What is your heritage?

by greendawn 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

Several years ago Kathy and I did some heavy research on our family lines...my family lines had the usual mix of Scots, German, French and Native American...Native American being family tradition I take with a grain of salt...when I was a kid my dad told me my maternal grand-mother's family were "Black Dutch"...even with the internet I've not been able to determine exactly what "Black Dutch" was...

My surname is Roberts, of which there are thousands found everywhere...interesting thing is I have a double desent...direct paternal line and indirect desent on my fathers side, his maternal grandmother was a Roberts as well...

It was an interesting journey....

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I am Irish and English from my paternal side, and French ad Norwegian on my maternal side.

I did some genealogy research and discovered some Abnaki Indian through a family member who was captured by the Abnaki's and bore three children to a bigwig in that tribe. (upper Maine/ lower Canadian area)

My "claims to fame" are being related to Edvard Grieg, Mildred (Babe) Dedrickson Zaharias, Emily Dickinson and Calvin Coolidge.

hugs,

Annie

• knock knock
    knock knock

Freak. Part French, part Greek. Nah, just stole it from a Dick Van Dyke show. We be mostly English with a wee bit of Irish and a dash of Am. Indian.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I'm Scandanavien.. My father's parents were Finnish.. immigrated to the US when my grandmother was 13

My mothers parents were Swedish and Norwgian. They also come to the US as teens

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

I was born in North Holland, Netherlands. My father's ancestors came from Friesland, Netherlands and my mother's ancestors came from what is now Belgium (which was once part of the Netherlands).

My father always claimed that his grandmother's (Dorothea) ancestors came from Scotland and that way back came from China, I don't know why. He thought our surname sounded oriental but in fact it is Frisian.

I'm blue eyed blonde yet my blood type is B. For anyone else that may have B blood type this may interest you: Eastern Europeans, East Indians, northern Chinese, Koreans and a smaller portion of Japanese tend toward type B, as do Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jews. Blood group B is thought to have entered Europe with the invasion of the Tatars from Asia. Thus, if someone has blood group B (or AB), this most likely means the individual has some Tatar ancestry). Maybe my father was right about the Chinese (chuckling) but I tend to think that there is a very small chance that it could be Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jews. It makes more sense. I read somewhere once that Hasidic Jews had a high % of B blood type also. The fact that I'm RH neg probably eliminates China. My understanding is that 16% of Europeans are RH-

It doesn't change who I am, knowing who my ancestors are, but I find it extremely interesting.

R.F. and snowbird: You may find this link interesting. A while back they had a programme on TV and they did DNA testing on Oprah, Quency Jones etc.

http://www.mg.co.za/articledirect.aspx?articleid=264490&area=

This particular quote caught my eye: "It helps create an understanding that race is an illusion and that there isn't any real difference between races. They show that we're all mixes."

• greendawn
    greendawn

I realise America and Canada are melting pots of nations since most people there have ancestors typically from several nations, especially in the USA. I was also surprised that so many Americans have native Indian ancestry I used to think that the two (Europeans and Amerindians) didn't mix that much due to being mutually hostile.

• knock knock
    knock knock

greendawn; yes, the Europeans and Indians were hostile, but, they also made up continually it seems.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks for that link, Guest With Questions. My blood type is AB+ and I've been told that's an oddity. I have so many questions that are clamoring for an answer.

Snowbird

• RAF
    RAF

African (don't know from where since they were slaves) both sided / Italian Father side / French Father and Mother sides / Biello russian Mother sides / Chinese both sides of my Father sides ... but all together that makes me 1/3 of the 3 basic races and I'm very happy about that.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm curious as to why some want to have DNA testing to know exactly what they are? Is what our ancestors were, really who we are? What if some were heroes and some were pathological murders? Or, maybe they were all just plain folks. Does that really have anything to do with who we are, or who we have the potential to be? Just a thought!

More curiosity than anything else. Unlike you all I know about my black ground is that my folks are black (former American slaves). I don't know who their slave masters were or what caucasian race mixed with my ancestors, where in Africa my ancestors came from, which Native American tribe(s) are mixed along in there, etc. All I know is that I am a Black Woman of paritally unknown ancestry and I would like to know...just like everyone else. Is that wrong?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit