Do you expect the man in the marriage to be strong.

by free2beme 79 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

My mother-in-law had surgery recently and when ever she does go through medical issues, it brings up something I wonder about. You see, I think the man or husband, in the relationship needs to be strong at those moments. To be the person who people can look to for updated information, perhaps to be the pillar of strength to keep everyone calm in a rough situation and so on. That would make sense, right? Especially if that man was a Witness and bought in to that who, "leadership" and "head of the household," role. Well let me explain my father-in-law in this role.

My father-in-law was born without the mental back bone you would expect from a man. In fact, his is so empty that it sucks in like a void anything that might remotely replace it. Instead, he is a scared worthless fool in any situation. We show up at the hospital to be supportive of the family and walk in to the waiting room to a man who is shaking and rocking back and forth in a chair. He is a heavy set man and I could actually see the flesh quivering. We ask him, "Is everything okay?" Thinking such an appearance would indicate that bad news has arrived while we were gone. He does not speak anything we can make out, more of some nonsense noise and then clears his head enough to say, "Everything is fine."

Well we sit there watching this man do this for awhile and getting all sorts of attention from his behavior, instead of a good slap to reality and told to straighten up. An elder sits with him and tells him things will be okay and we then ask him if he would like something to eat. After all, he had not eaten sense the day before. His response, "If my wife can not eat, I will not eat." We explain, "Your wife can not eat, as she is in surgery. You're not! She would not want you to suffer, she would want you to remain healthy." We give him a sandwich and he fakes gagging on it as he takes small bites. By this point, I am about to volunteer punching this man get him to stop acting this way as it is stressing his family out and these people are here out of concern for his wife and not this display.

Finally a couple hours go by and he is now pacing like an idiot in the hallway and not talking to anyone, while the rest of us are carrying on conversations and messing around with our laptops. His children are fed up and sick of the stupid behavior and have found all attempts to help him, to be a waste of time and insane. Soon the doctor comes out and sees him all stressed and tells him his wife is fine and he should be able to see her in about thirty minutes. He then walks to us, and apologizes and thinks he must have said something to him wrong to make him so concerned on an operation he knew was going to be okay. We explain he did nothing wrong and he leaves.

So you might wonder, "Is he always like this?" Oh yeah, if his wife has a cold, he will not eat until she is healthy. If his wife hurts herself, he will blame himself for what happened ... even when he was not there. He is not a pillar of strength, he is a pit of quick sand that sucks the life of hope from a room. I have never seen anyone this bad in my life, except for this man. I wonder though, am I wrong in thinking that the man in the marriage or relationship should be strong? I just can not help being ultra irritated at this man, every time sickness with his wife comes up. He makes it so much worse then it is.

• journey-on
    journey-on

My dad was the tower of strength in everything. As a child, you felt safe and protected in his presence. He was the kind of man that could take the bull by the horns and get it done......except when it came to my mother. He turned to jelly. Anything to do with her health was traumatic for him. He would imagine the worst. He couldn't function, much less be her tower of strength. She was his life. There was none above her, not even Jehovah.

At her sickest points in life, it was difficult for him to even go to the hospital. So, I understand what you are saying. But, I don't understand this extreme obsessiveness. It's a good thing my mother had us kids to encourage her because my dad was useless during those times.

• Gayle
    Gayle

In marriage, it takes two mature happy strong people to make a good marriage,,maybe at times they may have to take turns a bit but for the most part it takes both most of the time.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

free2beme I hope your Mother is recovering well and will soon be good as new. I feel the stress of all you and your family went through with the surgery and all.

So you might wonder, "Is he always like this?" Oh yeah, if his wife has a cold, he will not eat until she is healthy. If his wife hurts herself, he will blame himself for what happened ... even when he was not there. He is not a pillar of strength, he is a pit of quick sand that sucks the life of hope from a room. I have never seen anyone this bad in my life, except for this man. I wonder though, am I wrong in thinking that the man in the marriage or relationship should be strong? I just can not help being ultra irritated at this man, every time sickness with his wife comes up. He makes it so much worse then it is.

In our society the man is usually looked upon as being the strength of the family, the provider, the fixer ect...that is just normally the way men or shall I say males are hardwired to be. If you're lucky you'll find a man who will swim through shark infested waters to bring you a lemonade as Dr. Laura would say. Strong <grunt,grunt> cave men types, yeah we women love 'em like that!

That said and on that premise not all of life or people are "normal". When I read the description of your step father I immediately got the sense that he was not normal in the sense of what you would expect of a man or a woman for that matter. I learned a long time ago (the hard way ) that when things or people are out of whack it's less about them then some kind of previous damage that has or had been done to them long ago, nothing which you or I or most any therapist could get them over, damaged goods so to speak.

I have also learned to cut people like that some slack to not do so is like making fun of a retarded person. You have to realize in some way their psyche has been damaged or stunted, retarded. He is being just who he is and if it's not enough for you think of this; it is enough for your Mother she chose him and has stood by him for how long? Do you hear her complain? Well maybe so, but don't listen! LOL

Maybe seeing him in this new perspective will help you deal with him and his peculiarities, I hope so.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

LOL I can't seem to edit my post but I meant to say M-I-L instead of Mother.

• free2beme
    free2beme

My father-in-law would be more balanced if he only acted this way when his wife was sick or injured. The problem is, he is like this in all aspects of life that stress him out. He really has failed a lot in life, where he could have succeeded, had he been stronger. He is just a very weak man.

• journey-on
    journey-on

free2beme

Do you know anything about his childhood or early adolescence? Maybe he is just weak, but maybe there are some things that happened to him in his early life that you are not aware of.

• free2beme
    free2beme

His mother is still alive, and just as frustrated. She claims he has been life this since birth, like he was born to be weak. She has gotten used to it, after 57 years. Me, not so much. I would, if I were him, be striving to fix it.

• ninja
    ninja

yep....I'm the strong one in our relationship....if you dont believe me.....smell my armpits

• Satanus
    Satanus

To be honest, he would get on my nerves too, but, what can ya do? The guy is obviously a wimp, will always be a wimp.

This is why the wt pronouncements of what the roles of the husband, the wife, the female kids, the male kids, the cat, the dog, the mouse (mice) is hogwash. Why can't people be seen as individuals? Each marriage/relationship is different. Many cannot be fitted into wt or even archaic societal moulds.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit