Any videogamers here?

by R.F. 69 Replies latest social entertainment

• Descender
    Descender

I've always been a big gamer. I've had almost all the console systems from the Atari 2600 onward. Currently I only lack a PS3. I've played a lot of the massive multi player online games on the computer and I was addicted, actually addicted to a few of them.

You know you're addicted to a game when it's all you can think of. You're going to work and the only thing on your mind is the new armor you got last night and how you just can't wait to get home to go raiding in that new dungeon. You know you're addicted when all you dream of is the game you're playing. You know you're addicted when you happily forgo almost all real life activities so you can play one single game 60 to 80 hours a week, every week for months or years.

Just like all addictions you'll try to rationalize you're game playing when someone confronts you about it. You're saving money, you don't like going outside, other people watch TV and you play the game instead, you're an introvert, this is the way you relieve stress, you'll quit when you get to level 60, no wait, it's level 70 now. Maybe you'll just play a little while longer until you've gotten into a big guild, explored all the dungeons, and gotten a whole set of epics then you'll quit. Oh no, they just came out with another expansion and all your gear is crap, you don't want to quit when just anyone can easily go and get better gear than you have, of yeah they raised the level cap again and when you quit you need to retire at the top.

Then one day several years down the road when the game is winding down and everyone is migrating to the new game on the horizon you look back over your gaming career and see all those missed days of work, those missed relationships, those missed days out in the sun. You realize that you're different than you were before you started playing this game. You're out of shape, you've gained a lot of weight, you're skin is pasty, your mind is in a fog and look at those dark circles under your eyes from all those nights you stayed up until 5am raiding. And what do you have to show for it? a few high level pixels that aren't worth anything. But you saved so much money from not going out to the movies, or out to eat, or the bar, or on vacation, right? Probably not, as you played the game you probably stopped progressing at work, if you could, you probably cut your hours back to the base minimum you could still work and survive so you had more time to play your game. No money made here.

At least that was my experience. I played 4 1/2 years of EQ and retired from that game in 2004 with several high level characters with somewhere around 320 days played. That's 320x24 hours = 7,200 hours played on EQ. I retired from WoW a couple of months ago with a lvl 70 priest with all epics, a lvl 63 shaman, and several twink characters ranging from 19, 29, and 49. I had played 2 years of WoW and had around 120 days played between all those characters. When I look back on it now, I'm afraid it looks like a lot of wasted time.

• metaspy
    metaspy

I am a big enthusiast!
    I have NES, Atari, GameCube, PS2, Sega Genesis, Gameboy
    as you might guess I am a fan of Nintendo.
    I do enjoy the FF series from SquareEnix (including KingdomHearts). I especially love the Zelda series. I have played all of them except Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I loved Zelda Ocarina of Time.

I play pc games. I have played Pharaoh and Cleopatra (you build an Egyptian city)(all my people keep dying from plague though) and a new one GHOST hunters, which is basically like an ISpy type of game.

The latest one I downloaded is Magic Online. This should be interesting as I've no blinking idea what I'm doing.

But I needed something to zap, so ....

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

That's the spirit!!

pew...pew...pew

• Heather
    Heather

Descender thank you for that.....My husband plays alot. at least three nigths a week if not more till 2 a.m. then several afternoons while the kids are sleeping. He enjoys it which is fine with me some of the time but he deffinatly has an addiction. When this is how you relieve stress instead of spending time with your wife or kids or real people. Sometimes he does but alot of the time we get pushed to the side. Since work is kinda of short right now I have applied to work and he is home playing video games.....anyway...sorry i'm in bitch mode. Anyway i feel one day it will wear off and he will look back and realize all the things he could have been doing with his family instead of wasting his time with games.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Descender thank you for that.....My husband plays alot. at least three nigths a week if not more till 2 a.m. then several afternoons while the kids are sleeping. He enjoys it which is fine with me some of the time but he deffinatly has an addiction. When this is how you relieve stress instead of spending time with your wife or kids or real people. Sometimes he does but alot of the time we get pushed to the side. Since work is kinda of short right now I have applied to work and he is home playing video games.....anyway...sorry i'm in bitch mode. Anyway i feel one day it will wear off and he will look back and realize all the things he could have been doing with his family instead of wasting his time with games.

Did you ever think of playing WITH him? That's what multiplayer games are for. Personally after getting a good multiplayer game for the Wii my family has got together to play it for hours on end. In fact, Mom and Dad are in the other room playing golf together AS I TYPE. Also, what do you do in your spare time?

Lore
  • arrowstar
    arrowstar

Exactly! Why don't you join him?

I introduced my son to World of Warcraft and we go questing together. There are several aspects of the game worth learning. Coordination....goal setting...teamwork...cooperation....strategy....financial responsibility (you can get that epic flying mount for 5000G if you're spending all your money on the Auction House for shiny thingys)....social interaction....

Studies have been done that people that play MMOs do better in the corporate world.

When was the last time you got 40 people at that same place at the same time all knowing their role in the objective and accomplishing that goal? It happens ingame every night.

Nine million players worldwide play World of Warcraft.

Lisa aka Vargastar of Arathor...

• brinjen
    brinjen

I used to play a lot of pc games, when I had the time. Love games like Sims 2. Thinking of trying out WoW.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon
    Did you ever think of playing WITH him?

Getting your spouse addicted as well isn't the best solution.

"You know honey, rather than me stop smoking, how about you start?"

• Descender
    Descender

In general, console games aren't near as addictive as an mmporg. The Wii is a really great game console to play games on with your spouse or your kids. And I don't ever feel like I have to spend massive amounts of time on it. I very rarely spend more than 30 to 45 minutes at most on the Wii in one sitting. And it's fun for multiple people. I had several people over to my house a couple of weekends ago and we all had fun on the Wii. Now massive multi player online computer games are different. Sure you can try to get your spouse hooked on it, and although it's fun and it keeps him or her off your back. There are certain pitfalls.

I got my ex-spouse addicted to EQ awhile after I started to play. We were living in a small one bedroom low income apartment, but somehow we found the money to afford a new computer and then set up a new phone line so we'd have two internet connections. This was 2000 so cable modems weren't main stream yet. Suddenly I had more reason to stay online playing EQ because she was playing too. We became addicted together and it was fun. Eventually our play times increased as our character's levels increased and we had to spend more and more time questing and raiding and trade-skilling. We both got into one of the biggest guilds on the server and suddenly it was a job. To be in the guild we had to be on at certain times. The guild had mandatory raiding times. In this guild raiding times were set for Monday through Friday 6pm central to 1am central. Saturday at 10am central until whenever and Sunday was optional. In order to stay in the guild you had to attend 70% of the mandatory raids.

You had to have a high level of skill in playing and follow a button sequence to the second, especially if you were a healer. If you messed up and that caused a raid whipe you were generally berated in all CAPS in front of the rest of the guild, cussed at and given no option for loot that evening. It was actually very stressfull. I had horrible stomach pains during the time that I was raiding the most and went to the doctor and ended up taking ulcer medication.

After years of playing with my wife I decided to cut back on my gaming, whereas she decided to keep playing. I had cut my playing down to almost nothing and had no idea that my wife had started talking to several of the guys from the guild through an IM and then she started talking to them on the phone. Then she started taking videos of herself, usually stripping and all the things that go along with that and sending those videos out to these guys. The guys would take videos of themselves and send them to her. I found all this out a few months later while looking something up on her computer and ran accross all this stuff. At the time, it was all very heart-braking.

She eventually left me and told me, amongst other things, that playing the game had contributed so much to us becoming different people that she just wasn't attracted to me anymore. We went to marriage counseling where the counselors told us that getting so involved in a game together had actually estranged us instead of drawing us together. She later used our joint credit card to fly a guy from the guild half way accross the country to meet her in the apartment that she moved into. That didn't work out and we got divorced. The last time I ever spoke to her on the phone a couple of years ago, she was dating a guy and said she was so happy that he wasn't a gamer like me.

I ended up wishing that I'd never picked up that Everquest box. And then I turned right around and installed WoW after it came out. So, really I'm kind of hypocrite. But alas, learn from my mistakes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit