How I handled Child Abuse cases when I was an Elder (1996-2006)

by slmdf 89 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• horrible life
    horrible life

Vinny, what about a Dr.?

If it were my daughter, if it happened now, me being "out" for years, I would go to the Dr. first, and have to police meet me there.

If I was "in", I can't see, that my feelings would be any different. But sadly, I see now, how warped their minds are.

• oldflame
    oldflame

I disagree with this thing that it's not the elders fault. Bull hucky ! This is a conscience matter and how can any person in their right mind have a clear conscience when reporting this serious matter and not give clear evidence in order to prosecute slime bags as these who molest children !

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Oldflame - the elders do not have any consciences! They subcontract them to the organisation in the name of obedience and loyalty, under mind control. Yes there are consequences to their actions but they are not totally to blame. They are victims too.

Now the GB, that's a different ball game altogether.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Also, Restrangled - as far as training... we had none. No psychological training. No training to determine whether a child nor adult were telling the truth. The only training we got was supposedly how to tell if someone was repentant (keep in mind we weren't trained how to tell if they were lying... lol) and to call the legal department if child abuse allegations were made. That's the extent of the training. Good question. Elders are totally unqualified to handle this kind of thing.

Thanks for the answer. The WTS position on pretending that they and/or Elders are qualified to deal with these abuse cases, reminds of some lyrics from the Spin Doctors song .....you do your brain surgery with a monkey wrench

It must be a relief to no longer be part of the obvious charade.

R's Hubby

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

what I do not see in any of these posts is that the JWs are following what the BIBLE told them to do. which it basically did... the root of the problem seems to me is the bible itself. which not only creates this horror but many others.

• restrangled
    restrangled
    what I do not see in any of these posts is that the JWs are following what the BIBLE told them to do. which it basically did... the root of the problem seems to me is the bible itself. which not only creates this horror but many others.

Perverts create this particular horror and society has very clear guidelines to deal with it. There is no interpretation required. All citizens are ethically and morally bound to immediately turn information over to the proper authorities.

This is why the WTS assertion that they are in any way shape or form somehow morally superior to any other human beings is a complete and utter joke.

The WTS lack of conscience reflects the exact same antisocial behavior as the scum it protects.

R's Hubby

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Thank you for posting this. Very brave of you. I'm happy you're out, welcome to the freedom to think for yourself.

I think this thread may open a can of worms. Brace yourself for some harsh treatment.

I understand you did the best you could while still in. You played by the rules and thought you were keeping Jah's org clean. Before everyone here starts pointing fingers and judging. Remember we were all there at one time and did many things that we would never do now.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    the family/guardians were NOT to talk about it within the congregation. They were to go to the AUTHORITIES, not others.

In my congregation, there was an incidence between two children, one alot older than the other. Two families that were very close, so the boys were together alot. The parents of the victim went to the authorities, the little boy went to therapy, etc etc.

The victims parents let everyone know what happened. I remember being out in service and hearing about this in my car group. And how wrong they thought it was that these parents ruined things for the older boy for having any friends as noone would want him to be with their kid!!! How it should have been kept quiet!!!

Giving no consideration to the other small children this kid would be exposed to. His father was a MS.

It wound up being a huge mess in the congo.....The Elder grandfather was deleted, the victimized family moved away .......and the father of the abusing child gave out emblems at the next Memorial.

As the congregation changes, new ones moving in, old moving out, who knows what happens with new unsuspecting people.

purps

• slmdf
    slmdf

Mrs. Smith -

Thank you for your kind words. I'm most grateful.

I think this thread may open a can of worms. Brace yourself for some harsh treatment.

Well, honestly, if I get some harsh words, they are deserved. Anyone who follows WT teaching which puts little kids in harms way deserves harsh treatment. So, I can empathize with anyone who's frustrated. I am foremost among them. It was ME who was manipulated by the Org and I have to live with the decisions I made back then to support it. The thing I'm thankful for now is that I think for myself and know better. I can't change the past, but I can change today and tomorrow.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Thank you for posting this, it truly was brave to do so. What blows my mind personally about all of this is...how can anyone believe the bible is God's word when there is NO directive to protect children from pedophilia, so many other sins are talked about, homosexuality (which I don't believe is a sin, for one second), fornication (umm yeah, whatever), idolatry (that could apply to anything) yet no condemnation of men who lay with children, yup, men who lay with men, but hmm, "God's inspired word" says crapola about protecting children from pedophiles.

Some might say, well just because its not mentioned directly in the bible means nothing, well, sex was big enough of a deal to be mentioned, over and over, etc. Why not the most horrendous crime possible? The stealing of a child's innocence. What loving god would not make a provision for the protection of children and how it should be dealt with in his "holy word"? The two witness rule, the Society follows, based on biblical doctrine just shows, IMO, how much of a farce it is to suggest god authored the bible! What pedophile is going to abuse a child with someone else around to witness it?

It's no wonder religious organizations of christianity have serious issues about how to deal with pedophiles within their ranks, their bible gives them no direction on doing so. The way the WTS handles child abuse cases just confirms this fact, if "Jehovah" was the loving protector of his children, ya would think, logically, this stuff would be well covered in his "holy word". Yet...its not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit