What if God IS a farce?

by LouBelle 110 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Right so I've bookedmarked 1st, 2nd & 3rd law for more reading, bookedmarked the Constantine page for more reading.

Oh and Ian that egyptologist I was talking about - I think it's Zahi Hawass - but I"m reading up more on that too.

Thanks so much for all your imput so far - had an indepth conversation with a collegue of mine on this subject - he pretty much believe in a higher energy and that everything in this world, no matter what is connected by it, to it, through it.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hi LouBelle,

Please feel free to PM me anytime. I can give you some contact info if you would like some help with your questions.

Love,

Burn

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

loubelle, while it's non of my business what you believe and i don't gain anything by attempting to "convert" anybody to atheism, i want to add this:

you say, you'd chose the label "atheist", if you'd be sure that there is no god. well, i felt that way for quite some time too. i was comfortable with the term "agnostic" though. but as i always try to point out, atheism does not necessarily say with a 100% security that there is no such thing as gods. it sufficient to say: "there's just no reason/evidence/proof to believe in a god" to be an atheist. in fact, atheism is agnosticism thought to the end.

it's clear that the judeo-christo-muslim gods along with most other gods described in books are impossible. it's a 100% sure they don't exist. but you could always make up a god that can't be disproven. like there's no 100% proof that there's no chinese teapot orbiting the moon. the question is, what good is a made up god?

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hya Burn:

but evidence has been found.

What is the evidence you infer? I accept that some evidence has been found, for example an engraving with Pontius Pilate's name on it, but none of it proves God's existence or that the Bible was inspired by him, merely that Pontius Pilate existed. I'd like to see evidence of the exodus, the slavery in Egypt, the mighty kingdom of David and Solomon, Solomon's splendid palace, etc. There isn't any! In fact, if we go further forward, there's no existence that Jesus the Messiah existed, either!

Regarding people saying we might as well do just as we want, aren't we doing that anyway? Because I'm not religious doesn't mean I want to kill someone or rob them of their valuables. It doesn't mean we can't be decent human beings. There's absolutely no connection with there being no God and a breakdown of society's values. In fact, I daresay most people who commit crime belong to some religious persuasion, though many no longer abide by its tenets.

Atheism does not equal social disorder.

Ian

• Dansk
    Dansk

Louise:

he pretty much believes in a higher energy and that everything in this world, no matter what, is connected by it, to it, through it.

Now, we're getting closer to my own beliefs. But here again it is only belief, I have no empirical evidence. I have only my own experiences and knowledge. I feel no need for a god in my life.

Ian

• mouthy
    mouthy

OOPs that got away from me .jaugerbass said he notices where believing in God is a "coping mechanism")sp?) For me it is !!!!!!

I belive in Jesus Christ. The Father ,the Holy Spirit. > The Trinity!
    Do I believe all written in the Bible? No ! Why? because I believe there is nothing new under the sun. (O.K. I know your all going to point out new things but they are only more evolving of the former things) Man always adds on to everything they still do!,I think a few added on to what was originally said ( Put down that rock guys)
    My life has been extremly difficult.... I guess you could class me as a religious nut. But I dont attend Church but I talk to God ( Jesus in fact) constantly. Many of my prayers are answered MANY not!!!!

But HE is a comfort to me. Knowing HIM I have met wonderful folks ,some believe in him ,many dont, but we are children ( just as your kids dont know ALL about you,,NOT ALL) I dont know ALL about HIM. But I really dont know how I could exist with out HIM
    When I have doubts!!! There has been times when I did & do! I ask forgivness -because I still can see all the wonderful things that HAD to have a creator in MY mind

• LouBelle
    LouBelle
    I feel no need for a god in my life.

Now that is how I was feeling last night. Whatever I want to do in this world I can, if I want to make more money, I need only change my career or partake in whatever I feel fit. If I want to find a husband - I can - I don't have to pray about it first, I just have to make myself available.

There is not necessarily a god that I have to pray too in order to change my life, or a god that blesses me or not - I'm in control of it, in every aspect.

Burn - thanks - I may just take you up on that - but right now I don't know what to ask for.

mouthy - I'm don't go to church either - and I still choose to talk to god - and in an odd, crazy way I do enjoy it, but what if it's all for naught. Since you are a woman of prayer, please keep me in yours ;o)

• Satanus
    Satanus

'he pretty much believe in a higher energy and that everything in this world, no matter what is connected by it, to it, through it.'

I'm along that line, too. I'm not exactly atheist, but i agree w most of their arguments.

S

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Well, hang on to your hat. There's more possibilities than just HIS existence or not.

You already consider that he might be Jehovah or Jesus or Allah or something that
    Christianity doesn't support.

I lean toward disbelief in Him/Her/It. But there is the possibility that there is some
    intelligence out there, and he started us off, but is disinterested in what we do now.
    Or he is not disinterested, but doesn't interfere, or doesn't want us wasting so much
    energy worshipping him.

In field service, years back, I encountered a grown-up hippy. He became an amateur
    philosopher. He said, "If this Jehovah is out there, do you think he wants you to spend
    every day selling those magazines and bowing to him? He created you to love and
    enjoy life. Acknowledge that and start living that life for yourself. Doesn't he want you to enjoy
    life?" The guy was right. I extend it further to say, "If he doesn't make his will clear
    for us, is it possible that he doesn't have one? Isn't he forgiving and understanding
    enough to allow us to live a decent life, without being religious, and then not holding
    that against us since he didn't clearly spell out a lifecourse for us?"

• Dansk
    Dansk
    But there is the possibility that there is some
    intelligence out there, and he started us

But then we have to ask who/what started the "he" off you talk about?

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit