The simplest explanation of 607 BCE

by Doug Mason 116 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

If you are looking for the simplest picture that shows how the WTS calculates that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BCE, and if you want to understand basic problems with their method, this might be what you want.

http://au.geocities.com/doug_mason1940/WTS_false_reasoning_for_607_BCE.pdf

(Make sure that your PDF reader displays the whole page.)

Doug

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Nice diagram, shows the reasoning well.

The WTS is obliged to work backwards from 1914, creating many points of failure for the Seven Times doctrine.

• 1914 went to 606 due to including a year zero. When 0 was excluded the WTS was forced to move to 607.
    • 607 is seventy years from 537 yet Babylon was destroyed in 539
    • Dan 4 was fulfilled by Nebuchadnezzar, there is no precendence for it to have a second fulfillment
    • Jerusalem was destroyed 587 not 607. This period of 50 years fits perfectly with prophecy

I have done an article on it too at http://jehovah.net.au/607.html

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Doug and JW,

Thank you, very much, for this fine information.

Yours,

V

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Ah yes, working backward to prove your doctrines- what a great concept.

This is like deciding how big your tax refund should be, based on your needs,
    and working backwards to determine what your income last year will be.

My studies have shown me that any group could use the Bible and history to
    come up with any date for their important events. You could even shorten the
    year to 360 days if your math is not quite right, or fudge one year if your first
    calculations forgot that there was no year "Zero" in the figuring. You could
    prove that man is 6000 years old and establish things the Bible doesn't even
    mention, like "how long a creative day" is, or you could apply "a day for a year"
    to anything you like. With a two thirds vote, you could change a generation
    to a different era, or decide that it is a vague concept.

• poppers
    poppers

"Ah yes, working backward to prove your doctrines- what a great concept.

This is like deciding how big your tax refund should be, based on your needs,
    and working backwards to determine what your income last year will be."

Great analogy!

• zack
    zack

OTWO:

I bet your comments are sorely missed at your congo!

• Dansk
    Dansk

I once told an elder that the society had worked backwards from 1914 to arrive at 607BCE and he replied:

"It doesn't matter."

It DOESN'T matter!

Ian

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Jwfacts - love the article it is one to keep. I find it hard to follow the longwinded explanations of most people , and like a lot of dubs I mentally switch off, but yours was just what I have needed. This bit is choice

A person should be realistic about the ability of the Watchtower Society to interpret prophecy after considering that to date there has been a proven time prophecy failure rate of 100%. Does this inspire confidence that the current understanding of 1914 is any more accurate and that Holy Spirit guides Watchtower prophetic interpretation?
  • greendawn
    greendawn

It's obvious enough that their 607 date is wrong and no one else accepts it they are th eonly ones in teh world that stick to it fanatically because it is vital for their religion and they have no other choice. Just observing that 539 as the fall of Babylon doesn't complete 70 years from 607 they had to come up with the silly excuse that the king of Persia was the king of Babylon up to 537 and that then completes the 70 years.

But the king of Persia was no more the king of Babylon than he was the king of other conquerd lands like Assyria or Egypt. He was the king of Persia. Their argument is absurd.

• blondie
    blondie

Can someone post Alleymom's explanation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit