How I handled Child Abuse cases when I was an Elder (1996-2006)

by slmdf 89 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• horrible life
    horrible life
    3.) the family/guardian has every right to go to authorities with no repurcussion.

Don't they say something like this, about blood transfusions?

• slmdf
    slmdf

Almost -

>>3.) the family/guardian has every right to go to authorities with no repurcussion.

Did you get the impression that this was the intent of the "don't discourage" comment, or are we inferring bad intent where none exists?

Well, my honest opinion is that it depends on the elder making the statement. Some would say it with the inferrence that it's preferred that they don't go to the authorities until it's handled by the congregation first. Some would even share scriptures about slander and/or the two witness rule. That would cause some to think that they may be doing something wrong spiritually if they inform authorities based on an accusation.

However, I also knew many an elder (including me) who would say exactly what I wrote above in #3. I would then further explain that this meant they have every right to go to authorities and the elders, the congregation... anyone who happened to know about what was going on would not think any less of them. No matter what their decision, we would be supportive of them and continue to deeply care for them. In other words, we stand by them whatever they choose to do. The only caviat I would mention is that I couldn't make a recommendation as an elder either way as to whether to tell authorities or not. But, again, whatever their decision, we would support them.

I could tell that sometimes my lengthy 'rant' about how they could go to the authorities would make other elders nervous and uncomfortable, but they didn't typically say anything in front of the person.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more if you have more questions.

• restrangled
    restrangled
    Feel free to ask more if you have more questions.

What professional training or certification did you have for investigating abuse? Did all JW elders receive the same professional training and certification for investigating abuse? Was this professional training and certification equivilent to the training required for law enforcement officials and public civil servants who conduct these sort of investigations?

What did you feel was your ethical and moral obligation to society as a whole? Were you concerned only about how these situations affected those within WTS or did you recognize your ethical responsibility to society as a whole and the innocent victims that could result as a consequence of not reporting these incidents to the proper authorities?

Thanks in advance for your response!

R's Hubby (never was a JW, which explains the nature of the questions)

• flipper
    flipper

SLMDF- I have a straightforward question that I asked a local presiding overseer who came to my door this summer witnessing with his wife. I asked him, " Has the society informed your rank and file publishers of the molestation settlements , or have you had a directive to do so by way of announcement at your meetings ? " Stupid question, I know . His brilliant answer, " Not to my knowledge. " But do you think now with the news being national , will they address this in the local congregations as a PR controlling move towards the rank and file members ? Your thoughts please, as you are a more recent exiting elder who maybe knows more current information ? Thanks, and peace to you, and welcome ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• slmdf
    slmdf

Restrangled -

You ask some poignant questions. Ones which, I'm embarrased to say, I can not give a reasonable explaination for. Bottom line is this: When your a JW to the core, the only true authority you acknowledge is that of the Watchtower organization. It pretty much sums up the core of why so many are leaving. It's not about God or being Christian. It's about an organization. It's serving THEM, in the name of God.

It's why I left. Prior to coming out, I didn't think about any moral obligation to God, myself or society. My moral obligation was dictated to me by the organization. Now that I'm out, frankly, it turns my stomach to even type those words. It demonstrates clearly the control they have. It's just not right.

• Vinny
    Vinny

"3.) the family/guardian has every right to go to authorities with no repurcussion."

• slmdf
    slmdf

Vinny -

I know many have had reprucussions because of going to the authorities. That's typically been in situations where the elders don't believe that the "brother" did it and it can be kind of a "protect your own" type of thing. (it's not right) But as far as I know, the family/guardians were NOT to talk about it within the congregation. They were to go to the AUTHORITIES, not others. Many times, out of good conscience, that's what families did - to protect children. It's then that the family of victims get in trouble. Elders hop on that stuff like stink on poop!

So, your question leads to a prominent point: Yeah, so maybe the official policy is to let the family go to the authorities... but I've NEVER seen it allowed that the family say things to other families within the congregation. This makes it easy for a pedophile to continue to prey on other unsuspecting families children. Very sad. So really the WT is NOT protecting the children. (like we didn't know that!)

Thanks for the post/question.

• Vinny
    Vinny

If my son our daughter claimed some brother abused them, I would definitely sit them down, discuss what exactly happened and be able to get to the bottom of whether such allegations were true in my own mind.

If I were convinced that this person molested my child, I would go to that person first, the elders second and the authorities third. Though I say this after being out for almost two years. If I was still IN, and especially still an elder, I may very well keep it in-house to protect Jehovah's and the congregations reputation... and sadly this is what happens today. Such a mindset is what happens, IMO, when one fully believes that God has chosen the WT Society exclusively. As most JW's believe because this is what they hear again and again at meetings, literature, experiences, conventions etc.

If the elder body determined there was no case due to the lack of a second witness, and yet I was certain that my child was telling the truth, I would definitely tell other families about what happened to warn them.

How could you not?

• slmdf
    slmdf

Flipper - I am SO sorry.... we must have posted at the same time and I didn't see your post. My apologies.

Flipper, you asked a great question. I haven't heard, and I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the elders may have been sent a note forewarning them about this. But, if not, they may be getting one soon. Often, when a major news item may cause a stir in local press, the Elders are forewarned so they may give direction to publishers. Not sure this was a big enough of a splash to warrant a branch-wide letter. But, I'm sure they've been given reminders by CO's and such. I would think if anything had been announced at the Service Meeting, we would have heard about it. Does that answer the question? Peace to you too, bro.

Also, Restrangled - as far as training... we had none. No psychological training. No training to determine whether a child nor adult were telling the truth. The only training we got was supposedly how to tell if someone was repentant (keep in mind we weren't trained how to tell if they were lying... lol) and to call the legal department if child abuse allegations were made. That's the extent of the training. Good question. Elders are totally unqualified to handle this kind of thing.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I feel sad. I really do. To send elders into this dogma was like Australian soldiers into an un-winnable fight in Gallipole. Elders are now liable for decisions made by the legal dept. I feel very sad for their exposure

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit