What "Unwritten Rules" Did Your Congregation Have?

by minimus 73 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

As a Ministerial Servant I went from being the Sound Servant, to the Magazine Servant, to the Literature Servant. I got called into the backroom once by the elders because, as the Literature Servant, I should be placing more books than magazines. I was commended on all other areas of field service.

So, I guess the Sound Servant has to answer the most at the meetings. The Magazine Servant has to place the most magazines. The Accounts Servant has to donate the most money. The Territory Servant has to work the most terroritories.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Two door car indicates you're not putting the kingdom first

No sleeveless blouses, if so, shoulder caps must be covered

No red nail polish

No ankle bracelets

Nylons are a must

No open toed shoes

No ethnic hairstyles for pioneers

No short, pixie hairstyles as it indicates a woman asserting masculinity

Backroom seats on right for Df'd

Backroom seats on the left for families with rowdy kids

Pioneers should have minimum literature order of 40 mags a month

If you're a pioneer working full time, you were not as faithful as those that worked part time. You could be doing more for the kingdom.

Sitting together at meetings meant you were dating

Working in service together meant you were dating

If you are really dark skinned, you could not dye your hair a light color. Too much attention.

If you are shapely, you can only wear a potato sack so as not to have other sister's husbands fantasize about you

A female JW cannot comment after a male JW.

• TheWanderer
    TheWanderer

While I'm sure the level of expectation for appearance was more detailed for the women than for us males, I didn't really hear much in the way of 'rules' for appearance, just that there was a certain sense of the style - JW Fashion, as it were, heh. I vaguely recall mention when Miami Vice became popular about not wearing those stylish sport coats with the sleeves pushed up in a circuit assembly once, but that was about it. Personally, I wore colorful stuff on occasion without getting too much flak, but that may come from the southern California environment, I don't know.

Although I'll agree to the 'no beards' bit, not even a goatee. Moustache only or clean shaven, even long sideburns could be on the 'worldly' side of appearances.

(Granted, my experiences end about 20 years ago, so I'm very much behind the times, lol)

• minimus
    minimus

( I still love these types of threads).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit