Elder asks me why we quit... (Long)

by Odrade 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JK666
    JK666

I think you can forget about the Photoshop help. They shouldn't ask the questions, if they can't handle the answers, or have an adequate rebuttal. How many times did he say "they are just men?" So are the Governing Body - THAT is the point!

JK

• south african beef
    south african beef

I think it was a great read - thanks for posting it.

Why I like it is because I can really imagine being in your shoes, I was there with you in the conversation.

My father sounds extremely similar to the elder you met, intelligent, quick witted and easily loved. However, despite being df'd nearly 6 years ago, I have never had the courage to have a 'conversation' with my dad about how I actually feel now about the religion.Both my parents have deluded themselves that everything that comes out of Brooklyn is correct, even when it gets changed every few years.

All the best,

SAB

• TMS
    TMS

odrade,

Well-reasoned responses, odrade. . . . . Personal integrity as a reason for departure is not what JW's want to hear. Being stumbled, a secret sin, discouragement or depression are sicknesses that can be treated with a myriad of JW cliche's. To say that the religion is a lie puts you on death row without possibility of parole. You would have to admit that you are the liar, not Jehovah's name people to ever be accepted back.

The elder gave it his best shot. He had the burden of proof, not you. The cell phone call rescued him from an uncomfortable situation. Anger caused him to handle his departure less graciously than normal. He should at least call you back and apologize for his curt departure.

tms

• juni
    juni
    "Well, maybe you're just too intelligent for Jehovah."

I have to laugh Odrade! You had him by the balls w/your reasoning. He had no where to go w/his
    "canned" replies....thus the comment. I feel there ARE some very nice people in the JW organization, but as you said they've made the CHOICE.

• Must obey!
    Must obey!
    He said 1. it sounded like a conspiracy, and that the courts were likely manipulated,

That comment would have infuriated me. Just sums up how thoroughly brainwashed most elders are. So when the Courts rule in favour of JW's it is the "earth" swallowing up Satan's machinations but when the Courts rule against the organisation it is some diabolical conspiracy. Pathetic. You cannot reason with people like this who are totally irrational & biased.

if I could just overlook that and "hang on for 1-2 more years, we would be in the new system and it would be over. Jehovah would deal with it. Wouldn't it be worth 1-2 more years of endurance to be in paradise?"

That is equally as pathetic. What a fool this man is. How long has he swallowed this crap..that the end is just around the corner. A dreamer, living in a dream world! Make sure you chase him up in 5 years time to remind him of his comment here.

• poppers
    poppers

I read every word of your very excellent post, and it was great.

• dawg
    dawg

Very interesting thread.... at least he didn't go into the old JW mantra of questioning your morals... my cousin pulled that shit last night, and I set him stright in a freaking hurry. Good job and at least this time there's an end to the story! LOL!

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Thank you for this excellent post - I was hanging onto every word.

It's all terribly sad, I know so many like this, beautiful, intelligent, wonderful people who let their cult personality overrule their true selves. Maybe one day he'll wake up and smell the espresso. Or maybe he won't.

I know they are choosing to believe all the BS and that all logic and reason goes out the window on this subject alone but they are handicapped due to the powerful mind control over the years - hats off to the WTBTS - they've pulled off a blinder.

Our 'friends' are victims without a shadow of a doubt. We all are.

Sigh.

• Aphrodite
    Aphrodite

Thankyou Odrade, I really enjoyed reading this and it made me feel better about a lot of things. Im not pulling any punches anymore either. I have been tiptoeing around them all for too long.

• free2think
    free2think

Great post. I totally agree with you on their choosing to stay indoctrinated, sad but true.

Thank you for posting this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit