WHO SURVIVED...."75"..?

by OUTLAW 58 Replies latest social relationships

• Dan B
    Dan B

I was 12 years old. Despite all the hype, my family didn't really do anything differently. It came and went with little notice.

"Had 6 rifles and a cache of food in the woods along with 3 brothers from the cong, intent- SURVIVE the big 75 Armaggedon conflagration,
    couldnt allow myself to be killed in the persecution because if I died and got resurrected...NO SEX (being as angels)
    Had to get through in one piece just so I could know the mystery of woman."

LOL!!

Dan

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

For some reason, I never really bought into the hype. Of course, I didn't tell anyone. 1975 was the year I got married....so I guess you could say that I was planning on a future. It wasn't long after that that my inactivity from the JWs began in earnest.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

I was approaching middle age then, went to KM school that year and was “lifted” by the experience at KM school. If only things were as perfect back home, in the real world, as they were during those two weeks.

Immediately following KM school my JW family began to fall apart, the congregation began to fall apart, the elders became vindictive and all seemed to be going in a steep downward spiral.

It, of course, actually turned out to be an upward spiral. Eventually, life started to become better. Freedom slowly immerged.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I was 19. I had nightmares for years. Our congregation (very small) made a big deal about it. Especially my mom. In '74, I was married. And still terrified. The whole year, I was a nervous wreck. A few years later, the nightmares disappeared. A few years after that, I started partying like it was 1999!!!

Still partying!

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

I was nine at the time.Our congregation was also very sure it was the end,and I too had nightmares for a long time after that.Young as I was,I can remember thinking then that I really didn't want to be a part of this...That feeling never went away.

We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I may not have been a witness,(then) but I am living proof that Worldy people survived 75. I'm still alive!

"I don't want someone in my life I can live with, I want someone in my life I can't live without."

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I survived. I was baptized on May 18, 1975 a few weeks before my 15th birthday. Loads were baptized that day, probably because the end was so near (within weeks or months not years).

I remember the jibes at school since plenty of kids had heard that JWs were going around preaching the end of the world in 1975. There was an interview with the branch overseer on the BBC that was aired around that time and he basically said that the end was coming in 1975 or nearabouts. Even the Wolverhampton footballer Peter Knowles? said in an interview that the world was ending by 1975.

I survived all the way through until 1995. I couldn't survive that generation stretch. I guess Rutherford had it right all along when he said, "millions now living will never die." The WTS won't let them die, that generation is still alive and it keeps going and going and going....

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Alfred
    Alfred

I was only 9 years old in '75 but I remember all the buzz at the assembly in '74 and thereafter... it lasted about a year or so and then no one dared bringing up the subject after that (since doing so would be considered sinning against the holy spirit)...

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Puts hand up - I was there! Came in around '65 at which point I was 9 years old...still remember the bros/sisters saying "The 70's are here" when January 1, 1970 rolled around...real build-up to '75 but like others have said, there was a bit of backpedalling when 1975 actually arrived.

In hindsight, I can't believe how all that expectation just fizzled and we carried on as if nothing had happened, more field service, do more/more/more before the end comes...same old same old...while others had sold all and moved to South America or wherever for the 'few short months remaining'....what a crock.

Then there was the nuuuu light that calculations could have been slightly off considering the interval of time between the creation of Adam and Eve's creation, so maybe they were out by a few years - difficult to tell just how long that interval was. Holy crap, why had no one ever bothered about that little detail before? Where was the spirit's direction? A day late and a dollar short; nevertheless, brothers, let us not sleep on as the rest do.....keep preaching brothers, the end is nigh....blah, blah, blah....

That seemed to pacify the sheeples for a few more years, then there was the '95 generation change; I even slept thru that one - finally woke up around the time we 'studied' the tacking in the wind analogy - even if we change direction from left to right and back to left, we are still going FORWARD - whaaaaaaa?

RANT OVER

• cantleave
    cantleave

I remember it even though I was just 9.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit