What if God IS a farce?

by LouBelle 110 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

OICU:

Because of the obvious design in the universe

Actually, there is no obvious design. There are laws, though.

from the smallest to the largest I believe there was a creation.

This is the whole point. One believes because of one's faith, not on what is proven. It cannot be proven that the universe was created. It cannot be proven that God exists or ever existed. It can be proven that the holy books of the three major monotheistic religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam are full of baloney and shouldn't be taken literally. Bible history, in the main, is NOT true history. It is made up by scribes.

Ian

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The second law states that entropy always increases over time, entropy can by thought of roughly as complexity.

Absolutely not. The term Entropy, as used in thermodynamics, refers to the disorder in a system. Entropy always increases in a closed system. Entropy is not complexity but its opposite. Entropy is disorder. The higher the entropy, the lower the complexity. Unless acted upon from without Entropy always increases in a system. Presumably Entropy will wind down the universe at the end of time. There will be a temperature equilibrium in which maximum disorder has been achieved and no useful energy sources remain. Heat Death. No complexity will exist, unlike the Universe we currently observe. Energy dissipates until it reaches equilibrium.

I am a Computer Science major. And reading this makes me doubt that you are a Mechanical Engineer.

Burn

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I dont know if there is a God or not. I doubt there is a biblical God. To many things dont make sense in the bible. Sometimes I think there is no God and I end up being more miserable than when I think there is a higher power or universal force. Maybe I'm just talking to myself but I tend to be a bit more positive believing in a higher power. Something I learned from AA when I was recovering from being a Jehovahs witness.

Working in a jail, I am around a lot of misserable people, and many of them are detention officers. Many of them profess a belief in God and call out in prayer. I dont see any grand answers but I do see a coping mechanism.

I guess well all find out in the next one hundred years, some sooner, some latter. Every 100 years theres all new people.

On a positive note, just our being here is pretty miraculous hopefully its the begining of an incredible journey.

Another point, If there is a God and we are created or designed. It appears we are not smart enough to figure out the nature or means of our existence. Which isnt that difficult to believe. We are a little smarter than dogs. Were smart enough to come out of the rain. But we really dont know why were here.

If the above paragraph is true that would give some weight to the argument that we were created, designed and placed here to be some kiid of worker creature to cultivate the earth. Which leads me back to planet X nibiru.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle
    If such things existed the people would have left evidence, such as buildings, masses of pottery, inscriptions, etc. It's all nonsense! Nothing, not even a tiny fragment, has been found!!

I totally agree with you here Ian - I am a lil obsessed with Egyption archeology and for the life of me I can't remember this top Egyptologists name - anyway he pretty much said the same thing.

The bible was put together by Constantine the Great & a group of priests/paganists and the like??

jager.. I always thought you to be an atheist for some reason. Least your post clears that up.

Okay - my brain is taking strain - I even had to look up the word entrophy or whatever it was - "":S"" Read that first law and second law, and the third one - ja that's not helping me AT all - it doesn't make sense to me - I work in advertising just by the way - I only got street knowledge to my credit.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

If there is no God, there is no reason for me to be here any more and I will carry out to completion what I started before (a couple here know what I'm talking about). At present, I have what I would call experiential evidence for His existence, I don't believe I'm deluded. If that's what sees me through life and I get to the end and there is nothing, it won't matter.

Some might say I'm operating on Pascal's wager and I may be to an extent, except I don't base my 'need' to believe in God on what happens or doesn't happen after I die. I base it on the here and now.

Sorry, not thinking straight today

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    It doesn't matter to religionists that archaeology cannot find any evidence what so ever of a mass exodus out of Egypt or that Hewbrew slaves were even there or that there was a huge kingdom of David or that Joshua oversaw a powerful nation, etc. If such things existed the people would have left evidence, such as buildings, masses of pottery, inscriptions, etc. It's all nonsense! Nothing, not even a tiny fragment, has been found!!

Hi Dansk, I would tend to challenge that. I am not saying that there is an enormity of evidence, but evidence has been found.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The bible was put together by Constantine the Great & a group of priests/paganists and the like??

That is an oversimplification LouBelle. Here is some more information for you (its a good place to start):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_the_Christian_Biblical_canon

Christians functioned for several centuries without the authoritative list of books we call a "Bible".

Sincerely,

Burn

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Might as well just live your life any way you choose. No rules, no rights, no boundaries. What's the point?

Prophecor, I think we can live our life anyway we choose. But a main thing in doing so is to stay out of Jail.

When we break societies laws we end up in jail and they keep the lights on all night and you have to protect your booty whole.

As long as what you do doesnt hurt anyone else, that would be a good starting point in acceptable behavior.

But you might also want to be familiar with local laws. Most places prostitution doesnt hurt anyone else but you can end up in jail for engaging in it.

So staying out of jail is the rule, the law, and the boundary

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If there is no God, there is no reason for me to be here any more and I will carry out to completion what I started before (a couple here know what I'm talking about). At present, I have what I would call experiential evidence for His existence, I don't believe I'm deluded. If that's what sees me through life and I get to the end and there is nothing, it won't matter.

Some might say I'm operating on Pascal's wager and I may be to an extent, except I don't base my 'need' to believe in God on what happens or doesn't happen after I die. I base it on the here and now.

In my life I've gone through times when I've had faith, and I've gone through times when I've had very little to no faith.

I think I was happier when I've had faith, when a part of me was childlike.

Somehow I allowed myself to think so much that I've made myself miserable. And in my thinking I destroyed my faith.

It seems like faith is like a pair of elastic banded underwear, once you stretch the elastic band out it never comes back, Maybe thats what they mean about sinning against the holy spirit, Stretching the elastic band out of your faith. Then your lost.

Some of us can think enough to make ourselves miserable and some of us are blessed and spend our days watching television.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Don't be concerrned about God but of organized religions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit