The Natural Beauty of Your Neighborhood

by compound complex 293 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I am in the desert again. After reupholstering the car seats in heavy leather-like vinyl to match the leather trim that could be saved, saying to myself, Well, I'll never be in the desert again. Wrong.

There is a beauty to the desert. It can show itself as barren, as wild, as lifeless, as sly and hidden, depending on the time and place. It can be flat floor or high chaparral. And there really is life, though sly and hidden at times.

But it doesn't feed my soul.

But in the desert am I, and at least I have some of the things that make it bearable: a mesa rises across the street, exposing its layers of formation, and rabbits and road runners and qual - while not plentiful - make the occasional appearance to remind me there is still native life here. There is also the occasional coyote sighting, along with the more frequent evening yips and howls in the air.

I constantly feel I am only conditionally here, conditionally welcome, conditionally safe. If I knew more about the conditions, I could meet them and be done with it, and feel this is my home rather than a temporary wayside on my way to the side of something else.

The weather is perfection right now, 60's and occasional 70's; March is a blustery month with high winds through the channel of mountains - not quite a valley - broken locally by the mesa.

When the true warm weather comes, it can be a nourishing, cleansing, healing warmth that pervades the entire body through and through. And yet - I hold myself back. Something holds me back. I am here...conditionally, and something doesn't quite let me relax in this pool of heat that has been here before and is coming again.

It's a kind of suburbia here, I think most of us live in this neighborhood because we value our peace, the quiet, the way we can weve to each other on the way in and out without the need for more extensive engagement. When the drunk hit the telephone pole that crashed into our neighbors car, we are there to find what may be needed, to provide a vehicle description, to cover the broken window in case of rain; but we won't be within shaking hands distance again until another event calls for it.

A brief walk to the corner and the sidewalk ends, and the mesa with its surrounding undeveloped land beckons one to a brief hike - down to the left and you might walk to the next collector street, where a fast food place and post office can be found; up the hill and the "valley" is spread out, with the entire Las Vegas Strip laid out (the fireworks on New Years and July 4th are spectacular); way around to the right you can follow a pocket of land that might some day be turned into residential some day, depending on the housing market.

But for now: drive ten minutes to the BLM areas and hike into the "wasteland" that is the desert; drive 45 minutes up into the lush pine forests of Mt. Charleston; or walk through the alternating developed/undeveloped sections under a bright sun in cool air, while the cool air is still there...

Provisionally. That's the word I've been looking for. Enjoy it...provisionally. It feels...unsure.

And either I will be here in the desert for a while, or I will not. If I knew what it is that makes it provisional, I would know how long I might be here. Alas, all I can say is that I am in the desert for now.

And I hope to learn to enjoy it while I am here - until I am not - and then I will see about enjoying where I next find myself.

I place near the ocean, perhaps.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings void eater:

... but we won't be within shaking hands distance again until another event calls for it.

I relate to your sense of isolation - the desert and the "desert" (that aloneness and insuperable separation from others) - and hope that that which is, at present, conditional and provisional for you might nevertheless afford you some little serenity.

While the words apply to the anguish of unrequited love and missing those whom we cherish - "If you can't love the one you want, love the one you're with" - you can substitute a few different words in order to apply these words of hopeful resignation to your situation: "If you can't be where you'd love to be, love where you are."

Your description of the desert - dripping with bittersweet melancholia and longing - is beautiful ...

Thank you,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

I am chilled to the bone - absolutely. I don't even care.

I awoke for the usual reason and looked out the window.

She beckoned; I hearkened. La Luna was as remarkable as any exquisite beauty
    could possibly be. Full and round, gleaming supernally, for all she was worth. I wanted
    to touch her but felt overwhelmed by the giant sentinels who, likewise, were reaching for her -
    barren arms stretching longingly upward. Yet for all their height - ridiculously superior
    to my own - those immense trees could no more touch her silvery face than I.

Wouldn't it be perfectly dazzling if there were snow upon the trees and ground? I would even
    dare walk the road at 2:00 a.m., wild animals scurrying about furtively.

If only to realize more fully the unbelievable beauty of a moonlit night. I am wide awake ...

I want this dream to last forever.............

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yesterday was a typical March day of brisk and blowy breezes, gusts that swept away all remnants of earlier storm clouds.

I remarked (to myself, as no one generally accompanies me on my daily walk) on that day before yesterday, when evening was closing in and the skies were staged with a munificence of stacked scoops of French vanilla, that Vulcan was at work on his thunderbolts. A monstrous, anvil-shaped cloud of no humanly measurable size, framed by a mass of cumulus, sat perched intransigent upon the distant mountain. The face of this billowy expanse was in shadow while its backside glowed sherbet-orange, catching Sol's departing rays.

Memories of Disney's FANTASIA and Beethoven's "Pastoral" ...

• compound complex
    compound complex

After a spate of showers and 30 degree dips in temperature, we, in NorCal, once again enjoy our annual false spring.

This morning I had to get out to enjoy the warming rays and see how they played light and shadow upon our abundant flora. Most remarkable is the sweep of flowering trees in our neighborhood. They are still at their height of bloom, though some blossoms, wisked off by gentle breezes and descending randomly like confetti, must give way to the newly emerging green.

In the distance is the world's smallest mountain range, strutting about like a saucy bantam rooster on the expansive valley plain. The looming, snow-clad coastal range, deep blue in sharp relief against a cloudless sky, smiles indulgently over the dollop of mud that fell out of God's hip pocket during Creation.

I have all the beauty I can handle right here at home ...

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

CoCo: Ah, the bantam rooster...does he flirt with La Luna amongst the reaching arms? Is there a perfume of pine as dear Sol makes his way, displacing the perfect near-blue light of the night? Does wakefulness stretch from the left hand side of darkness into a golden maple syrup morning?

I do not miss the downtown Silicon Valley mornings of up and at 'em. I could find myself deeply nostalgic for the nights and days of life through your eyes, though.

Cheers...!

• compound complex
    compound complex

A neighborly wave, VoidEater,

Alas, a kindred spirit ... I transcend the real, like those blossoms wafting effortlessly in the breeze, as I absorb your measured eloquence.

I salute you, Poet.

A humble and appreciative,

CoCo

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

We actually live in a gated community on a golf course. So we have rolling hills, trees, and well maintained areas surrounding our homes. All the houses here are "fingerprint" homes, designed by each buyer. That gives us a huge variety in the facades. We have anywhere from craftsman style to pillared antebellum styles. And anywhere from one to 3 stories. All the yards are large, we sit on one acre. While there is a uniformity in the structured landscaping, some have added fun and colorful touches. I have bright pink roses in my landscaping to soften the harshness of the manicured look. There are still many empty lots that are kept clean and mowed by the golf course groundkeepers. Coming in from the front gate the street dips into a deep gully where wildlife still roam. None of the yards back into another yard, all have open land behind. Some have the golf course in their yards, but I wanted more privacy than that with 3 kids. Our yard backs up to trees and a creek, and when it rains you can hear it flowing. We have deer, fox, coyote, and coons who wander thru the yards to the empty lots.

It is beautiful here. We ride our bikes and walk, even at night. My daughters are selling lemonade to the golfers right now, they are saving for a drum set.

momz

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Momz,

Thank you very much for that beautiful description of the gated community you and the beasties inhabit. I can relate to much of what you have said. Our gates control the influx of two-legged critters on wheels but not so the indigenous wildlife: they have absolute and undisputed free rein.

What a wonderful environment in which to raise your kiddies!

Gratefully,

CoCo

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

CoCo: I am but a mild echoing wave along the surface of the lake you have skipped a stone upon...

Momz: Lovely indeed - yet I fear for the peace of the sancturary should the tykes make their goal!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit