Education Survey

by larc 81 Replies latest jw friends

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

dropped out of tenth grade while still a JW (the end was coming, the end was coming!!!) Went back after a decade 'out' and graduated from nursing school at age 40 1/2.

Hopefully soon, I can go back and get my RN in alternative nursing ( homeopathic and herbs and nutrition and stuff). Maybe by then there will be a job such as that!!!

I sometimes think about all the crap my non-JW family and circle of associates had to put up with from me (buy my books or my God will kill you, yadayada) and how forgiving they've been since then, and finally now I'm able to give a little something back .

BITE ME WATCHTOWER !!!!!

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I was a bit of an enigma, and I think that is why a barrier was forged between myself and the "brothers" who held positions of oversight in the congregation I attended.

I graduated from high school at age 16 as valedictorian of my class. At the time of my high school graduation I was still a very loyal active Dub, even auxiliary pioneering, carrying the mics, and reading at Book Study.

The elders kind of nudged me in the direction that I should go to Bethel. It was funny. The conversation kind of went like this:

"Now that your done with high school, have you considered Bethel? Nothing is more important or rewarding than the full time service to Jehovah... blah blah blah"

To which I responded that actually I was considering going straight to college because I had a choice of scholarships and wanted to get a good job.

They didnt like that, their rebuttal was along the lines of storing up your treasures in heaven and not being drawn to the material passions of the world.

I was surprisingly outspoken, and Ill never forget it. I said yeah thats why you have a job making 6 digits a year, drive a Range Rover, and dont serve at Bethel, so I suppose its up to you to tell me how to run my life?

Needless to say elders dont like it when they are challenged, especially by a 16 yr old. I told them I could make good money and then pioneer, and it was my choice, not theirs. The Society no longer discouraged post-secondary education, so what was the issue? Even as elders, they could not refute what I said, but the gap definitely widened from that point forward.

Anyway, I went on to graduate from college with my B.A. in Business Administration at age 19. The institution I attended offers classes year round, so instead of taking the summers off to play around, you can finish your Baccaulaureate program in 3 years instead of 4.

I will never regret getting a college education. Taking elective classes in Philosophy, Religion, Ethics, and Law helped widen my perspective and eased my transition in leaving the Witnesses after realizing the endless flaws in doctrine and the realization that people in the "world" are not as evil as they are proclaimed to be.

I currently work for a Manufacturing Firm in Chicago as the Director of Purchasing. Its kind of funny, I am 21 and directly subordinate to a Vice President, and the closest one in age in the office to me is 44. I plan on going back and finishing up my MBA and possibly a JD before I turn 25.. thats the plan anyway.

Well, I guess Ive rambled enough about my life here, but I wanted to be thorough. If anyone does happen to read this that is pondering going to school.. DO IT! It is a sacrifice and a very heavy investment, but the rewards are very satisfying in more ways than one.

Keep the stories coming, I want to read more.

The true Kingdom of God is located in your heart, not an organization of hypocrites.

www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html for my new webpage and info!! Im trying to live now!!

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Jason,
    I visited your website--it's very good. I enjoyed your pix.

Larc,
    This is a very good thread, especially to encourage younger folks to get a degree to help them all their lives. If i had to work many more years, i would too. However, i just plan to investigate what interests me until i retire (maybe in about 5 years) and then take some classes at the local college.

WTBS: Quit peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
  • gravedancer
    gravedancer

I am a MFU

• waiting
    waiting

o gravedancer,

around here, a "MFU" doesn't necessarily have a scholarly meaning. could you elaborate?

I have various credits from years ago (before I became a jw) - and now, after 30 yrs jw, am accumulating more at our local university. But I'll probably never venture towards graduation - our business takes too much time.

Like Pat, I'm going to take courses that interest me and see what happens. Sure makes my regular job more palatable - something else to think about!

waiting

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Major Fuck Up

• mike047
    mike047

gravedancer; are you expecting promotion to LtCol?

After being an uninspired student, I quit HS to join the military. Received Electronics training that I promptly forgot. After release, I prefered to work with my hands and became a Toolmaker. I have attended various institutions of higher learning, only to pass the time or to study something interesting to me. I have done OK, I have a paid for house and a spare tire around my middle. At 54 I don't expect much from this world, and am rarely disapointed in what I receive.

edited for some spelling and I am sure I didn't correct them all.

• IMBlueFire
    IMBlueFire

Graduated HS w/Honors-Top 5% of class..1st in State in Art/Commercial Art

Lettered & Received Full Art Scholarship
    JWs Discouraged it
    Married, had a child, Pioneered, Year Text Painter
    JWs Happy
    Managed an Advertising Agency
    JWs Discouraged it
    Opened own Advertising Agency
    JWs Discouraged it
    Started College
    JWs Discouraged it
    Started College again
    JWs Discouraged it
    Thought about College some more
    JWs Discouraged it
    Left the JWs
    Too Discouraged for College

• mindfield
    mindfield

I'm in my first year at college, studying in Arts and Letters for a future university education in Journalism.

Up to now, I'm enjoying it. It's interesting.

• larc
    larc

Brought this back up, because I think it is very uplifting to read these experiences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit