Dating a JW and how to get her off the cult or becoming a member myself

by svennibenni 93 Replies latest social relationships

• svennibenni
    svennibenni

Hi eyes open !

I could follow your arguments at once by heart f.e. why not getting baptised. First thing is to get her off the hook. There is a good chance she will hate me for what I did even if she got out of this. But maybe there is a good end for both of us.And YES she is worth all I can give her. Your explanation crossed my mind as well. See I learned the old greek and can translate the original scriptures and therefor can point at every single "lie". So I can say that this is just not what I exspected and walk away. I already shown my good intention and went to a bible study class. I cannot claim to have the truth if I never studied their "truth". But I already told her I must find the right answers.... And she knows very much about me as well, knows that I was questioning EVERYTHING my whole llife but also that I am fair and reasonable. And on many occasions she counts on that!

The point of parting, all or nothing.. has its point as well, on the other hand if I told her I would be happy to lend a hand and to explain what I found out.. HELP her... sounds also good to me. Patience is one thing I'm about to learn right now and I think I can deal with that and I am willing to give her all the time she needs. And what you say about her feelings... there I am absolutely sure that she NEVER ever told anyone a bit of her feelings but me. See it took months to get her out of the corner and reveal VERY personal secrets to me. And for the doubts... She told me her brother tried to commmit suicide one year ago !!! And boy this must be so frightened that I'm absolutely sure she did have her doubts. She calls him quite often and is REALLY CARING for him. I'm pretty sure it was about his believing. But is she open enough to act on those thoughts? Not YET I think.

It is unbelievable because EVERY SINGLE LINE you wrote makes perfect sense to me and I believe she will ask for the references which have been misquoted for herself if I will pursue the way you stated !!! These were my thoughts as well. But I was wrong to think I have to get baptised !! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST

She will also consider what she will loose and what she will gain at some point... and she will loose everything but me. And I wouldnt blame her for choosing everything !! To end this thought : I now think there is a chance for her as she probably went over lots of other barriers which I just didnt realize were there. And isnt love the best motivator there is ? So I am very mean to wait til she has so much trust in me that I am able to destroy her world..... Isnt that at least as terrible... ?

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open
    How is it possible that such an organisation that brainwashes the mind of members so entirely is still allowed and not be punished after all ? I heard lots of things and read quite a bid. But the way you all tell things speaks for itself. How could you have escaped from that cage? It is soooo bitter. How can people still think it is right what they do when they could see - if they wanted to - how things turn out for several members (=victims)

It's not brainwashing exactly, but thought and information control. The religion can work quite nicely for people when they believe in it and many are obviously happy where they are, but when the ignorance is reduced things tend to get messy. When people are in, every bad practice has a justification and basic human instinct and tendencies are repressed.

Do you think it matters how old she is ? Is there any progression or could one stop it if it is "in time" ?

I guess the longer a mind has been subjected to delusion, the harder it is. But there are plenty of people here who weren't spring chickens when they escaped from the cage. How old is she?

We just had a phone call and although she seems to be passionate she tears down walls all the time... when you said no holidays.... we have been talking about where we go first and what places she wants to visit and so on.

If someone said Jehovah's Witnesses don't have holidays, in general that's not true.

She told me that it's over OK, but now she is more passionate than ever in our calls. Still she tells me that she has her principles and doubts BUT she calls me every now and then - at least 5 times a day on my mobile. She doesnt care of how much money it costs - even if I have to work she rather stays on the phone just to listen to me and telling me that she doesnt want to miss me every single minute. Her preparings for the meetings just take a tiny second compared to what time we spend together. Maybe this is already a sign that SHE wants to get out of that ???

I wouldn't want to be responsible for unduly getting your hopes up, Sven, but it does sound very positive. If she was doing what a strong JW should do, she would have restricted communication with you to business only. It seems like she's very emotionally involved.

And YES she is worth all I can give her.

There are good reasons why people here are warning you. If you decide to spend yourself on this and her, go into it with the knowledge that she may fail to free herself. Think again about how intellectually honest she is, and whether she has the personal integrity to do what is a very hard thing for her.

See I learned the old greek and can translate the original scriptures and therefor can point at every single "lie".

Okay, that's great. Just remember to go slow with her. Do not frighten her away. Go. Slow.

The point of parting, all or nothing.. has its point as well, on the other hand if I told her I would be happy to lend a hand and to explain what I found out.. HELP her... sounds also good to me.

Remember, explaining may not be possible. At least to start with, your aim is to get her to allow herself to be objective.

And what you say about her feelings... there I am absolutely sure that she NEVER ever told anyone a bit of her feelings but me. See it took months to get her out of the corner and reveal VERY personal secrets to me.

If she trusts you with important, personal things, that's great.

It is unbelievable because EVERY SINGLE LINE you wrote makes perfect sense to me and I believe she will ask for the references which have been misquoted for herself if I will pursue the way you stated !!!

Your situation is very, very similar to that of the special person that was my catalyst. There are significant differences, but we had a level of trust that I couldn't ignore. Maybe I have a more positive view of these situations than many here because I was personally able to get over the fallacies. Many don't.

She will also consider what she will loose and what she will gain at some point... and she will loose everything but me.

You show some good insight into her position. If she ever seriously researches, the more she realises there's little truth in the religion the more she will see how perversely grotesque is her situation. Her world will turn from soft cotton wool to a choking nightmare. The people around her may inflict pain in ways they cannot comprehend, whether or not she is ever disfellowshipped. She will need someone.

I now think there is a chance for her as she probably went over lots of other barriers which I just didnt realize were there.

Yes, she has. But it's only a chance.

And isnt love the best motivator there is ?

There's a saying that I apply to myself: love will get you in the end.

So I am very mean to wait til she has so much trust in me that I am able to destroy her world..... Isnt that at least as terrible... ?

I am very pleased that you recognise just how big this is to her. But there is never any justification for cults. As humanity gradually rids itself of beliefs that are untrue, more and more people will get hurt. It's not your fault. You have to do what you think is right for you both.

And I assure you, despite my fears I will never wish that my special someone had given up on me - whatever any JW does.

Keep posting and we'll do our best to help you.

• jelcat8224
    jelcat8224

hello svennibenni ... welcome to JWD

I have sent you a pm

jelcat

• wifekeepsmeinit
    wifekeepsmeinit

You've got 2 options go to a few meetings see if you can be sold on salvation or respectfully decline any type of relationship with her. Although, what is strange here is that she is associating with you to begin with?, she may actually be reaching out, trying to get a reason to leave. Either way she will have all kinds of emotional baggage. You will just have to think about it if you really care for her. Mabey you should have a heart to heart talk wit her to see how she really feels about the Organization, if she's sold on Paradise, you should probably be only friends.

• svennibenni
    svennibenni

Hi its me again,

sorry I didnt write so much yesterday. I was busy planning my trip to the UK....

I will fly tommorrow and will be back on sunday so I wll answer all posts then. And I'm sure I will have lots more to tell then, too !

Keep posting - I read everythink and will answer

• svennibenni
    svennibenni

Hi its me again,

sorry I didnt write so much yesterday. I was busy planning my trip to the UK....

I will fly tommorrow and will be back on sunday so I wll answer all posts then. And I'm sure I will have lots more to tell then, too !

Keep posting - I read everything and will answer

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hi, sven. I'm a non-JW who married a Witness. We are still together after five years. It has been very hard.

I think part of the problem is that you are dating two women in the same body. One is the typical Witness cultist. The typical Witness cultist would NEVER date a non-JW, would cut-off the relationship and would even dismiss the idea of her lover converting for her. The Witness cultist cannot imagine being part of any other religion. When she talks about cutting off the relationship, you are talking to this typical Witness cultist.

The other personality you are talking to is the natural woman. This is the one who talks to you for hours on end and is passionately in love. She is trapped with the cultist Witness personality.

I don't think you should try and make any bargains with the Witness cultist personality. You would never be good enough no matter how hard you tried. This cultist is guilty that she has anything to do with you in the first place. Have enough pride in yourself, love yourself, not to appease the cultist personality by joining her religion. All you would be doing is joining the madness. A lot of humanists (in love with a JW) make the mistake that they could easily "fake" a conversion, attend a few meetings, and generally have a nominal membership with the Witnesses. This is not possible. To become a Witness requires six months of study and after baptism hours and hours of ongoing commitment in meetings and field service. Even so, the Elders might oppose your match. It can get very ugly. You would be giving up your very being to be with her.

Don't do it.

You also can't convert a person away from their beliefs against their will, no matter how bad it might be for them. You disrespect her person by trying to change her in to someone she is not.

I suggest rather that you make an ultimatum of your own. Tell her that if she really wants to be with you, your relationship has to progress. Tell her you want no more phone calls unless she is willing to get engaged and follow you. You might share a few concerns with the society and it's rules and perhaps she will struggle out on her own. But it has to be her struggle. You might have to wait a while. But if this love is genuine, isn't it worth waiting for?

• White Dove
    White Dove

I have to say this. Be ware of women who are followers. They say they will follow you anywhere and lead the kind of life you want or both of you have talked about. The truth is that people change. Sometimes, one person will change and the other is left behind wondering what happened. I also believe that no one can keep respecting someone who just follows and obeys because a person who obeys doesn't respect herself and is a needy sort. Be careful of emotion ridden promises. People are usually married to seven different personalities, one after the other, in one person over a lifetime. If you want to be followed, get a puppy not a human. Joining a cult to be close to her? Not a very mature or well thought out decision, in my opinion.

• Layla33
    Layla33

HI Layla,

so you dont think there is any hope ? Have you been into JW ? How did YOU finish it ? All of you - That tells me it is possible !! One "only" needs a helping hand ?

Hi, I just saw your post and I wanted to respond.

I was raised in the JW organization and the majority of my family members are still part of it. I walked my own path and left on my own decision. I understand your perspective, but honestly I just gave mine. I know of hundreds of cases just like yours and rarely do they ever turn out the way you want them. The majority of the time if a person does leave the organization because of a love relationship it only lasts for a while, there is already strife between them that they have to get over and if it doesn't work out, there is an interjection of this JW religion involved.

That's why I wrote what I did because many times emotion and feelings can cloud judgement and I believe that once you come down a little bit from that emotion, reality sets in. I also know that the only way someone truly makes life long decisions is if the path is their own. People need to feel ownership over their decisions. The JW organization hits people at so many levels pyschological, familial, fear/guilt, body of friends that there are even people that decided to walk away on their own, but are emotional cripples unable to form meaningful relationships with others and have severe intimacy problems. The whole breaking away needs time to stick, the perso needs to unlearn behavior, thinking, etc and that is before jumping into a relationship or else it will seep into it.

Now, that is my thoughts on it, how that stands up to individual people can vary, of course. And maybe things will work differently for you, but know what you are up against and be prepared of where it could go. If someone asked my advice such as yours, I would tell them to run, and run fast and don't look back.

• svennibenni
    svennibenni

Hi, this is me again and Im sitting in a hotel room and am so confused I really cant think normal. Still in the UK I just brought my baby to the trainstation and am sitting now alone with my thoughts in front of this computer. NO what I dont want is a follower !! She is absolutely not a follower to me in any way. She is a computer tech as well and has her own ideas and certainly I would never want her to be my puppy. And if she says she will follow me, that only means that if I decided later to move to italy for example she will go with me. The question war risen before > she is just turning 20 ! so that makes her very young and maybe still .... Today was a VERY special day. I dont know how to write that, because it is very personal. But in order that you can understand me I have to tell you that today in my hotel room we became quite intimate. No we didnt sleep together but she moved in a way that everybody would understand this and then she let me touch her ... I was such an idiot I know. I couldnt help it, it just came over me. Of course, this will be very hard for her to ignore before her own mind and probably she will argue about that ( the two egos of her I mean). I promised before that I will not sleep with her before we are married, but this is quite close to that and now I dont know what will happen next... I told her that I am afraid, that she will loose control and come to some odd decision for herself ... ( she understood for sure that I meant suicide) and I apologized often that I lost control myself and how weak I was. Strange is that she didnt take my apology and said there is nothin to be ashamed of or nothin to feel guilty for....... what makes me even more confused. Things are always going other ways than you expect.... I know that she does love me very very much and I see more and more barriers broken... This certainly is one hell of a barrier I am sure... Of course afterwards she was very quiet and thinking it over and over again....... I felt so sorry for her I knew I did let her down in a way... As strong as I am mostly but today I was just an idiot any new suggestions

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit