The simplest explanation of 607 BCE

by Doug Mason 116 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fresia
    fresia

I fear this is a lesson in futility.

One camp holds the Bible as the primary authority on chronology. The other holds secular sources as primary.

When confronted with data that conflicts with the status quo, a biblical chronologist will reject or attack the data while a secular chronologist will examine the data and revise if necessary. I believe this to be the fundamental difference.

Scholar will hold Biblical sources above all others, conflicting secular sources *must* be wrong to him. The rest of us will revise chronology if new evidence is found.

I think that Scholar upholds bilical sources above others is commendable and shows that he has has great faith. I would believe the bible above all other secular beliefs when it came to the nitty gritty because it is Gods word. I am sure Jesus would also as he always had enough faith to trust and quote from the scriptures even though it was from imperfect man, because he believed it to be inspired of God.

Jesus never trusted on book and distrusted all others. as tim says ALL scripture is inspired of God. Jesus believed that. Human errors are made but nothing takes away from the essence of Gods Message. Gods Kingdom.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

fresia:

I think that Scholar upholds bilical sources above others is commendable and shows that he has has great faith. I would believe the bible above all other secular beliefs when it came to the nitty gritty because it is Gods word. I am sure Jesus would also as he always had enough faith to trust and quote from the scriptures even though it was from imperfect man, because he believed it to be inspired of God.

'scholar' sure has tenacity, and faith in the Watchtower Society, but his faith in the bible is highly questionable.

The bible says that all the nations would serve Babylon for seventy years (Jer 25:11), then Babylon's king would be judged and called to account (Jer 25:12, Daniel 5:26-31). 'scholar' says that the Jews would be in Babylon for seventy years (nowhere stated in the bible), and that Babylon's king was judged 2 years after he was dead (illogical and not stated in the bible).

So do you believe the bible, or do you believe 'scholar'?

• mavie
    mavie

scholar

Post 1470

I see we agree the difference between you and I is in how we view the Bible. You view it as the inspired word of God, while I view it as an historical work with elements of mythology.

So the question then is this; How can we trust the Bible is inspired of God?

Take for example the flood of Noah's day. If that event happened, what explains the diversity we see around us? Biologists estimate a new species arises through evolution about once every 5,000 years. If only 'kinds' of animals were on the Ark with Noah, we should expect to see a new species arise every 120 or so *days* to account for the variety we see around us. Belief in the flood amounts to a belief in highly accelerated evolution.

I await your response.

• timmycat
    timmycat

We can trust the bible as the inspired word because Jehovah loved us so much to send his only begotten son to die for us, that is how much he loves us, so I think that our heavenly father would make sure that what we have today is surely his inspired word, maybe some little things are lost or not as accurate as the picky mind may try to use to say it isn't Gods letter to us, we have the truth and the theme of the bible has never been adulterated..

The bible a letter from God our father to his children, why wouldn't he protect it.

• timmycat
    timmycat

The fundamental difference between WT chronologists and secular chronologists is that the former give prioroty to the Bible as the innspired Word of God whereas the latter allow higher criticism to put the Bible aside and pay 'lip service' to its testimony. There will always be a conflict between secular records and the Bible record so one must choose which record is the most reliable and accurate especially when it comes to history and chronology.

Celebrated WT scholars as with the rest of the scholarly community are interested in the progress of knowledge particularly in relation to the Bible and as new research comes to light which causes adjustments or confirmation of current practice then such research is utilized for the benefit of all peoples. Over many decades WT scholars have found it necessary to adjucst or 'fine-tune their chronology and this has also been the case with other chronologists. In short, the only difference between chronologists is the attitude to the Bible.

scholar JW

AMEN

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

To all JW cult apologists:

Jeffro:

you will die without any of your delusions coming to fruition.

AMEN

• fresia
    fresia

fresia:

No I don't follow any man but it appears that many on here follow Ray Franz the apostate.

'scholar' sure has tenacity, and faith in the Watchtower Society, but his faith in the bible is highly questionable.

The bible says that all the nations would serve Babylon for seventy years (Jer 25:11), then Babylon's king would be judged and called to account (Jer 25:12, Daniel 5:26-31). 'scholar' says that the Jews would be in Babylon for seventy years (nowhere stated in the bible), and that Babylon's king was judged 2 years after he was dead (illogical and not stated in the bible).

So do you believe the bible, or do you believe 'scholar'?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit