WHAT do YOU know about JESUS... and His teachings?

by hibiscusfire 286 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Hibiscusfire

I have thought of similar before... it happened during the Eucharist once.

The analogy of "the Body of Christ" struck me.

He died for us... His Spirit was released to us... We therefore make up his new body... As Paul says, each of us has a different function.

One bread - one body.

As you say, in the analogy is that that the blood continually cleanses, but it is my understanding that we never are sinless.

We all sin / make mistakes / act selfishly, even after accepting the acts of Jesus However, God treats as though it were clean.

Wow... I haven't thought about Christianity in such literal terms for ages.

For me, thinking of it in terms of "being made clean through his blood" brings to mind the doctrine of transubstantiation and all the literallness that goes with it.

I think that any analogy falls short of the mechanics of the "how and why" of God's gift.

I tend to think of "salvation" as a free gift to all those who accept it by recognising Jesus as their God who loved them so much that he was willing to die for them.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks, AO.

Good to see you my friend!

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

...or dare I say it but a way of awakening the reality that God loves us, and no longer wants us to be apart.

Maybe Jesus' death was a means to an end.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    Good to see you my friend!

You too.... it's been ages since anyone threw roses at me

It so hard to write "the unwritable something that ticks away inside"... it usually comes out as a bit of a cliche !

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

hi nvr - I do have my own theory on what happens to those who never heard the Gospel, I just wanted to know Hibie's view, largely because she's pulled one verse out of the context and in doing such offers zero hope to those who haven't heard it.

I find people who do that a tad annoying!!

.. and especially when they do a cut and paste for their main argument!!!!!

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Where did the original come from Miss Emo ?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Dear Hibiscusfire,

I like what you said, it sounds very nice, and it's understandable the warmth many people have for such teachings. Here is my honest and candid problems with it.

It seems that the teaching clearly implies that if I do not honor and accept Jesus as my saviour, I'm not only not-saved, but I will also reap some form of punishment or even death.

Personally, I can not honestly find it in my heart to love, honor and worship a deity who will kill me or drastically punish me, if I do not. I don't fear death so much that I am willing to bastardize my soul and sacrifice personal integrity and come to admire what is clearly less moral than most people. I imagine you, Hibiscus, are far more authentically compassionate and loving than the god you worship. But don't allow yourself to see that, because it would be sacreligious to rise above what you have come to believe is "The Most High".

j

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Where did the original come from Ms Emo ?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

In line with jt's sincere comments, I must ask some sincere questions.

How is damnation reconciled with love?

What purpose does eternal punishment serve?

Is there a reality that is ever-present that requires no special revelation to be perceived?

Is it not that reality that is most worthy of investigation?

• eclipse
    eclipse

Personally, I can not honestly find it in my heart to love, honor and worship a deity who will kill me or drastically punish me, if I do not. I don't fear death so much that I am willing to bastardize my soul and sacrifice personal integrity and come to admire what is clearly less moral than most people. I imagine you, Hibiscus, are far more authentically compassionate and loving than the god you worship. But don't allow yourself to see that, because it would be sacreligious to rise above what you have come to believe is "The Most High".

j

Very well said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit