WHAT do YOU know about JESUS... and His teachings?

by hibiscusfire 286 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

In line with jt's sincere comments, I must ask some sincere questions.

How is damnation reconciled with love?

What purpose does eternal punishment serve?

Is there a reality that is ever-present that requires no special revelation to be perceived?

Is it not that reality that is most worthy of investigation?

Okay...

Here's a shocker... What if... when Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the father but through me"... what if he were just speaking to the Jews. What if God reaches out to each culture, no... each person in a unique way. He tried with the Jews to bring them to him through the Mosaic Law - most failed. So he tried again AS Jesus, basically saying "Okay, you are looking for the Messiah to reunite you with God... well I am He. If the only way that your faith will allow you to approach God is through the Messiah, then here I am - get on with it" ? What I am saying is something along the lines of "according to your faith - so be it" (that's biblical I think). If you need a Messiah - then so be it, If you need a flowing river - then so be it, If you need a starry night - then so be it. Whatever it takes to connect you with Me - then so be it. Just do it ? AO ducks and runs for cover
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    What if God reaches out to each culture, no... each person in a unique way.

You're WAY TOO reasonable and compassionate, AO.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    You're WAY TOO reasonable and compassionate, AO.

What... for a Christian ?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

http://bible.com/jesus_popup.php?id=7

It was an article by someone called Betty Miller and appears on a few sites.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    It was an article by someone called Betty Miller and appears on a few sites.

Thanks Ms Emo (still feel bad about the Mr Emo comment ages ago!)

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

LOL @ AO - you're forgiven, you just need to forgive yourself now bro'!

If you need a Messiah - then so be it, If you need a flowing river - then so be it, If you need a starry night - then so be it. Whatever it takes to connect you with Me - then so be it. Just do it ?

I loved that!! WOW! Now for my 'bombshell':

How is damnation reconciled with love?

Maybe it depends on your definition of damnation/hell. If we say that God is omnipresent, is there anywhere that God is not? Is God in hell as well as heaven? The best answer I've ever seen to this was LittleToe's, who asked - are heaven and hell real, physical places or are they our state in relation to God? (So for example, 'hell' could perhaps be when we're stood with our back to God, absorbed in our own world and what we can see in front of us - but we don't turn around to realise that He's been there, loving us all the time - and all we have to do is turn around...)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

But your description of Hell is different from the Bible's, right?

I don't know.

Just asking.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Metaphor maybe, Nvr?

Imagine the feeling you'd have if you had a winning lottery ticket for $20 million but failed to claim it before the deadline - that kind of real sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach - fire that doesn't go out or the worm? Weeping and gnashing of teeth - a kind of "dammit" self-cursing for forgetting to claim.

Imagine feeling like that for eternity - or until you choose to turn around and discover that you didn't lose out after all...

(gotta retire for the night now, will catch up tomorrow!)

• Terry
    Terry

What we can "know" about Jesus is next to nothing.

We cannot trust the information we have. The historical basis for his existence is marginal at best and dodgy at worst.

Jesus either was a man or he wasn't.

Jesus was either Divine or he wasn't.

Jesus either deserved to be put to death or he didn't.

But, absolutely nothing asserted about Him has ever been proved to be correct and verifiable.

Thousands of perfectly sincere and intelligent people for two thousand years have come to loggerheads and disagreements about who Jesus was in any real sense they can agree on.

This seems pretty solid proof there is no "there" there.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

God/Satan

Heaven/Hell

All metaphors?

For what?

What is real?

After all the words and dogma are stripped away?

What remains?

That is worth scrutinizing.

What do you think, Terry?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit