Man gets charged for lemonade he made at a resturant!

by Dragonlady76 86 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well it's a dog eat dog world out there, and I wouldnt be surprised that this particular restaurant while getting offended at the guy with the lemonade, probably wouldnt think twice to force their employees to work off the clock or maybe pay the illegal help in the kitchen 1/2 of what they pay everyone else.

I say if its good for the goose then its good for the gander.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Many Asians come from a culture in which penny pinching is how they survive. It can be very irritating to westerners who grew up in plenty and waste more than some people live on.

The man making a ruckus over the $1.29 is doing it on principle and the restaurant who charged him the $1.29 was also doing it on principle.

I also think the man who sweetened his "lemonade" with artificial sweetener (yecch!) instead of sugar is kidding himself that the chemical stuff is healthier than sugar. But that's another topic.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Hi erandir

You ask how my occupation works out nowadays...

Well gigs are hard to come by and it is a 'dead-end job' - but when I help myself to drinks in bars and restaurants - I get no complaints!

By the way you have some pretty fancy armour on yourself. Ever thought of being a gladiator?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

You're right though, it is probably a cultural thing. I remember asking a chinese woman there how to say "love" in chinese, such as "I love you mom" she said there is no such word and that love over there means only romantic love. It floored me that they had no concept of the various types of love.

• rebel8
    rebel8

When I worked in a full service restaurant eons ago, we gave a small glass of ice water for free. We regularly had people who would ask for hot water in a kettle, a mug, and cream, then proceed to make themselves several mugs of tea with the free sugar on the table and a teabag from their pocketbook. Others would do the same with instant soup and free crackers.

They'd be occupying tables during lunch rush that were intended to be used to turn a profit and costing us $ to clean up after them.

The salad & burger thing? Oh yea, I've seen that. A party of 2 orders 1 burger and a side of dressing. When the meal arrives, the person asks for extra lettuce & tomato, crackers, and an extra plate. The other eats a free salad.

Or they order a cup of soup and want an unlimited supply of free bread with it.

Whether it was right or wrong to make lemonade, I don't know. What I do know is that some people take unfair advantage of service people whose tips depend upon them making the customer happy, knowing they will hesitate to speak up.

(I don't think taking a waiter's tip away for a disagreement with the owner is right.)

• John Doe
    John Doe

Good points rebel8. There is every possibility that this restaurant is a bunch of jerks, but those of us who work in service businesses know enough not to jump to conclusions. There are some kinds of "customers" that aren't wanted.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    There are some kinds of "customers" that aren't wanted.

JD,

I understand what your point, but in this case the owner was wrong.

• eclipse
    eclipse
    I didn't make myself clear. At the time, there was a bar that had all the burger toppings set out for you to put what you wanted on your burger. As I said, he would make an entire salad from the burger toppings. Saddly, they no longer keep the toppings out for precisely that reason.

JohnDoe, I did not realize that is what you meant.

That is taking much more than what they were paying for, and that is wrong.

Thanks for clarifying that for me!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I thought it was a joke when I heard you never see any stray cats around the garbage bin at a chinnesse restaurant.

Maybe it wasnt.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I thought it was a joke when I heard you never see any stray cats around the garbage bin at a chinnesse restaurant.

Maybe it wasnt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit