What if God IS a farce?

by LouBelle 110 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

That would really rock my world as I know it. After I initially left the JWs' I did question the whole "is there a God"" especially when you look around and see all the atrocities - the sick sick things happening in your own back yard.Then I put it out of my mind and carried on believing in a God.

Right now I choose to believe in a God, whether that god be Jesus, Jehovah, Buddha, Allah, Shiva, it doesn't matter - I'm happy with the idea that there is a spiritual & powerful someone running things.However lately I've been questioning again - so many posters on here that are atheists really make good arguments & I can't reason my way out of it.

Why does god keep so quiet? Why not just let us know - tadaaaa I'm here. If he exists does he really have a hand in my life? Am I god, my own god?

I mean if you don't have god, what do you have?Yourself.If there is no god then all these bad things are the product of our own universal consciousness, which in essence means WE have created evil/good and in turn WE have accepted evil/good, therefore how can we judge that evil/good.

....Right now, like I said I choose to believe in god and until I truly know or feel that he really isn't there, I'll probably keep praying to him.

....aish so many error messages to get this posted.....a sign (kidding)

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

I would like to believe that there is a God who is looking out for us. Why does he remain silent? Who knows. Maybe that's the test, the doubt tests our loyalty. Or maybe belief in an afterlife is a evolutionary mechanism to keep us sane whilst breeding and nurturing the next generation. Who knows.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

I can't answer that question, although I think the probability of their being an intelligent god who answers your prayers, forgives your sins, rewards you when your good and punishes you when your bad is almost zero. That's not to say that there couldn't be some kind of god out there that started the universe and then stopped at that point and had no further involvement in how it developed.

However, I don't seriously consider the second option because then another question logically comes up, where did that intelligence come from? It must have evolved from a natural process at some point itself. I do believe something existed before the universe came into existence, there had to be some form of energy, however, that energy does not have to be intelligent. I can't give you any more details than that because no one really know any details yet, but many great scientists are working on it.

My personal opinion on that matter is, all complex things arise from simpler things, things get more complicated as time goes on. This is also known at the second law of thermodynamics, therefore, I believe whatever the answer is to how the universe started, it will very likely be elegant and simple in its nature.

I can say one thing for certain, every 'holy book' that is on the planet today has not been inspired by divine means. This is easily provable and really all you have to do is read these books and it is obvious that they come from human origins.

• prophecor
    prophecor

If there is no God, then all of the human suffering that exist here was for naught. If there was no creator, though we exist in a really crazy and crippled world, right now, then any amount of good or bad done in one's life is irrelevant and it doesn't matter whether you live or die tommorrow or 1,000 years from now. We are the most to be pittied if that is the case. Might as well just live your life any way you choose. No rules, no rights, no boundaries. What's the point?

As bad as things are, however, I know its always been bad for every generation that has come upon the planet before me. Bad things have gone on and existed from nearly the begining of time. Just because I would like to see a epochal change in the direction of the entire planet in my day and time, doesn't mean I need to see it. Gods' ways are surely higher than mines' and I must come to recognise that, every day of my life.

My timetable does not and never will revolve around him, but the other way around. As bad as I percieve things that have gone down in this life, Hitler, Sunami's, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Sadaam Hussein and September the 11, 2001, they still may require things getting a Hell of a lot worse, before God steps in to clear the planet of all the evil that has existed in the world, and does. These are strange days indeed, but only from our most limited of perspective.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    My personal opinion on that matter is, all complex things arise from simpler things, things get more complicated as time goes on. This is also known at the second law of thermodynamics, therefore, I believe whatever the answer is to how the universe started, it will very likely be elegant and simple in its nature.

You have a truly ghastly understanding of the Second Law. I recommend you look it up. It says nothing about increasing complexity or order. It says that disorder or chaos are what increase. Quite the opposite. Please inform yourself before you spew. You also assume that whatever intelligence cambe before the universe had to evolve or begin. Not so! Time began with the universe, hence anuthing that came before was not bound by time and therefore was eternal.

I will return to this thread later.

Burn

• LouBelle
    LouBelle
    Second Law

I have no Idea what this is, is there a first law?

I have the most simplistic view of evolution - a blob in the sea, mutated, became a fish, the fish jumped out of the water, and breathed, grew legs, then wings, then landed and got lil feets, and then walked, grew into a chimp..............

• Maddie
    Maddie

I have had and still do sometimes, the same thoughts and emotions as that you are having. None of it makes any sense to me if there isn't a God with a purpose for mankind. I know that in itself doesn't mean there has to be a God so for me its all about faith which is what Jesus said it would be anyway. The JW's think they have all the answers, got everything right and know everything there is to know about God. They put God in a box and I think that is why when we find out they haven't got the truth it is very difficult to just "walk by faith". Just my opinion but that's how I feel.

Maddie

• SickofLies
    SickofLies
    You have a truly ghastly understanding of the Second Law. I recommend you look it up. It says nothing about increasing complexity or order. It says that disorder or chaos are what increase.

Afraid not Burn, I have a degree in physics and my masters in Mechanical Engineering, I not only know the laws of thermodynamics, I use them in day to day work.

The second law states that entropy always increases over time, entropy can by thought of roughly as complexity. If you don't believe me then go to any book store and pick up a Coles notes on thermodynamics, if you want the page number that it gives that exact example I'd be happy to give it to you. I find it funny that you would assume to know more than me on this subject though, tell me, what is your educational background?

I have no Idea what this is, is there a first law?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

Because of the obvious design in the universe from the smallest to the largest I believe there was a creation. I believe there is no interference by the creator(s) in human affairs. All memory of humans could be erased in 5 or 6 billion years with the sun entering its next phase. (Of course, I could be wrong--humans may figure out true space travel (avoidance). That's a long time.) God could exist and change that. After all, isn't Andromeda due to pass thru the Milky Way long before that. That could change things. Whatever started this obviously is on a different time frame.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Louise,

First of all:

20-Dec-07 10:09 Dec 20, 2007 by LouBelle: Correct formatting
    20-Dec-07 10:10 Dec 20, 2007 by LouBelle: Correct formatting
    20-Dec-07 10:11 Dec 20, 2007 by LouBelle: Correct formatting
    20-Dec-07 10:12 Dec 20, 2007 by LouBelle: Correct formatting
    20-Dec-07 10:14 Dec 20, 2007 by LouBelle: Correct formatting
    20-Dec-07 10:16 Dec 20, 2007 by LouBelle: Correct formatting

Ha Ha Ha Ha. Don't ya just go nuts when that happens!!

OK, there are many here who believe in God no matter what. It doesn't matter that it can be proven that the Bible (for that's the religious book most religionists here turn to) is, for the most part, made up of fables and claptrap. No matter how much archaeology and science prove that the Bible stories are false people still cling to their faith - and faith is all it is - because they are fearful of displeasing God lest they suffer in the afterlife and/or they cannot accept that the 'I' dies with the body! They cannot accept that we do not have souls and that once our bodies die that's the permanant end of John, Joan, Fred, Bill, Sheila or whatever our names are.

Religionists will counter that science cannot disprove God exists. Well, of course it can't, because one can never prove the unprovable - but the onus, surely, must be on the believer to prove that God does exist! (I can see a long load of posts coming). As Dawkins says in his excellent book The God Delusion, we can say there is a 99% probability he doesn't exist. We can never say 100% because, as I said, one cannot prove the unprovable.

It doesn't matter to religionists that archaeology cannot find any evidence what so ever of a mass exodus out of Egypt or that Hewbrew slaves were even there or that there was a huge kingdom of David or that Joshua oversaw a powerful nation, etc. If such things existed the people would have left evidence, such as buildings, masses of pottery, inscriptions, etc. It's all nonsense! Nothing, not even a tiny fragment, has been found!!

So, does this mean our lives are for nothing? Well, that's the $64,000 question.

I have my own thoughts on that particular beauty - but let's make way for others to post. I have a feeling this thread is about to run for awhile

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit