What if God IS a farce?

by LouBelle 110 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Dansk,

The "House of David" on the Tel Dan Stela.

The Mesha Stela mentions King Omri, who ruled in the northern kingdom of Israel after the united kingdom split.

The Shishak Relief depicts Egypt's victory over King Rehoboam, David's grandson, when Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem was sacked.

The Ahmose Stele describes catastrophic events in Egypt that map well to Biblical chronology for the events in Exodus.

There's more than this.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    But there is the possibility that there is some
    intelligence out there, and he started us

But then we have to ask who/what started the "he" off you talk about?

In our male-dominance English, it is proper to label the thing out there
    as "he." It is cumbersome to keep saying "it" or "that intelligence" or
    other such terms. If you want to say that calling it "he" contributes to
    giving it the personality of "God" I would agree. Touche.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    But then we have to ask who/what started the "he" off you talk about?

"Start" and "End" have meaning within the continuum of Time. Outside of Time they are meaningless. It is like asking what does the color red taste like.

Time began with the beginning. It is a property of the physical universe. Effects in the universe affect the flow of Time (gravitational fields and movement and so forth),so we know that time is not the immutable thing that our senses report to us in our daily lives.

If God made the universe, it is meaningless to speak of Him "starting". The term lacks meaning in that context.

If we speak of God as eternal it is not because he has no beginning and no end, it is because he is outside of Time.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

One more thing Dansk,

The consensus among experts in the field is that Jesus was a historical figure the view that he was a myth is in the minority:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

BTW, I appreciate your civility, despite that I do not agree with you. You strike me as being a very gentle man.

Burn

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

So what if God is a farce?

We still have a huge amount of love in the world and compassion and many many good people. We have enjoyments in life like making things, enjoying sexual relations, having friends, viewing entertainment, eating good tasting foods, seeing beutiful suroundings, and comunicating with our fellow faders, apostates and other expatriots. So if God is real, we know why we have all these good things, because God wants us to and If he is a farce we don't know why we have them and it doesn't matter.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

> Outside of Time they are meaningless.

time is just a measure for different states of the universe as an entity. there can't be a movement, a making, even a thought without time.

"Divinity comes from within" -- Thoreau

I see no evidence to support the existence of any of man's gods. I think Thoreau was on to something!

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

proving that people of note existed in biblical times, while not easy, is possible. BUT, proving all the supernatural goings-on in the bible to have actually happened is a pretty tough row to hoe. i think there was a Jesus, but i dont think he ascended to heaven when he died or glowed with spirit or healed sickies.

the witnesses love to point out archaeological evidence supporting the existence of biblical events and people and then using that to assume the truth of everything else in it.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Burn,

I'll get back to you. You've given me a lot to peruse.

BTW, I appreciate your civility, despite that I do not agree with you.

Is there any other way?

Ian

• changeling
    changeling

You're on the right track darlin...

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit