What are your Guilty Pleasures of a geeky/nerdy variety?

by Crumpet 100 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I don't mean the ones we know about already - things people wouldn't think you did or enjoyed to look at you.

I love watching Ray Mears Extreme Survival and learning about how to survive and find food and shelter in extreme climates even though there is a strong possibility that I shall never try and escape naked from a Japanese Prisoner of War Camp, or crash without a flagon of water into the Sahara, or come stuck in my ship in a freezing ice plateau in deepest Antartica.

What's your guilty geeky pleasure?

• brinjen
    brinjen

Electronics catalogues. Radios, soldering irons, multimeters, capacitors, diodes. I can sit and drool over that stuff for hours...

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Well I guess you can qualify me as some what of a nerd but most of my friends say I'm more of a bohemian type. I like to watch man vs. wild which is in the same category as extreme survival and I love Star Trek. I also like LARP ( live action role playing).

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I don't know or I'll never tell, I'm still processing it, to know for sure, one moment it's this and the next moment it is something else, never a repeatable pleasure when the mood changes. but happy to move on to the next without regret.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

National Public Radio or NPR. Well, I don't know, people might think it if they looked at me. Not sure. BBC news is another.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I have so many geeky/nerdy things that I enjoy, it would probably qualify me for the horn-rimmed glasses with duct tape award. I, too, am an electronics nut. I've been messing with electronics since I was 8. I like The Learning Channel, The Discovery Channel, National Geographic, The History Channel, etc. I collect antique medical books. I have a coin collection. I play the organ. But, I have enough non-geeky things that I enjoy to offset my major geek status. I enjoy and own muscle cars. I played in a blues band and a rock band. And, my wife is HOT! Soooo, those three things alone keep the horn-rimmed glasses monster at bay.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I like independent news and jurnalism, That give's me mix pleasure&sadness,,and hope.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Looking at maps, and just 'stumbling' thru internet sites of things I never would 'look up' on my own.

I also love to do calculations about silly or redundant things - like, how many square feet or cubic feet in a space, or how many cubits to the moon.

The survivor shows are interesting to me also - they don't run the one you mentioned here in the US, but we have several of them. I don't know why I would want to know how to survive seven days in the Amazon, but I find it interesting to watch.

Jeff

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I am a Simpsons/Futurama nerd. Oh and I really enjoy Football, most people never would guess that that know me.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I, at 48?, still buy Hot Wheels. I've not stopped purchasing them in over 40 years. They've gone from being the simpleness of the "Sihloutte", "Python",and "The Beatnick Bandit", to full fledged adult collector models in 1:18th scaled divisions. They are my pride and joy. Of the simple pleasures, variety.

I'm a fan of certain movies, which always get my attention. Bulworth, Scent of a Woman, Full Metal Jacket, U-Turn, The Fisher King. All of these movies, I've watched, countless numbers of times. I cry like a little girl at several points in the movie. Always the same part, and with the same intensity.

I would like to go back and collect the only bicycle I've ever salivavated over. A Schwinn Apple Crate, Five Speed with Stick Shift, Sissy Bar and Spring Suspension Front Fork. They are still available, but the dream merchants have hocked them up to about the price of a really nice used car.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit