BETHELITES - Whatever Became of?

by Black Man 296 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

FF:

That Mark McCumber -- is that the same one as the golfer on the pro tour a few years back? I understand that McCumber is a JW.

A great golfer, world class -- up there in the top 10 or 20 in the world for awhile. I thought we'd be seeing him on the Senior Tour.

I don't know for certain if that is the same one that JB was talking about or not.

I met Mark McCumber, the pro golfer, in his congregation (Ponte Verde Beach, FL) 15 years ago or so. He seemed to be a very nice man, but that was just a couple brief meetings. Back then he was being held back from "privleges" because of his involvement in the PGA....he really didnt have time for much then other than being a good publisher...he was running his own company or course design or something (http://www.mccumbergolf.com/markMcCumber.htm) .. I have heard that he is either a MS or elder now...I thought he retired, but wikipedia says he still plays on the Champion's Tour...but hasnt won an event on it.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_McCumber)... I would have to ask a sister who just moved to my area from his congo if she knows more about him...

Oh..and wiki says that the Champion's Tour IS the old Senior Tour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champions_Tour). The name change occurred in Oct 2002....who knew?

Snakes ()

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Fat Freak - I'm assuming your list is of still active Bethelites??

No, at least in my handful of additions. All the others were copied from posts prior to my sorted snapshots.

I met Mark McCumber, the pro golfer ...

Well, aren't you the gold mine of info on Bro McCumber? Yes, he does seem the nice guy from events I've seen him when he on the leaderboard. I also saw him in a father / son event -- which means his son is quite the golfer as well. It would be an even greater event to see him come and post here some day.

Here's a challenge for you if you're ever tuned in, Mark McCumber. I'll play you on my turf, Camden (AR) Country Club, for $10 a hole, match play format. [to me, $180 would be a bargain -- some 4 hours to pick his brain and share a few thoughts as well.]

Len Miller

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

yes was at patterson in the early 90s did u kow him?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

bluesapphire, Yep, I knew him. Now you've confirmed the stories I'd heard.

Seeker4, I believe Chains stayed in Brooklyn when Art Dept moved up to Patterson. Spatz are up at Patterson. Art Dept took over Photog, so George went to Art and Phyllis went to Bethel Office. I decline to comment about the Gary and Barbara split...

The list includes some who have left and some deceased.

I better shutup before I blow my cover... and my other informant's cover

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

FF:

aren't you the gold mine of info on Bro McCumber

LOL..one of the few "celebs" I have ever met... hey, someone has to have met him. (and wiki and google are just a click away.) I don't know him personally other than meeting him the one time I visited Jacksonville.

I did watch him on TV not long after that meeting. If I recall, he was within a stroke of either winning a tournament or tying to force a playoff...Instead of really casing the shot, he just sort of walked up to the ball and hit it without much care...and missed the hole... I don't know what was up with that. Never forgot it though.

Snakes ()

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I recognize a few from the Farm:

Doug Bean, Frank Dematis, Geoff Hearney, Chris Doro, Butch and Sheri Brainard, Ken Johnson

I also remember Peter krolczyk, Jim & leslie abrams and a few more...

• marmot
    marmot

Jack Jones?

• slmdf
    slmdf

Billy - Do you know if Joe and Jana Brown are still JW's?

Seeker - when were you you at Bethel? I was there 91-94. Worked in the office (photography/art). We seem to know a lot of the same people. Did I know you?

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Hello from South Africa

Marmot... my mom and dad got married about 35 years ago and I am sure that the elder who did their wedding talk was someone name Jack Jones and his wife was Estrella... they were definitely American or Canadian - common name, but could they have been the same people?

When I was a teen in the 90's - there was great excitment in the congregation, because we 3 people from brooklyn were joining our congregation - Robert Canada and Carmine and Rebecca Santorelli - Anyone know them?

Boo

• marmot
    marmot

Princess - yep, that's the one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit