Education Survey

by larc 81 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Education was strongly discouraged among the Witnesses. I am curious as to how many of you went on for further education and in what fields. I will go ahead and list the ones I already know.

Larc - advanced degrees in Organizational Psychology

JAVA - Master's in Sociology - didn't start college until he was 40.

Lindy - started college last year with her daughter - on the Dean's list the first term

AlanF - Master's in Electrical Engineering from MIT, plus coarse work towards a PhD

JanH - Master's in religious history.

Teejay - went to college last year and took a class in social psych.

Tina and Mommy - Some medical and psychological education, but I am not sure of the specifics.

Trevor - worked as a therapist and wrote wonderful posts here, but hasn't been here for awhile.

Deacon - therapy, I think, but he hasn't said much about his background.

If I was wrong on any of the above, please correct me. For the rest of you, I would be interested in your educational strivings. I think your stories could be an inspiration to others and we might identify some cluster of people with common interests.

• TR
    TR

TR- Advanced degree in Bluster and Bullshit.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• larc
    larc

Hey TR,

If I had your skill at rehabing houses, I would be a rich man. I might not remember what I ate for breakfast, but I remember your posts.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Well, my father taught me how to read when I was three. I joined the Theocratic Ministry School at age four. Even gave a district assembly part at age five.

It was recommended that I skip grade 2, but my parents declined since I was a very meek child and they were afraid of my being surrounded by older kids.

I excelled at every subject, but when I entered high school, my friends were all getting baptized and I was getting more concerned about (1) JW chicks and (2) slacking off since Armageddon was near and who needs an education/job/career in this old, dying, wicked system of things?

So by my sophomore year I quit trying to be "smart." I quit my literature and mathematics college courses, took up 'small engine repair' twice and also an extra Phys. Ed. (I was informed that I could not gain any credit for taking these courses twice, but I didn't care, I was required to have five courses a day, so I needed some fill, after all, I didn't want to bother with American Lit. or Calculus). By 11th grade I was allowed only FOUR courses, so I dropped Advanced Physics and spent the better part of the day off campus drinking coffee at a nearby restaurant. By senior year I was out of school by 11:30 AM and went in afternoon field service (not coincidentally generally attended by several young pioneer sisters).

To the best of my knowledge, I did qualify for a NYS Regents Diploma, but I never went to Graduation, and I never received it. Why should I care about that stuff? Armageddon is coming. Jehovah isn't going to care about worldly education, so why should I? Heck, all I had to do was make enough bucks to show the elders I could put a roof over my wife's head and I'd be able to 'ride out this old system' with nothing to really worry about.

Fortunately, I went into my father's business and he insisted that I become an expert at what we do, so I got certified by several agencies and today enjoy a successful living. In many ways, I wish I did go to school, but then I look at some of my friends, who are much smarter than I am, have a gazillion college credits, and yet they have go-nowhere jobs and major debts. I own a house, have no debt, and am doing rather well.

So Jehovah was right after all. College is for SUCKERS!

• larc
    larc

Cygnus,

There is a little bull shit in your story. If you were that advanced as a small child, there were very few of your friends who were smarter than you. High IQ people generally do well whether they get a college degree or not, so your personal story does not mean the a college education is worthless. Some use it to their advantage and some don't. I, for one, maxed it out as an experience and as a way to have a career that I loved.

• why144000
    why144000

I grew up during the 1960' and 1970's. I could never blame the '1975 thing' as a reason for not getting a good education. I hated school and wanted to get out and make some money. The 'Big A' was a good reason for not continuing my education. I did not go back to study for many years. Now I have an MBA and manage a company that is quite successful. I am not sure that a degree is anything more than an example of being able to complete a course. It seems that the piece of paper gets you in the door but then it is up to you to show you can do the job.

• Mazza
    Mazza

Phd is me. ( Permenent home duties!!!!!!!!!!!) Educated at the School of Hard Knox!!!! Seriously though, life is an on going learning experience and I believe many of us exjws have received a well rounded education in life. My husband DAvid who was disfellowshipped with me in 1981 for no longer believing the in God went on to get a Phd in Education and he is now an Assoc. Professor at the Open University of Hong Kong. Not too shabby eh?!!

Marilyn
    ps I thought Deacon told me he was a medical doctor, but I may have that wrong.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I just completed my first degree... at 35!

I was doing a BSc. in Education & Secondary Science (with QTS), fulltime at University. I did three of four years at 2.1.

I then had to work, and have just completed two years of part-time study in English Literature which gives me enough for my degree.

I guess you'd call it a BSc. in Science & Education as Majors and a Minor in English Literature, so it's a bit messy, and thus quite me.

I might do a year-long course to give me QTS (Qualified TEacher Status) either in Holland or England, but will have to wait a couple of years for my girlfriend to finish Conservatory.

Keep on rocking in the free world...

• larc
    larc

Mazza,

You should be right proud of your hubbie, getting a fud, I mean PhD. That ain't shabby. I have a fud myself, but since I am retired now, I can act like an idiot if I want to.

You mentioned that Deacon has an MD. I can't recall him posting that here. Did he say that in chat, in which case I would have missed it, or did he tell you that in person. At any rate, I guess he can come here and 'splain it to us.

• Tina
    Tina

edited.Due to family member's concerns.
    I'm a CMA
    near my Bachelors in Psych....the rest was really TMI.Tina

Jehovahs Witnesses,Proudly Serving Their Corporate Masters!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit