Trash THIS!

by Farkel 128 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

Here is an interesting challenge for the folks. This thread revolves around one subject, and that is Thomas Paine's brilliant critique of the Bible written in about 1795. He did most of this from memory, while in prison in France.

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/thomas_paine/age_of_reason/

The challenge is this: critique his essays. Read BOTH parts 1 and 2, and then respond. If you haven't read it, don't bother to post. I don't want opinions, chit chat, cutsy stuff or your own personal opinions. I don't want your own uninformed ideas, speculations, judgments or stories. The Age of Reason is and will remain the topic of this thread. Anyone who has not read it and posts in this thread will be evicerated. By me, if not by any one who has actually taken the time to read it.

I suspect that bubble-headed-blabber-mouth "pick me, pick ME" types will still respond, and I don't and cannot moderate all the morons in here like that. I trust the other people who have read it might just well agree with this approach and do their own "moderating" for the ding-dongs that think their "opinions" mean something.

I suspect this thread will die as soon as it is posted. I'm willing to bet money on it.

Farkel, muckraker Class

• Aphrodite
    Aphrodite

Who IS Thomas Paine? All I can say after speed reading the first part, is I agree with him.

Its very interesting, thanks for posting it. I remember Thomas Paines name from somewhere, lol, probably from the movie National Treasure.

Its very well written. I don't believe in the bible anyway, so of course I agree. (pick me, pick me!)

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

Farkel

I like your masturbation threads more

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

You or somebody else posted this link a few years ago, just after I first came here. I printed a copy and read it. It was amazing. It had a great deal of depth and I could only read a few pages at a time to let me digest it. My memory is not as solid as it used to be, so I just try to hold on to the impression that it left me with.

I think Thomas Paine was the author or at least the scribe who wrote the U.S. Constitution or other documents during the formation of our government.

• parakeet
    parakeet

May I have a day or two to read it before I critique it? In the meantime, bttt.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Sigh. I notice that at the very beginning of this thread, two twits are unwilling to play by the simple rules and just want to babble about nonsense. They probably were too lazy to even READ the topic and the rules and just want to be heard at any cost and no matter how stupid their message might be:

Twit one:

Cultswatter,

:I like your masturbation threads more.

Twit two:

tijkmo,

darkuncle29,

: I think Thomas Paine was the author or at least the scribe who wrote the U.S. Constitution or other documents during the formation of our government.

No. Thomas Paine was a commoner and a pamphleteer. He had virtually nothing to do with the writing of the Constitution. However, he wrote a very popular pamphlet called "Common Sense" which argued for a Republic and no doubt contributed the the campaign for Independence in the Colonies. His formal education was not nearly in the league of say, a Thomas Jefferson. But he was still a self-educated genius and a brilliant author.

Farkel

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well I may be a moron but I can spell eviscerate!

a gentle suggestion: if you want an intellectual discussion, maybe you could say so without calling people morons and twits. It's a little off-putting.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Twit #3 responds:

:a gentle suggestion: if you want an intellectual discussion, maybe you could say so without calling people morons and twits. It's a little off-putting.

This thread is about NOTHING other than Thomas Paine. I warned nitwits like you that if you veered off that subject, you would get whacked. It's not about pedants and whiners like you, it's not about avatars, it's not about being politically correct and not affending little weak flower crybabies (like you). I don't give a rat that my comments are "off putting" to you, twit #3. This topic is about Paine. You can whine about me on other threads. There are plenty of opportunities to be a pedant and whine, but please not in here.

YOU didn't read the simple rules I carefully outlined and if you did, you chose not abide by them. That is why you are twit #3. You think YOUR sensitivities are SPECIAL and more important than the simple rules on my simple and single, little thread.

Those that stay on THIS topic, get respect. Those that don't, don't.

Farkel

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

my you must be having a bad day. But here's an interesting bit from Thomas Paine: "I have seen, since I have been at liberty, several publications written, some in America, and some in England, as answers to the former part of "The Age of Reason." If the authors of these can amuse themselves by so doing, I shall not interrupt them, They may write against the work, and against me, as much as they please; they do me more service than they intend, and I can have no objection that they write on."

Paine's position - he believed in God but not in religion. Nice that in more modern times we can be free to simply say we don't believe. Of course if any of a great number of fundamentalist groups were to succeed in acquiring the power they crave, that would not be true any longer. So maybe not so much progress after all.

I love your thread
    Sincerely,
    Twit #3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit