What "Unwritten Rules" Did Your Congregation Have?

by minimus 73 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Mad Tiger, you get the point of these threads! Anyone----including "lurkers" can see that making rules is dumb. Plain and simple.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Not only couldn't two single people dance together..

When I finally decided to be social after my wife left me and took our young son, it was a roller skating party. I was uncomfortable but it was good for me to be among people (even if they were dubs).

When the roller barn dimmed the lights for a couples skate a friend of mine (elder's daughter, more like a sister to me than anything)offered her hand and pretty much pulled me on to the floor to skate. We hadn't even rolled one full lap before 1.) some elder's wives glared at us 2.) my MS "friend" made some snarky remark and 3.) an elder pointed at our loosely held hands and shook his head with great disapproval.

Her act of kindness was undone by those @sshats who put rules and appearances before people. They took away that little spark of feeling like a normal guy again and it was years before I found it.

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

A rule I will never forget from the congregation I atteneded for one year only (couldn't take it any logner):

-No just married sign hanging from your car on your wedding day. Even if you're not planning on hiring a 'showy' limo, and even if a couple of young kids in the Hall made the sign for you because they wanted to participate in the excitement of a wedding.

• minimus
    minimus

They tried to enforce a rule that a parent MUST accompany their child in order to go to the bathroom.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

In the cong. I was in while dating my future ex-wife the rule was 6 months of dating, no more, no less, until you were engaged. Then it was 6 months of engagment (again no more or less) until you married.

Also the no sitting next to you girlfriend until you were engaged. I had a sister come and ask me if we were engaged because we dared to sit by each other. The elders took us back the next meeting and told us that it was a sign of being engaged. WTF is the engagment ring for then? Idiots

~LL06

• rebel8
    rebel8

Major unwritten rule: Things that the litter-ature says are "conscience matters" are not really so. What that means is only "weak" people do those things. "Conscience matters" are rules, and you better follow them or you will are bloodguilty for stumbling others, therefore marked for death.

We had "special needs talks" about choosing to do things the litter-ature says are "conscience matters" because the *only* reason someone would choose to do them would be because they are loose and spiritually weak.

This was during the time when blood fractions (a "conscience matter") were being refused on my behalf, almost causing my death many times.

Another major unwritten rule: Having fashionable, modest clothing or a new car is a sign of weakness. Taking good care of your material possessions is a sign of materialism.

• erandir
    erandir

I remember one CO who came up with a ban on spiked hair in our congregation. And the unwritten rule was for any brother with any kind of responsibility at the hall should wear "appropriate" dress and hairstyles. If there were any questions as to what was appropriate, look at the examples in the pictures found in the watchtower and awake.

• erandir
    erandir
    If there were any questions as to what was appropriate, look at the examples in the pictures found in the watchtower and awake.

I wanted to dress up like one of the old testament characters in a study article, beard, robe and all, just to be able to say I'm dressing like the brothers in the pictures.

• logic
    logic

The elders and ms get thier example from the society.

About the 2 door inmature and 4 door being mature and getting a van very mature. The newer and bigger and fancier the more popular you will be. Don't want to use your own car and save expenses then get an old ugly car. If you have a real expensive sports car, it won't make any difference how many doors you have , somebody will try to go out with you , even if they have to leave their family behind.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Outaservice:

Some years back when I needed another car, some stupid sister mentioned that I should get something that would be 'convenient' for the friends and field service, etc. I was appalled and I told her I would be glad to oblige if the congregation would be willing to give me money towards the new car. Otherwise, nobody has any business giving any unwanted advice as to what kind of car I drive.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit