the United States, although we're making some progress. I even heard that our lute society is bigger than yours.

• M.J.
    M.J.

For my geekiness in its purest form, I'm gonna have go back to...circa 1984.

That is when tons of time was spent on Zork I, II, III, The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, show, and Interactive Fiction computer game (complete with the provided "don't panic" button),
    Wizardry (early D&D-like sim for the Apple IIe)

Spending half a day typing in the code of a computer program from my favorite home computer magazine.

And of course, pushing the limits of basic programming on the Commodore 64, with aid of my trusty "Programmer's Reference Guide".

• chickpea
    chickpea

two i will admit to.... one geeky and one nerdy

one is words and word origins... i have 4 dicitionaries on my desk including the SOED plus a subscription to OED online and have several links to other word sources in my favourites as well as daily ( or weekly ) word based subscriptions, like dr.dicitionary

i am as close to a fanatic as i have ever been about about anything in my life for sarah brightman....... CDs, DVDs, on the "alert list" for tour dates.... i even joined the fan website but dont frequent it because compared to that batch of froot loops i am a poser.... ok maybe i WOULD have my pic taken next to her poster at a venue but i sure as heck wouldnt POST IT ONLINE!

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Prophecor...It has a banana seat even.. WAY COOL!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Since I'm well known as a head-bound, Trekkie/Whovian from the land of Geekdom, the surprising thing about me is that I love Aussie Football.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit