What "Unwritten Rules" Did Your Congregation Have?

by minimus 73 Replies latest jw friends

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

You could only go on the platform or do mic's if you had a matching suite, no blazer and trouser combos. White socks were frowned upon.

• oompa
    oompa
    They tried to enforce a rule that a parent MUST accompany their child in order to go to the bathroom.

That actually is a dang good idea after all those who have suffered mainly at the hand of elder/ms creeps. But not just that, there are really young creeps out there and I mean 8 years old and up that do some really scary $hit. Not just sex stuff, my poor 4 year old son was somehow tricked into kissing a toilet seat by another kid at the friggin hall! Stop laughing now. I did not find it funny and the time and am pretty sure it damaged him as his is now a REGULAR PIONEER! shoot me please.....oompa

• wednesday
    wednesday

The dancing and party thing is probably a local thing. My hubby grew up in upper USA, and they were much more liberal about dancing, singing and parties in general than the very repressed south. the south was abut 20 yrs behind most of USA and goodness knows how far behind the west coast.

Major unwritten rule: Things that the litter-ature says are "conscience matters" are not really so. What that means is only "weak" people do those things. "Conscience matters" are rules, and you better follow them or you will are bloodguilty for stumbling others, therefore marked for death.

yes rebel, I have said this so many times, that REAL JWS knew that the conscience matters were legal cya for the weak and litigious ones.

• Hermano
    Hermano
    It was an unwritten rule that if you had a two door car you were not very mature. You had to have a four door, so as to be a convenient vehicle for the door to door work.

Outaservice we must have gone to the same Hall.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

As far as two-door cars go, I had never heard of any big thing being made about that, until I started reading this Discussion Board.
    Also, early on,the congregation did have a bit of a thing about coloured shirts:
    - until the Circuit Servant (as he was then known as) turned up wearing one.
    Hey Presto - End of the Matter!

The wearing of suit coats, though, was something else again.
    It did not matter how high the temperatures were, while out in service, the elders insisted that you had to keep your jacket on.
    All that achieved was to give members of the public even more reason to believe that JWs were all nutcases!

Jack.

• 4digitcode
    4digitcode

in italy--no black shirts for the brothers....;reminds people of fascism ( some elder's idiosyncrasy even though he was NOT italian)

in new york:
    Afros were discouraged as it reflected the whole 'going natural trend' of a few years back...

an african brother was refused to do his part for the school because he hadn't worn western clothing.

can't think of any other.they just became so normal to you that it's hard to remember what were written and what were unwritten rules!!

• JH
    JH

No 2 door cars !

• Hermano
    Hermano

Males could not wear chains.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Our circuit had the white shirt rule--about 30 years ago. The CO made it clear that no brother would be appointed a servant unless they wore white shirts. One circuit assembly Clyde was walking down the corridor, he'd just finished a cleaning assignment, and was wearing a blue shirt. An elder approached him and said, "White shirt and tie, brother." Clyde wasn't the only one who was harrassed because of the white shirt rule. It became the talk of the assembly. Then came the public talk on Sunday, and guess what? The district overseer was wearing a green shirt and it wasn't even light green!!! That was the end of the matter.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Our circuit had the white shirt rule--about 30 years ago. The CO made it clear that no brother would be appointed a servant unless they wore white shirts. One circuit assembly Clyde was walking down the corridor, he'd just finished a cleaning assignment, and was wearing a blue shirt. An elder approached him and said, "White shirt and tie, brother." Clyde wasn't the only one who was harrassed because of the white shirt rule. It became the talk of the assembly. Then came the public talk on Sunday, and guess what? The district overseer was wearing a green shirt and it wasn't even light green!!! That was the end of the matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit