Sharpton and Jackson at it again - Jenna 6 - bidness as usual

by BizzyBee 77 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

You stole my comment Mary......

I feel that Sharpton and Jackson are attention whores. They do Blacks more of a disfavor with their controversy. My wife has often stated that if they were the only ones left to represent the black community, then she is having her birth certificate changed. I'm not black so my comments may be misconstrued as racist, although I'm obviously not.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I have refrained from responding on this subject but can no longer hold back.

I grew up in the Southwest side of Chicago, and went to a highschool that bussed in the poorest of black kids.

They were from the community of Robbins. There was terrible racial tension, and we had cops in the hallways. There were several race riots, and the tension was fierce on a daily basis.

Stringing up nooses in this day and age is outrageous and provacative behaivor.....it would have been worse back in the 70's.

If someone was beaten to a pulp because of it, they had it coming. I have no sympathy for the perpetraitors of this act, ......take the consequences.

Thats the way things use to work.

Restrangled, (White, blond haired female)

• Makena1
    Makena1

Whether you agree with Sharpton or Jackson's methods, the real "lost opportunity" was the way the local DA handled the situation. He could have condemned the noose incident soundly instead of labeling it as a "meer prank". The tree should have been cut down immediately. Soooooooo much wrong on so many levels - on both sides. Holding some town meetings, open up some dialogue to try and bring the community together could very well have squelched further tension and violence. Sharpton and Jackson - did what they do best, but you could also say that the way those in a position of power in Jena was ALSO BIDNESS AS USUAL. Racial injustice needs to be stopped everywhere. Bringing in the media to cover protests and marches for equality is a good start IMO!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    What are the names of the casual and career criminals you are referring to?

Murderers: Gary Graham, Stanley "Tookie" Williams.

Tawana Brawley. I can research more, but you get my point, I'm sure.

What makes you think they haven't encouraged and facilitated education and job opportunities for 'their constituents'?

I didn't say that, did I? Read it again.

Why do you label these two men 'opportunists'?

Oh, my. Do you read books, newspapers? Watch TV? Conversely, can you tell me what their accomplishments have been?

Have you ever lived in the South?

No. Why?

Do you know the history of what happened here in the 1950's and 60's?

Narrow it down a bit and I probably do. I don't know where 'here' is....?

Do feel that justice should transcend racial, language, economic and social barriers?

Yes, I do. However, justice may include allowing for those factors. For example, justice for a sane murderer might not be justice for one ruled mentally incapacitated.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Sharpton and Jackson are a Disgrace to any race of people.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I especially can't stand people who use Religion to make themselves appear Holy. I worked for a Law firm when I was still in high school and hand an opportunity to speak with Jessie Jackson. He emphasized the title "REVERAND" when he introduced himself. I always called him "MR. Jackson" Even then, I knew he was a fake.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    As for the statement about "liking Martin Luther King", if Martin Luther King showed up at the march, you'd consider him the same as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

You're reading a lot into one statement. I'm sorry you feel that way. MLK was more about leading in a positive direction than Jesse Jackson. The problem with Jackson, at least from my perspective, is that he turns some things into race issues that aren't. That demeans the true problems and sets the entire movement back. There is a reason why people celebrate MLK jr. day, read his speeches, and remember the efforts he made in a positive manner, and Jesse Jackson is the butt of jokes.

• hambeak
    hambeak

Come on folks as former dubs racism is out of the question lol.

But I think Al and Jesse love the attention and the MONEY.

The prosecutor in Jena is going too far.

Just my 2 cents.

• John Doe
    John Doe

What a man! Few speeches move me as much as this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEMXaTktUfA

• ronin1
    ronin1

One of the complaints of the white community in Jena regarding this incident is that they wanted to be left alone, to handle the problem themselves without outside interferrerence.

Well, if they had handled it properly, without prejudice, none of this would have escalated to fights, etc.

That is why Sharpton, Jackson, NAACP, many blacks from other communities, and finally the media have stepped in to bring this problem out in the open and show the country and the world that prejudices of this kind, that should long be gone, is still prevalent in this country.

Jena, like so many other deep south, prejudicial states needs to change. The DA and Judge should be disciplined for their prejudical actions in this case, and the original attorney for Michael Bell should be disbarred for not calling in witnesses in defense.

Anytime there is an all-white jury over a black person in the deep south, 95% of the time that black person is going to be found guilty.

Ronin1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit