How I handled Child Abuse cases when I was an Elder (1996-2006)

by slmdf 89 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Mary
    Mary
    Gumbers asked: I'd like to ask.....did elders usually give instructions to the witness parents of the victim such as NOT to mention this to anyone else? If so, where are these instructions found? Is it in a B.O.E. letter? If I'm not mistaken, you cannot find these instructions in the "Pay attention to the Flock" manuels. Are most elders familiar with the same guidlines as the ones you mentioned the service department gave you?

I'm under the distinct impression that the rules that elders are supposed to follow regarding this is not written down anywhere----it's all done word of mouth. That way, there's no incriminating evidence (or so the jackasses at Crooklyn thought). This more or less all came out in the open with Bill Bowen taped his phone conversation with the Legal Department when he was told to "just walk away" if the brother denied being a pedophile and to "leave it in Jehovah's hands".

Their whole method of dealing with this problem is really absurd. Neither the elders, or the Legal Department, or the Governing Body have any training whatsoever in Psychology, Sociology, Social Work or Early Childhood Education that would have trained them to deal with this shit. Instead, you've got a group of bullies (the GB), who, having never had children and with no education or experience in the field, protecting pedophiles, glossing over the whole thing, silencing victims and disfellowshipping anyone brave enough to speak out on the matter. And now, finally, they've paid the price: public exposure and lawsuits that they couldn't beat.

Looks good on them.

• flipper
    flipper

What Mary said ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• gumby
    gumby
    What Mary said ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Ok Mr. Flipper, you can quit now in your using your passive sexual aggression towards Mary by using flirtatious and non-christian verbal behaviour by agreeing with everything she said, knowing full well she'll succumb to your sny evil ways of passifying her! May you rot in hell you bastard!!!!

Ok, now that that was said, I still a little disappointed that there haven't been more personal experiences from here. Who wants to call the society and and ask them if all this is true and see what they say. I gotta go pee now or I would....so who wants to do it and post back and tell us what they say.Seriously, I would, but I don't want it showing up on my phone bill somewhere with me wife bein a dub still.

Gumkindachickentoanyway

• mouthy
    mouthy

I agree with Mary also... But Gumby stop interjecting in a "love affair"

• M.J.
    M.J.

Hi,
    I still just don't get how anonymous reporting would satisfy the legally mandated reporting rule. In such a case you couldn't prove you complied with the law and thus in theory could still be prosecuted for non-compliance. I suppose they figured they could get away with it as long as no one went after them.

Thanks for posting that.

• slmdf
    slmdf

Ya'll are right on.

And, as Flipper said... RIGHT ON, MARY!!!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Slmdf, thanks for corroborating what I've heard in regards to the child abuse policy.

I hope the Borg suffers greatly until they learn to stop protecting their own asses before they protect the children.

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    slmdf said: Also, ANY elder who has dealth with child abuse cases in the recent years should be able to verify exactly the instructions from legal I've shared here. It might be "watchtowerized" a bit, but the basics will be the same. I have no doubt.

I can confirm what slmdf has said about the specific directions the Legal Department provides... and I have said something about it before (see the link below), and even gave to all of you the phone number we're told to write in our books, and the screening procedure that occurs... so one COULD 'fake' a call to Legal, record it, and there you'd have your proof:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/140128/2509576/post.ashx#2509576

I can't wait to hear somebody's good recording on YouTube!

• gumby
    gumby

I'd like to know how the society would address these issues if you were to call them right now.

Someone said that with all the litigation they are now that the society would say the issues mentioned on this thread were untrue....such as publishers/elders being directed to use a pay phone when reporting a molestation in a state demanding that you report, and putting a gag order on the victim to not give out ANY information other than the name of the accused.

Like I said, does anyone want to call? I'd be interested in seeing what they say.

*waits for someone to say..."why don't you call them yourself Gumby"*

Gumby

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Howdy Mr. Gumby! Good to see you again.

I'd like to ask.....did elders usually give instructions to the witness parents of the victim such as NOT to mention this to anyone else? If so, where are these instructions found? Is it in a B.O.E. letter? If I'm not mistaken, you cannot find these instructions in the "Pay attention to the Flock" manuels. Are most elders familiar with the same guidlines as the ones you mentioned the service department gave you?

The circuit overseer for the White Rock congregation, Frank Nicholson, (Texas Circuit No. 13 at the time), in 1989 sat in my living room and told me verbally that if I did not "shut up" he would see to it personally that I was disfellowshipped. I had been talking for a couple of years about my parents, who at that point had not denied it. I had committed no offense. He just wanted quiet.

At that exact same time period, in that same congregation, there was an elder's daughter who was being molested by her uncle. No report was ever filed. Those elders had told me that I was the only JW they had ever heard of who had been abused.

Nina's father told me once that those sorts of instructions were given verbally at KM School. At the time it was mandatory to call Brooklyn first and follow whatever verbal orders were given.

Be well,

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit