Elder asks me why we quit... (Long)

by Odrade 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Wow. So sorry to hear about your friend. You said:

Thanks all. I'm not feeling guilty for speaking frankly with him. It's just that I remember what a state of turmoil my life was thrown into once I realized that the "truth" wasn't true. Disillusionment coupled with depression is a dangerous thing.

Yes, many of us have experienced that first hand. I see it like chemotherapy. It can cure the cancer but some people are physically unable to withstand it.

• blondie
    blondie

Odrade, sorry to hear about your friend. If we could cause someone to commit suicide, then that means we can stop people from doing it, and that is not my experience. It is one of those inward things. Of course, we can support people, but in the end the effort comes from within them. If there is a culprit it is the cruel doctrines of the WTS.

Love, Blondie

• free2think
    free2think

Im really sorry to hear about your friend Odrade.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I wonder what the statistics are on JWs that are suffering alcoholism and depression?

• undercover
    undercover

Sorry to hear of this.

I lost a friend to suicide and I've wondered for a long time what I could have done to have prevented it. I finally realized that it wasn't anything I did or said that caused it, nor could I have prevented it, had I known what was going on in his mind.

Take care...

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Wow, this is very tragic. It shows better than anything that the Watchtower Society is playing with people's lives.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Oh my gods, Odrade, how horrible! I am so, so sorry... for you, for him... for his family and all who loved him.

Here is a prayer and a hope for every thinking man and woman still within the Watchtower's clutches.

Love to you,
    Baba.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Disillusionment coupled with depression is a dangerous thing.

Yes, it is. I am so sorry that he felt he had no reason to live. His family must be devastated.

He did ask you to tell him the reason you were not going anymore. You answered him honestly.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Wow, what a powerful thread this is. I've read every word of it.

I'm very sorry about your friend's death.

I hate this religion more than anything on this earth. This man had been hanging on and hanging on for many decades for Jehovah to bring about Armageddon. He couldn't hang on anymore.

I agree with the person above that mentioned all the depression and alcoholism in this religion. If my relatives are any indication it is extremely high. And those of us that have left even as teenagers have been affected by depression and alcoholism also.

What inner turmoil this man must have been suffering! The story almost makes me cry and I do not even know this man. But there are things about the way that you have described him that remind me very much of my father who died in very, very similar turmoil back in March of 1978. He didn't commit suicide but I know he realized that the WTS was a fraud and really had no one to talk to about it. His heart went into a very irregular beat and he fell over dead one morning alone.

• imissmaine
    imissmaine

Very tragic & sad :(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit