What is your heritage?

by greendawn 79 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

this topic does make me laugh when I talk about it with my step mum. I think you phrased the question correctly, (heritage) which would have stopped a lot of stupid conversations ive had with SM along the lines of: SM:shes Italian ME:Really? Where was she born? SM:America ME: so shes American SM: No shes Italian cos her father on her mothers side is from Tuscany and her fathers parents came from Venice ME: But both her parents were born in Detroit and she was born in New York right? So shes not Italian, she American. DOH!

• snowbird
    snowbird

For you, R. F.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/BlackBeltDNA/

I don't know how to do an active link.

Snowbird

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Ive also heard this from someone else:

Im half Irish, half scottish, half romany gypsy, half german

WTF?????

No love, youre English cos you were born in Coventry.

• M.J.
    M.J.

The question of race and/or heritage can be interesting when someone in the US has ancestry from a Latin American country. Most identify the country of prior ancestry and call it good. But really, every Latin American country themselves are big "melting pots". Especially Brazil! (sheesh!). I've met some Brazilians with a name like Fernando Yoshida. Most Argentinians I've met have Italian surnames. Plenty of Asians in Peru too! Not to mention the widespread African ancestry in the Caribbean and portions of South America. Even Mexicans have a pretty diverse ancestry, which many Mexican-Americans themselves do not even realize. My own Mexican hertitage includes French and Italian ancestry.

• R.F.
    R.F.

Thank you snowbird.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Thank you snowbird.

Welcome, Little Brother. And all this time I thought you were from the other side.

Snowbird

• R.F.
    R.F.
    Welcome, Little Brother. And all this time I thought you were from the other side.

LOL! You're like the third person here to think that.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I like OFG's answer. I am a member of the human race from planet earth! I don't really believe in the concept of "race" other than that. I think genetic science backs me up on this. We all have a heritage though.

I am Canadian because I was born in Canada and that is my culture. My cultural heritage is English (Norman) on my dad's side, traced back to the Somerset area of England as far back as the 1500's. My mom is also Canadian, but from Nova Scotia which is so far away from BC it is practically a different culture! The heritage of her parents is Scottish and Welsh/Irish. So we pretty much have the whole British Isles covered.

I'm curious as to why some want to have DNA testing to know exactly what they are? Is what our ancestors were, really who we are? What if some were heroes and some were pathological murders? Or, maybe they were all just plain folks. Does that really have anything to do with who we are, or who we have the potential to be? Just a thought!

Cog

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I am Canadian because I was born in Canada and that is my culture. My cultural heritage is English (Norman) on my dad's side, traced back to the Somerset area of England as far back as the 1500's.
    I'm curious as to why some want to have DNA testing to know exactly what they are?

I can only speak for myself. I want the test because I've been unable to trace my ancestry past 1850. Many African-Americans have encountered the same problem. Unlike yours, our cultural heritage was either lost or deliberately blotted out. Respectfully,

Snowbird

• dobbie
    dobbie

Ah Somerset, CD a good place to come from!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit