The simplest explanation of 607 BCE

by Doug Mason 116 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scholar
    scholar

Doug Mason

Post 227

You ask concerning the structure of my graduate and post graduate studies in Religion. My undergraduate study consisted of a double major in Religious Studies and Philosophy at Deakin University, Faculty of Arts. The postgraduate program in Studies in Religion was at the University of Sydney.

Such qualifications would qualify one academically to work as a minister in a church but most churches have their own 'in house' theological training so such qualifications would certainly be a major step forward if one was so inclined. You ask for a scan or copy of my certificates which are in called 'tesatamurs' in academic parlance but as these are framed such copies of which are not practically made.

I enjoyed very much my university education which fulfilled a childhood ambition of having a university education. My wife and daughter also have gone to university graduating in nursing. My studies were spiritually upbuilding and I was able to critically examine everything including my Witness-Bible based beliefs and found that upon such critical examination that we alone possess the True Religion.

I frankly am not a 'spin doctor' but rather I am a WT apologist using my faith,experience and intellect to defend our Bible-based beliefs and the ministry of preaching the 'good news of the kingdom'. My apologia is in the best tradition of Irenaeus.

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Post 5093

Celebrated WT scholars do not need to pretend that they have produced a chronology of the Hebrew Kings because they have in fact published such a regnal tabulation for many decades which is something that I have challeged you and other 'wiley poztates' to produce. Thus far you have come empty handed. The most recent list is published in the Insight Volume and rather than speculation it is in fact based upon the biblical data. I have long taught you that chronology is made up of methodology and interpretation so any regnal list based upon certain data must also contain some interpretation. That is simply the 'way of it' and such interpretation is a major part of most if not all discipines of knowledge.

The 607 BCE date for the Fall is based solidly upon the fact of the Return and the interpretation of these facts proves that the only possible date is 537 BCE as agreed by most authorities.

The date of 997 BCE is based upon the acknowledgement and interpretation of Ezekiel's '390 years' culminating in the end of the Monarchy in 607 BCE which also is attested by Jewish tradition. By ignoring this prophecy, Christendom's scholars such as Thiele have failed to harmonize the regnal data of the Divided Monarchy producing variable dates, confusion thus abounds. Further, the Dead Sea Scrolls nicley confirm this exegesis produced by the 'celebrated ones'.

It is also interesting to see the futility of apostates and higher critics as they try to find the truth in these matters only to be further confused and deluded as they fail to acknowledge the FDS and its scholars. Such ones have nothing to show, no theology, mission or brotherhood.

scholar JW

• AlanF
    AlanF

Scholar pretendus wrote:

: The date of 997 BCE is based upon the acknowledgement and interpretation of Ezekiel's '390 years' culminating in the end of the Monarchy in 607 BCE which also is attested by Jewish tradition.

Not just attested by Jewish tradition, but entirely based on Jewish tradition -- which was exactly the point of my post.

: By ignoring this prophecy, Christendom's scholars such as Thiele have failed to harmonize the regnal data of the Divided Monarchy producing variable dates, confusion thus abounds.

Nonsense. Thiele's chronology of Jewish kings is almost entirely consistent with all biblical data. It's also very consistent with solidly established secular chronology. There is almost no confusion.

On the other hand, Thiele sets forth, and solves, a number of sticky problems that Watchtower writers simply ignore. One does not eliminate confusion by ignoring problems.

: Further, the Dead Sea Scrolls nicley confirm this exegesis produced by the 'celebrated ones'.

References please.

But it really doesn't matter. A careful study of the Greek Septuagint, produced in roughly 270 BCE, shows that the Jewish scholars who produced it were so thoroughly confused by the apparently conflicting chronologies of kings shown in the books of Kings and Chronicles in the Masoretic text that they actually changed many of the figures for the reigns of the kings so that it made sense to them. They ended up producing what is recognized today as a hopelessly wrong overall chronology of Jewish kings in the LXX. Since the Dead Sea Scrolls came from later Jewish commentators, it would be as foolish to rely on them for a good interpretation of the Masoretic text's chronologies as it would be to rely on the Septuagint's figures.

AlanF

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Scholar,

Still peddeling a Chronological kings list..........but never posting a kings list. Kinda like Amway, "trust me it works"

EW

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Post 5114

No the application of Ezekiel's '390 years' is not based on Jewish tradition at all but is in agreement with that tradition, The interpretation of that prophecy has always been explained in WT literature solely within a biblical context.

Thiele's presentation of the Divided Monarchy is not uniformly agreed within scholarship and I have presented the facts of the matter some years ago on this forum by means of comparing different chronologies by leading chronologists including Thiele which present different conclusions. For example, these scholars cannot agree as to which year the Monarchy ceased whether it was 586 BCE or 587 BCE. Apostates of course have no chronology for the period of the Divided monarchy so perhaps you shoul d 'put up' or 'shut up'.

Thiele deals with certain problems but others he cannot solve because he uses a 'regnal-based' methodologyand hence he falls into a 'pit of confusion'. Wisely, the 'celebrated WT cholars have chosen a different methodology- an event- based methodology which eliminates all of such perceived problems. Smart aren't they!

Yes, you would like the references to the Dead Sea Scrolls and I am able to prov ide this but this surely shows that you do not do enoughg research on matters before you criticize WT scholars. You should know these things if you are that smart and cocky. Has scholar once again, has to hold your hand and guide you and teach you?

You miss the point, I refer to the Dead Sea Scrolls in reference to support the traditional Jewish and current biblical interpretation that Ezekiel's'390 years' applies to the period of the Divided Monarchy.

scholar JW

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Scholar,

You tell AlanF:

so perhaps you shoul d 'put up' or 'shut up'.

Ive been asking you this for at least four years. Wheres your "celebrated" kings list. But in typical dub fashion you will not deliver, because you cannot, lest you be exposed.

EW

• AlanF
    AlanF

Scholar pretendus wrote:

: No the application of Ezekiel's '390 years' is not based on Jewish tradition at all but is in agreement with that tradition,

Wrong as usual. The first time that application was used in the modern WTS way was in the 1944 book The Kingdom Is At Hand, in a chart beginning on page 172. However, no explanation was given for anything about Ezekiel 4 -- the dates were simply printed in the chart with no explanation. Russell and his contemporaries specifically rejected that interpretation, but it had been around for many hundreds of years, and these were based themselves on Jewish tradition. So it's obvious that Fred Franz used these traditions in formulating his revision of Russell's chronology.

The first specific justification for applying the 390 years according to Jewish tradition appeared, so far as I'm aware, in the 1969 Aid book under the subject "Chronology". In the Aid book, the only justification given was reference to Jewish tradition and commentators, ranging from the Seder Olam (an anonymous exposition dated to somewhere between about 160 and 250 CE) to various 19th century Jewish commentators. Of course, the problem with relying on Jewish commentators on chronology is that their date system differs from secular dating by nearly two hundred years for the Neo-Babylonian period. Furthermore, strictly applying the basis for all these commentaries (the Seder Olam) to Ezekiel 4 results in a time between the fall of the Northern Kingdom of Israel and the fall of the Southern Kingdom of Judah of roughly 50 years, which again differs drastically from secular and Watchtower chronology. So the Society's use of these Jewish traditions is both dishonest and wrong-headed. It amounts to arbitrarily picking and choosing supporting references based only on whether they agree with a pre-determined claim.

: The interpretation of that prophecy has always been explained in WT literature solely within a biblical context.

Whether it was or not is unimportant, because Watchtower interpretations of prophecy are invariably nothing more than the current fancies of current Watchtower leaders, as its literature proves with respect to how Ezekiel 4 is applied to its chronology.

: Thiele's presentation of the Divided Monarchy is not uniformly agreed within scholarship

So what? The Watchtower's "presentation of the Divided Monarchy is not uniformly agreed within scholarship." The point is what arguments hold the most weight.

: and I have presented the facts of the matter some years ago on this forum by means of comparing different chronologies by leading chronologists including Thiele which present different conclusions.

Nonsense. Your "comparing different chronologies" has never amounted to anything more substantive than making a few general claims based on Watchtower literature and claiming divine inspiration for spiritually inebriated Watchtower "scholars". You cannot point to any of your posts that go into the specific comparisons you claim.

: For example, these scholars cannot agree as to which year the Monarchy ceased whether it was 586 BCE or 587 BCE.

So what? Lumping Watchtower writers together with them, according to your logic, means that no one knows the actual date -- 586 or 587 or 606 or 607. So your "logic", as usual, is self-serving and wrong. Second, the only reason for confusion is that the Bible itself dates events regarding the fall of Jerusalem both to the 18th and 19th years of Nebuchadnezzar. Many scholars have not agreed on how to understand the relevant Bible passages, but again, the most modern scholarship has definitely cleared that up, even though the results have not spread thoroughly around the scholarly community. The appropriate references have been posted on this forum at various times.

: Apostates of course have no chronology for the period of the Divided monarchy so perhaps you shoul d 'put up' or 'shut up'.

There is no such thing as "Apostates" such that every person labeled as such by morons such as yourself has to do any such putting up. I myself accept most of Thiele's work for the period before 587 BCE, although the poster Jeffro claims to have produced a workable one. Furthermore, as Thiele points out, there are certain problems in the Bible chronology that are simply insoluble within Watchtower chronology. This is proved by the complete lack of discussion of these by Watchtower writers, even though we know very well that these men have been very familiar with Thiele's work.

Finally, it should be obvious that a complete chronology of the Jewish kings prior to the Neo-Babylonian period is entirely irrelevant to the question of the validity of secular dating of this period. In fact, in most chronologies, including the Watchtower's, it is the events in Judah in the several decades prior to Jerusalem's fall -- the Neo-Babylonian period -- that are the basis for the preceding period. But you've been told many times before that this is so, and so your bringing up this red herring is yet another instance of thorough scholastic dishonesty.

: Thiele deals with certain problems

Problems that Watchtower writers generally ignore.

: but others he cannot solve

Which ones? You make sweeping claims like this but never back them up with references. Thiele claims to have solved all the problems, so I hazard a guess that you're simply lying and hoping no one will notice.

: because he uses a 'regnal-based' methodologyand hence he falls into a 'pit of confusion'.

Why do you think the regnal dates are in the Bible, you moron? Just to confuse readers with facts? Thiele uses these dates and figures to do a thorough cross check between the chronologies of the kings of Israel and Judah -- something that Watchtower writers often gloss over or "solve" with special pleading or by ignoring them.

: Wisely, the 'celebrated WT cholars have chosen a different methodology- an event- based methodology which eliminates all of such perceived problems. Smart aren't they!

Dishonest pseudo-scholars is what they are, because they gloss over whatever problems they find in their own chronology when possible, and simply ignore problems when they can't come up with "plausible" gobble-de-goop explanations. Explanations of the sort that Fred Franz used to change the 606 date to 607 BCE in 1943/44.

: Yes, you would like the references to the Dead Sea Scrolls and I am able to prov ide this but this surely shows that you do not do enoughg research on matters before you criticize WT scholars. You should know these things if you are that smart and cocky. Has scholar once again, has to hold your hand and guide you and teach you?

Obviously, your bluster is designed to hide the fact that you have no facts to back up your lies.

: You miss the point, I refer to the Dead Sea Scrolls in reference to support the traditional Jewish and current biblical interpretation that Ezekiel's'390 years' applies to the period of the Divided Monarchy.

You again write a blatant lie. You specifically stated that "the Dead Sea Scrolls nicley confirm this exegesis produced by the 'celebrated ones'." You said nothing about supporting Jewish tradition or any "current biblical interpretation" along these lines. And once again, you cannot produce any such interpretation, although I can present commentaries from the 19th and 20th centuries that reject that interpretation and give good reasons for doing so.

So here we have, yet again, scholar pretendus making grandiose claims of support for Watchtower chronology, but being unable to set forth any actual references. I have no doubt this is because he knows that it's extremely likely, based on past experience, that every time he actually presents source references it turns out that the references don't actually support his claims, or even directly contradict them. Such is the lot of the Watchtower apologist.

AlanF

• observer
    observer

Little bit offtopic but Watchtower 1. July 2007 p.13 claims, that the year 611 BCE was the seventh year of the exile. I don't know why it states that.

• NotaNess
    NotaNess
    I was able to critically examine everything including my Witness-Bible based beliefs and found that upon such critical examination that we alone possess the True Religion.

Scholar, you have the true religion huh? Show me anywhere in your scripture that proves Christ is an arch angel, like you are led to believe.

You're a friggin anti-christ, apostating on so many levels, deceiver...false prophet following dead man walking.

There's your truth.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

A course in "Religion and Philosophy" is as relevant to these discussions as a course in Underwater Basketweaving.

An Arts Course dealing with various religions and with philosophy, delivered by a state-run, government-funded institution (Deakin University) could be neither theological nor spiritual.

The course is so important that the University does not present it any more.

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit