What is your heritage?

by greendawn 79 Replies latest jw friends

• dobbie
    dobbie

Thats interesting about the rhesus negative but i think it is more common than they make out, half my family are rh- plus out of our congregation 4 of us females had rh- blood.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

Simply Russian descent, for as far back as anyone has ever known plus one Mongolian that slipped in back about 5 or 6 generations ago.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    greendawn; yes, the Europeans and Indians were hostile, but, they also made up continually it seems.

a lot of forced mixing too.

I took the Genebase mtdna test a few months ago, which traces your maternal roots. Lo and behold my maternal ancestry origniated in Northern Asia and migrated into the Americas, not Africa like I originally thought.

Just goes to show how skin color doesn't really say anything about your roots.

I asked my brother to have take the test to see about my paternal line. I waiting to be surpised.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

From Munich, Germany to Pennsylvania from the 1740s to the 1760s.

• moshe
    moshe

I have done the National Geographic Genographic dna testing. I have a very good idea of who I am. www.genographic.com

My Y dna tested as E3b1= semitic ancestory. 10,000 years ago my male ancestor was probably living near the mediterranean sea with a comfortable beachfront hut. They had not yet invented surfing. There is a good possibilty my ancestors were Jewish at one point - based on Jewish dna matches that I have found, I probably have a common Jewish ancestor about 2-3000 years ago. I could claim to be from one of the lost tribes of Israel- some of them migrated into Greece, then into Germany. During the persecutions of the Spanish Inquisition and the Black Plague ( blamed on the Jews) , Many Jews stopped practicing Judaism and migrated to England working as peasant farmers or learning trades. My surname is a common English one, but only 3% are of the E3b1 semitic dna that I have.My relatives have all been farmers as far back as I can research. My one perfect dna match with my surname had all been farmers until my generation, too. We might have a common ancestor within the last 300-500 years.

My X dna or Mtdna, tested as H, or better know as Clan Helena. My distant g-g-g-mother lived in Europe perhaps near todays France , but when the glaciers advanced they were forced down further south to the mediterranean. Then around 14,000 years ago the ice started to melt and they expanded back north. I suspect they crossed the land bridge into England before the glacial sea broke through and made the English Channel, isolating Britain from mainland Europe. . They most likely settled in Scotland 5 or 6000 years ago- which is where my G-G grandmother immigrated from in the 1800's. The book, 'Seven daughters of Eve', provide more insight into the history of prehistoric women and their migrations. I have matched with over 4000 people who have the same H dna with a 1519c mutation. I am trying to narrow that down to less than 100 people with a Mtdna refinement test.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's amazing what DNA gene studies can do to uncover one's past all the mutated genes become useful markers for tracing ancestry. I would also like to do those tests one day.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

I Im a hinds 50 different verities.lol. German, Indian, French and hill belly. I Im from Detroit Michigan.

• flipper
    flipper

Mr. Flippers heritage, dads side, English, German, Welsh from England 1790's to America at that time, located in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Moms side irish and native american indian, Cheyenne and Cherokee. Mrs. Flippers heritage, dads side , Swedish, moms side, Russian and Slavic

• RAF
    RAF

MrsJones : All I know is that I am a Black Woman of paritally unknown ancestry and I would like to know...just like everyone else.

I hear you !!! ... I knew on the late - but still would like to know about the African part (I guess I won't) but I'm happy that on my mother side a cousin did our genealogy and on my father side for the details it's actually someone I didn't know (wich have a kid with someone from the familly) which called me since I'm in the yello pages to ask me if I was from the familly and gave me more details from her genealogy researches that's when I knew that there were chinese on both sides on my father sides ... It was cool !!!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

More curiosity than anything else. Unlike you all I know about my black ground is that my folks are black (former American slaves). I don't know who their slave masters were or what caucasian race mixed with my ancestors, where in Africa my ancestors came from, which Native American tribe(s) are mixed along in there, etc. All I know is that I am a Black Woman of paritally unknown ancestry and I would like to know...just like everyone else. Is that wrong?

Hey Ms. Jones: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was wrong to want know your heritage. It think it's normal for everyone to be curious. I was curious too, when I was younger, and my father did the genealogy for his family which was very easy because, as you mentioned, the records were well kept and my family stayed in one place for centuries. Much easier to trace.

Yeah, it was fun to read it and notice some definite family patterns. There seemed to be an overabundance of single male children on my father's side, which also makes tracing much easier. Also lots of military men, horsemen(calvary, jockey's, etc) and lots of accountant types. I guess in the end, I just didn't think it really mattered very much or was very important. All those people are gone. They don't know us, we don't know them. We carry some combination of their genes and we have no control over any of it. I sort of subscribe to the philosophy that it is what we do in our lifetime that really matters. Our choices have the power to affect our lives in a way we can control and affect future generations. So I guess, I am more about the future than the past.

Also, I think some people getting too hung up on their ancestry, or proud of it, (not meaning you, but in a general sense) also contributes to the evils of racism in a way. My father is very proud of being British, and very racist, which embarrases the hell out of me. Decoding the human genome has given us the scientific evidence that "race" really does not exist. It truly is as superficial as skin color

But no, I definitely don't criticize anyone wanting to know where they come from out of curiosity. I just think it is more important where we are going.

Peace,

Cog ( of the make love, not war, all men are brothers, shoulda been a hippie flower child in the sixties class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit