Dating a JW and how to get her off the cult or becoming a member myself

by svennibenni 93 Replies latest social relationships

• svennibenni
    svennibenni

Hi Jgnat what you were saying.... this affair has to progress... well see my last post... it certainly has ..... but what do you mean by : the Elders might oppose your match. It can get very ugly It is now her struggle again. this is for sure. She disobbeys so many rules but still she tells me she is so devoted to JW.... she went to convert people in the morning and afterwards she had kinda sex with me...... Maybe only because i promised her everything will work out just fine ? BUT she is not easy believing.... What do you think ...... will happen if I come up with some questions about JW...

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

You need to decide if you can live with yourself if this girl jumps off a bridge one day because you are being so selfish.

Grow the f*ck up and leave her alone.

WLG

• vitty
    vitty

I think she is also in a terrible dilemma, her natural self wants you, wants to be with you and wants to have a normal relationship with you. Her cult self is terrified of doing what is wrong and dying at armageddon, losing face, losing her family. I married outside the "truth" but got my husband "in" after 5 years thinking our life would be great, unfortunately 25 years on, the legacy is too great. Now my daughter is married and also trapped in this cult. I fund out about the organization, but its very hard to try to tell your family!

The cost is too great...............if you can get her to question it and research it for herself, maybe you have a chance. But you will NEVER convince her its not the truth. It will ruin both your lives

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    She disobbeys so many rules but still she tells me she is so devoted to JW.... she went to convert people in the morning and afterwards she had kinda sex with me.....

She is suffering from the mind-control cult personality. She believes she is just not good enough
    for "Jehovah's organization." She still thinks they are right, but that she, herself, is wrong. She may
    do all kinds of stuff with you, but would ultimately be remorseful and return to the JW's. She has
    guilt and fear working against her. Good news- she's young. She could come out of the JW's if you
    give her reasons to do so.

I am confident that trying to hold on to her by doing as she asks (joining the cult) is a bad idea.
    I stand by my words on page 1 of this thread:

I think that if you are able to have some communication with her, tell her that you
    want to learn about JW's and share what you learn with her.
  • wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Every single motive given for getting this girl out has been self centered. Every reasoning for "helping" her is based on everything it should not be.

You say you wants her to find her own answers, but with you leading the way...how are you any different from them?

Answer me this...if she started talking to a guy who had the answers you do not, and he helped her get out...how would you like it?

Then ask yourself what your motive is, getting her out or being with her. Honor is doing the right thing when it is the most difficult, you do not know at this point if you are even supposed to be together, and if you do get her out, odds are incredibly in the favor of her being someone entirely different that you would not want to be with and she would not want to be with you.

You have no idea what you are messing with, this is a person's life.

WLG

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Hi Sven and people, Here are my thoughts, which I'll pose in response to others' comments.

You also can't convert a person away from their beliefs against their will, no matter how bad it might be for them. You disrespect her person by trying to change her in to someone she is not.

I agree you can't change someone else, but I don't see how helping someone to become aware of the truth is doing that. The Watchtower Society does not let anyone be who they are. There's an expression: "We believe what we want to believe." If this girl really values her religion above Sven, and above knowing the truth, she'll believe in it whatever information she looks at.

I suggest rather that you make an ultimatum of your own. Tell her that if she really wants to be with you, your relationship has to progress. Tell her you want no more phone calls unless she is willing to get engaged and follow you. You might share a few concerns with the society and it's rules and perhaps she will struggle out on her own. But it has to be her struggle. You might have to wait a while. But if this love is genuine, isn't it worth waiting for?

Sounds similar to my "quick" suggestion. Might work, might not. I believe the slower method of studying with her would be more likely to enable her to open up her eyes. As for waiting a while, yes, undoubtedly.

That's why I wrote what I did because many times emotion and feelings can cloud judgement and I believe that once you come down a little bit from that emotion, reality sets in. I also know that the only way someone truly makes life long decisions is if the path is their own. People need to feel ownership over their decisions. The JW organization hits people at so many levels pyschological, familial, fear/guilt, body of friends that there are even people that decided to walk away on their own, but are emotional cripples unable to form meaningful relationships with others and have severe intimacy problems. The whole breaking away needs time to stick, the perso needs to unlearn behavior, thinking, etc and that is before jumping into a relationship or else it will seep into it. Now, that is my thoughts on it, how that stands up to individual people can vary, of course. And maybe things will work differently for you, but know what you are up against and be prepared of where it could go. If someone asked my advice such as yours, I would tell them to run, and run fast and don't look back.

Feeling that the decision is the person's own is very important, especially with something like this situation. That's why it probably cannot be a quick process. There's no doubt that there would be a certain amount of pain and adjustment involved on the part of the girl, but adjustments can be made. I was surprised at how natural things which I previously believed were wrong felt when I did them for the first time.

...I was such an idiot I know.

Sven, it's certainly true that kind of stuff may not be helpful to her and her situation, but it's happened now so that's that. If she was in your hotel room flirting with you then I guess it was bound to happen. To be honest, I'm surprised she was anywhere near your room due to rules from the Society.

Of course, this will be very hard for her to ignore before her own mind and probably she will argue about that ( the two egos of her I mean).

Yes. And she doesn't need feelings of guilt right now. As I said, what's done is done, but if she's to change her life for the long term I would say she needs to do it much more slowly. Not only that, but if she gets herself into trouble with her religion it would put her through a lot. Do not rush things. I suggest you don't allow yourselves to be alone together. Ironically, this is a rule which the religion has. You may need to make the same one to protect her from herself right now.

Strange is that she didnt take my apology and said there is nothin to be ashamed of or nothin to feel guilty for....... what makes me even more confused. Things are always going other ways than you expect....

From what you've said, she may simply be trying to keep you from feeling bad. She may feel guilty herself.

but what do you mean by : the Elders might oppose your match.

If the two of you were in a relationship when either one or both of you was a JW, the religious leaders (the elders) would have some amount of psychological control. This is just one reason why everybody here has told you not to become one or to be in a relationship with a person who is still one.

You need to decide if you can live with yourself if this girl jumps off a bridge one day because you are being so selfish. Grow the f*ck up and leave her alone.

This is one of life's difficult situations. It's not Sven's fault. It's not her fault. It is what it is. People meet each other and things happen.

You say you wants her to find her own answers, but with you leading the way...how are you any different from them?

Sven doesn't claim divine approval, twist the word of God (itself a human work) to control people and limit the information around 6/7 million people access or exert a disgusting amount of control over the way people live. He is someone who wants to be with the one he loves, and believes that one feels likewise.

Then ask yourself what your motive is, getting her out or being with her. Honor is doing the right thing when it is the most difficult, you do not know at this point if you are even supposed to be together, and if you do get her out, odds are incredibly in the favor of her being someone entirely different that you would not want to be with and she would not want to be with you.

If the two of them don't end up together, the net result would simply be that someone has freed themselves of a cult by their own choice. A bad thing?

You have no idea what you are messing with, this is a person's life.

It would be the girl's choice to take this as far as she wants. Her life has already been entirely messed with by the Watchtower Society. I'm not saying it would be easy for her (see my previous comments), but I don't see how it's wrong to rationally discuss issues of religion with a fully grown adult who is responsible for her own beliefs. If she loves the guy and wants to be with him, why shouldn't she be given a chance to remove the barriers if she so wishes? It's her life, and she'll do what she chooses. So Sven, this is obviously a very important stage for the poor girl. Hopefully she won't confess to an elder and then decide to cut you out. If she doesn't, then I suggest you make sure it doesn't happen again and proceed with the logical approach of objectively studying the bible. If she is to change her life (which she must do before anything can really work for the two of you) she will need time.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I bet she would marry him in the heat of the moment. Maybe that would help. Could these two go to one of those communities that specialize in quickie marriages?

Neither one is thinking straight. At least married, the elders won't be able to oppose the marriage. At least married, some of her guilt would lift.

sven, you are not at all ready to start arguing with a Jehovah's Witness. You don't know what you are getting in to. If you must continue with her, you must read Steve Hassan's books first. www.freedomofmind.com

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Are you actually encouraging this guy to get married to a JW? I must be reading your posts about being married to a JW differently than you mean for me to interpret them.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, sweetface, I married one. This guy is singularly determined, and so is his lover. Sometimes you can't stop people from their foolishness.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Do you want to know what my Witness husband's advice was for this case? The girl should go and confess to the elders right away and break it off with sven. He says the marriage would only be misery.

Then I look at him cross-eyed and I ask him if he really believes that? After all...

He quickly retreats and says we are "different".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit