Education Survey

by larc 81 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

We are not exactly sure what he will do with his tremendous intellect---We can only hope that he will use it in behalf of mankind and against evil.

My bet : Lawyer, maybe writer-excellent creative skills.
    He's been talking paramedic. We've been trying to get him into a med career a little farther up the money pyramid and down the stress/ burnout ladder. Maybe nursing or some other Para med occupation. Its a growth industry.

We know for sure he doesn't have a "engineering", sweating, or WWWWWorking (Maynard G Crebs) bone in his little bod. Bending his back to gain anything hold no facination to this one.

• outnfree
    outnfree

SIGH!!!

Not a JW growing up, so no excuse except fear kept me from pursuing a college education. I was afraid to leave home and be on my own after graduating high school.

So I went to work for a year and a half. And then "scaredy-cat" wound up LEAVING THE COUNTRY!!!! to go to Switzerland to get my Diplome de l'Alliance francaise (whereby you pass written and oral exams given by reps of the French govt. to certify you fluent in that language).

Came back to the States and used my bi-lingualism in my work for the next 10 years. Then had kids and stayed home.

Also have a Travel Agent Certificate of Completion and worked P/T at that for a while.

Now that my eldest is about to go to college, am considering doing the same.

Thanks, larc. Because all of these stories have inspired me to try!

outnfree

Par dessus toutes choses, soyez bons. La bonte est ce qui ressemble le plus a Dieu et ce qui desarme le plus les hommes -- Lacordaire

• 4horsemen
    4horsemen

Iarc,

Undergrad level: Double major; Economics/Cognitive Science U.C.S.D
    Grad level: M.B.A, Stanford University

Interesting that the only JW who encouraged me to go to college (other than my dad, he saved my life) was an engineer. Go figure.

• yrs2long
    yrs2long

Undergrad B.S - English
    Minor - Linguistics (ESL)

Tried to attend college while I was a jdub but I was laughed at from the podium.

Currently pursuing Graduate degree in Educational Technology.

• larc
    larc

Thank you everyone,

I got much enjoyment from reading your experiences and the diversity of talent that is evidenced here. Your stories are a testimony of the power of the human spirit over the oppression of it. You serve as an inspiration for those who have left and are finding themselves. Hey, if we did it, others can too.

• larc
    larc

Friends and neighbors,

I thought that some new people might want to see this. You are out and thinking about an education. Here is what other people have to say. I hope this gives you inspiration.

• larc
    larc

Recently, there was a thread about people's various occupations. I found it to be very interesting. So, I thought I would bring this thread up one more time, to both encourage others thinking of college and to have others share their experiences. Since this last appeared, I know that Waiting is taking a college course, and I get the impression that she is loving it.

• Beans
    Beans

I graduated from College for Electrician Construction & Maintenance,Electronic Control.I am always updating with related courses in the field,Fibre Optics,PLC`s,Communications.

Beans

• Preston
    Preston

I have a Bachelor of Science degree from Arizona State University in Computer Information Systems (CIS) and I'm currently studying for A+ Comptia techical certification.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

larc' nice thread.
    I started college at 42. I'm still there,in my mid 40's.
    I'm taking everything I can get my hands on but just recently I decided to lean more towards finance. I for some reason get excited about anything to do with banking. Don't ask me why, It just clicks.
    plm

"The fellow that agrees with everything you say is either a fool or he is getting ready to skin you."
    - Kin Hubbard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit