Elder asks me why we quit... (Long)

by Odrade 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• atypical
    atypical

Odrade - amazing job! I admire your aplomb. I hate to admit that even though I have been gone for about three years, I cannot get through a conversation like this without getting worked up and emotional; therefore I usually avoid getting into it. I hope at some point I can remain collected when I am faced with old jw friends and acquaintances who want to know why I left.

• TonyT
    TonyT

Good post.

• Watkins
    Watkins

You have a wonderful writing style and I read every word! I like the way you tried to always bring the conversation back to love - it's all about the love. And you definitely planted a seed - let him think long and hard about his son and what real love should feel like and act like.

I do think he's a victim, but his son is an even sadder victim to the brain-washing that chains them to this sadistic religion.

They are being deceived, as we all were. As it was with each of us, it takes the right seed planted at the right time - you did good!

watkins

• sosad
    sosad

excellent post!

It is too easy to walk away from confrontation with friends still ina nd to try and justify it - the reality is, somewhere inside they already KNOW and will not be surprised to hear us talk about it to them

• mavie
    mavie

Good job Odrade.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Odrade,

Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.

Thanks for posting your experience. I agree with you. He probably will think about your words later on. Hopefully he will stop choosing to ignore the real truth about his belief system. It is not an easy thing for a person to do - especially if they have been indoctrinated for a long time.

Peace to you!

The Oracle

• Open mind
    Open mind

It pays to go stumbling around the back waters of JWD old posts now and then.

Can't believe I missed this one!

Excellent conversation, logic & writing.

Are your services for hire?

OM

• choosing life
    choosing life

Oldrade,

I don't think I would want to come up against you in an argument. You can certainly hold your own. On the point of integrity, I told an elder once that I couldn't, in good conscience, continue to support or teach a doctrine I did not believe in. He thought it would be alright, as it was a doctrine that didn't "come up much."

To walk away because of integrity is a thought that leaves them bewildered.

• Mulan
    Mulan

That was really good reading. Thanks for sharing. Wish I had seen it sooner.

You did a great job.

One more point on the Mormons. When I was about 20, the Mormons had the same number of members as the JW's. The last time I saw a number is was 22 million. That's about 4 times the number of JW's. They are doing something very right. And their kids aren't retreating to the world in record numbers. They lose some, but most stay in the faith.

Don't worry, I'm not going to convert. Done with religion forever.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Oldrade, Just 3 words: YOU GO GIRL!!! I found it very stimulating and informative! I remember when an elder came to my door, we spoke about my DA years ago and they wanted me back in the fold. I told him I have some questions that needed answers before even considering going back to the Org(picture that happening).Once I press him on the 144,000 number being literal or symbolic, and the hundreds of thousands of early Christians who were martyred for their belief in Christ, he jumps to a totally different topic!! LOL It wasn't only a few seconds(not minutes) later he was out the door, never to be seen at my door again. I found him as well as others I have encountered among the JWs with short attention spans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit