Sharpton and Jackson at it again - Jenna 6 - bidness as usual

by BizzyBee 77 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

For what it's worth I can tell when I'm speaking to a black person on the phone too (it's not just a skill that white folks have) but white folks can't tell that they are speaking to a black person when I'm on the phone...go figure

As for at the "N" word issue...no comment, this black person is done speaking about it here.

Josie

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

no comment....

anything that would spurt out of my mouth (pro or con) could be construed as racist

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I didn't know that the Jena 6 were casual and career crimminals...I thought they were high school students.

They are high school students, 5 of whom who were charged as juveniles with attempted 2nd degree murder.The one charged and convicted as an adult and awaiting sentencing, Mychal Bell, had been previously convicted of four violent crimes.

A casual criminal is one who responds impulsively to external conditions, accidental circumstances, sudden temptations or bad influences and has no previous record of serious crime - as opposed to an habitual (or career) criminal who has a record of previous serious crime(s).

I have a sinking feeling that you may be equating their blackness with thugness.

That's quite a leap of logic, Mrs. J and an incorrect one. What did I say that brought you to that conclusion?

• yknot
    yknot

let me amend my previous post

I think all the boys involved and friends of the beaten boy should attend group therapy. As for the young man with 4 previous violent crimes I think a psych evaluation would be good by a child psychologist. But again is sending him away going to effect the greater good. I am not sure as I am unaware of the extent of his crimes. There seems to be problems in this community that have encouraged bad behavior. I would much rather all come out with more sense of brotherhood, to lead upstanding lives, and to pay back society and the court system by attending college, getting a great job, paying taxes, and visiting schools to tell their story. These are boys and they can all still be saved with compassion, and maybe some group community service for the next year. United they can stand, divided they have already fallen.

• yknot
    yknot

let me amend my previous post

I think all the boys involved and friends of the beaten boy should attend group therapy. As for the young man with 4 previous violent crimes I think a psych evaluation would be good by a child psychologist. But again is sending him away going to effect the greater good. I am not sure as I am unaware of the extent of his crimes. There seems to be problems in this community that have encouraged bad behavior. I would much rather all come out with more sense of brotherhood, to lead upstanding lives, and to pay back society and the court system by attending college, getting a great job, paying taxes, and visiting schools to tell their story. These are boys and they can all still be saved with compassion, and maybe some group community service for the next year. United they can stand, divided they have already fallen.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    If only they had teamed up to encourage and facilitate education and job opportunities for their constituents as vigorously as they have advocated on behalf of casual and career criminals - we'd have a better outcome for all concerned.

That sentence right there...from what I last heard 5 have been charge and one have been sentenced but it was overturned...and yeah I still stand by the thug statement but IMHO all of the boys black and white were displaying thugishness (for want of a better word) but only difference is none of the whites got charged for whatever they did (beating up a black youth, hanging those nooses (can you say hate crime?) but what do I know...I'm only the mother of 3 young black boys that I'm trying to raise right.

Josie

• lola28
    lola28
    Nooses being hung is unacceptable, meanspirited, and wrong. Expulsion would have been appropriate.

I'm not sure but could this be considered a hate crime?

When are we going to learn to treat each other with respect and kindness?

when?

Lola

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    If only they had teamed up to encourage and facilitate education and job opportunities for their constituents as vigorously as they have advocated on behalf of casual and career criminals - we'd have a better outcome for all concerned.

That sentence right there...from what I last heard 5 have been charge and one have been sentenced but it was overturned...and yeah I still stand by the thug statement What are the names of the casual and career criminals you are referring to?

Josie,

I still don't see how that statement leads you to believe that I equate being black with being a thug....?

Perhaps I should clarify: I am talking about Sharpton's and Jackson's history of involvement in criminal justice issues,not just the Jena 6 case.

Crystal

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Then maybe you need to focus...do you have a problem with them being there (understand they're not my first choice or even my last but at least they went) or the Jena 6 issue? My focus is the Jena 6 issue. I don't care about Jackson and Sharpton beside they weren't the only ones at the march or speaking out about this.

I think Jackson's and Sharpton's role in all this was to bring more media attention to this whole mess. There was some hype about it and black media,blogs, and students were keeping it alive but J and S gave it that added kick.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I have little respect for Jesse Jackson. In my opinion he's as big a racist as anyone. I have great respect for Martin Luther King Jr. Also, while I despise Jesse Jackson, I nonetheless recognize the problems in Jena. Too bad that Jackson is involved as he's a hindrance rather than a positive force for change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit