The Natural Beauty of Your Neighborhood

by compound complex 293 Replies latest jw friends

• Nowman
    Nowman

I live in a historical town in Northern Illinois. I love the old homes with each having its own personality when I walk by. I wonder what family lived in that particular house in 1918? Were they happy I wonder? I love the various types of 100 + year old trees that are still so very healthy and rich looking. I live in a house built in 1918ish. All original woodwork. In fact, I have a picture from 1936 that I got at the county Historical Society, where there are 3 liitle kids in the winter time on a sleigh in front of the house I live in! It is so cool! My house looks the same, even though the picture was black and white. The children in front of my house looked so happy, that makes me happy.

I love to look around at my gardening too...I take walks in my neighborhood all the time, the care and concern of preservation is also what I notice. I want to preserve too. They just do not build homes like they used too.

Nikki

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

last night my wife and I, went for an after dinner walk, very nice southern california evening, on our way back I notice laying in the gutter a torn in half Awake magazine, I told my wife isn't that a beautiful sight!!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Brinjen, Nowman and Worldly Andre,

I enjoyed your posts; thank you for sharing your observations while strolling in your locale. Watch out for falling coconuts and what you might find in the gutter!
    Our community is heavily into historical preservation, too. We have the requisite "Hysterical" Society - very nit-picky, so I'm told.
    I, too, have wondered about those who once lived in a particular house. Our family home of 50 years ago has certainly changed. The homes - mostly of the early 1900s - have been beautifully restored, including ours. The neighborhood is quite tony now, the homes "worth" around 1 million plu$. Fifty years ago they sold for around $10,000 or so.
    The walks there, remembered from my childhood, were always a source of joy and wonderment to me. When I go back, it's essentially the same, but for the home improvements and the growth of the flora.

Continue to walk the streets, the glens and the dells, and drink deeply of nature's beauty!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

I've taken the same route three times now. Once at dawn, another time mid-morning and, finally, at twilight. The atmospheric conditions and lighting factor into the look and "feel" of the scenery. I preferred the cooler early morning for the exercise aspect of the walk, but much preferred the mid-morning one for the blue sky and brilliance of colors. That was the most fulfilling jog of the three.

Happy Trails -

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Friends,

My usual early-morning walk took on an entirely new meaning for me today. However often I see the same landscape, I continue to gaze in wonder at the austere beauty of the distant, smoky-blue mountains. In middle ground are rolling hills, forested in deepest green, rooflines peeking coyly through the rounded maze of plump live and black oaks. Random pines and cedars soar proudly above their stout brethren.
    The "new meaning" mentioned above is that I will incorporate this scenery into my newly-commissioned murals. After 50 years of endeavoring to express the glory of nature on canvas, I never tire of improving upon my art. I imitate nature, yes, but it is impossible to improve upon her sublime beauty. She is without peer.

CoCo

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    The "new meaning" mentioned above is that I will incorporate this scenery into my newly-commissioned murals. After 50 years of endeavoring to express the glory of nature on canvas, I never tire of improving upon my art. I imitate nature, yes, but it is impossible to improve upon her sublime beauty. She is without peer.

I can only imagine that your new murals will be amazing. I hope you'll let me see them when you're done.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Lovers of Nature!

My usual early morning walk had me going uphill both ways. Quite a climb. I visited different courts - cul-de-sacs. I came across a home of no particular architectural interest but for an oak tree climbing through its roof. She spread her leafy arms over an otherwise nondescript roofline.
    The native oaks and pines are generally well tended, but I cannot understand why a homeowner will buy a tree from a nursery and then proceed to plant it under one of the former. No thought appears to be given to proximity - the eventual spread of the sapling's canopy, and so forth. One can readily see, however, where a professional landscape architect has lent a masterful hand.
    The crackle and snap of a blistering hot week is why I do my meanderings so very, very early in the day.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Lovers of Nature,

Missing my usual early-morning hike, I opted to proceed regardless at mid-morning. No matter the heat. A deliciously cool delta breeze wafted over me and made an otherwise arduous, sunstroked jaunt a total pleasure.
    Glancing upward, I noted a gibbous moon, turned downward in a faintly blue sky, pouring out some imaginary lunar juice. The hills in the distance, a little misty from the unusual drop in temperature, I would imagine, reminded me of Tuscany. Lengthy flat patches of umber and sienna were crisscrossed by vineyards, laid out in an orderly fashion quite at odds with the jumble of native vegetation.
    I see something new every time - with my eyes, with my imagination ....

Now - to the easel and canvas!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends,

How's your autumn proceeding? It's getting into full sway up here in the mountains. While not entirely identical to that glorious riot of color on display currently in the East, California mountain scenery is - how do you say? - breathtakingly brilliant!

Liquidambars, silver maple, dogwood, burnished oak, ornamental plum, virginia creeper, elkhorn ... The liquidambars here are "natural" [native], which turn yellow, Fiesta and Palo Alto. I've forgotten who's who; one of them looks like 2 or 3 trees-in-one for all the contrast in color: burgundy, orange, yellow ...

I look down the vale at the beautifuuly maintained golf course - it's a sweep of verdant turf, profuse color and a beautifully balanced bevy of tall and stately evergreens.

I think I could get used to this ...

CoCo

• compound complex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit